• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cash only?!?! No grades?!? 8k?!? Sign me right up!

15 posts in this topic

DAREDEVIL 1-380 UNBELEIVABLE HOT VERY HIGH GR

kngpnofall, who's been on a daredevil buying spree (inclduding Darth's DD 288 CGC NM 9.4 (or something) for like $100) is apparently selling all the daredevils he's been buying over the past couple of months in a run (including that 288). Not a very inviting listing: "I WILL NOT SEND SCANS OF BOOKS OR BREAK THE COLLECTION. WINNER NEEDS TO FLY OR DRIVE DOWN TO SEE AND GET THE BOOKS. CASH ONLY!" He also only grades 6 of the books. The rest are "ALL OF THE BOOKS YOU GET ARE VERY STRICTLY GRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY FINE TO NEAR-MINT IN CONDITION!! "

I'm not positive it happend. It's about the right time for it, though, and a bunch of books I was watching moved significantly over night. A couple of them moved in lockstep (four of the Gaines File Panics, for example are all at $76.) It could just be regular bidding, of course. If it is- they'd better hurry the heck up mad.gif

Yes, they better hurry, I want to get my bids in before too late on Friday, but I want to see the move before I do, just to see if things are looking the way I think they are. I just bid on a bunch of Spideys that were cheap, so we'll see if they stay cheap.

and its an "ASSOME" collection. Some of the worst grammar I have EVER seen. Sounds like he will jump the winner and take the cash. Make sure if you win not to meet in the alley of his choice! wink.gif

I hope the winner asks him to individually giftwrap each of those 180 books, since he offers that service in the auction. With nice big bows and peppermints tied to the ribbons. And a gift card with a different name and message for each book.

-- Joanna

This guy sells cars for several thousand dollars, and is used to having people have to come to him to pick up the merchandise. Why all the sarcasm directed towards this seller (his bread and butter recently has been car sales, does not strike me as a knock you on the back of the neck with a sap and run off with your money guy)? If he just broke out the books he scanned he would be looking at possibly making a few thousand dollars off of them. I bet he spent about 5 thousand to aquire all the books in the collection, looking for a few thousand in profit from what may truly be a high grade collection (and the scans he had of issue one does not strike me as a book that is junk)...nothing wrong there.

Not to mention that if I was going to buy a complete run of books from someone unknown, and spend that much money...it might be smart to invest a few hundred and fly down to meet first in a public place, and then if everything is kosher, follow the person home so you can actually view the books. Let me repeat---upon viewing his feedback I noticed that he made almost 8 grand just by selling a couple of used cars, he does not come off as someone trying to rip someone off.

If I was him I would not ask for less than 7 grand if he has to re-list the books (yeah, he is not selling them cheap, but I suspect he is not grossly over-pricing these books either). Heck, I sold a collection of less than 200 raw Daredevils (which included near complete Miller runs, not always in the highest grade either) that were in Very Good/Fine - VF/NM (most of the few issues I had before 100 were in Fine/Fine+ at best) for over 400 dollars...and believe me, a lot of the DDs I sold could be found for a fair price at stores, and as I already noted, were not always in the best of shape.

I can appreciate the fun we have on these boards at the expense of some clueless sellers as much as the next person, but in this instance the seller is probably on the level and certainly not clueless (how many people on this forum would pounce on this collection if it was priced in the 5-6 thousand range, quite a few I bet, and I know that several people on these forums could easily afford to do so).

By the way Joanna, the above is really directed to all, not just you specifically...sincere apologies if you feel I am trying to tear you a new one...I promise you I am not (I am a really easy to get-along with comic reader/collector).

Christopher H.

Christopher,

I don't know anything about the seller, the books or his past, but why on earth would he offer gift-wrapping as an option (and pay the extra quarter so he could officially list that service) on a full run of comics? That's what I was talking about. It sounds very silly to me. When they had penny gift days, I offered it on most of my auctions. But I was selling individual items. I've got wrapping paper and scotch tape -- no biggie. But if I had been selling nearly 200 comics at one time you can bet your collection I wouldn't have spent the penny.

He may be as legit as they come. I have no opinion on that. But I do question his intelligence for choosing the gift-wrap/gift-card option on that particular auction.

-- Joanna

I can appreciate the fun we have on these boards at the expense of some clueless sellers as much as the next person, but in this instance the seller is probably on the level and certainly not clueless (how many people on this forum would pounce on this collection if it was priced in the 5-6 thousand range, quite a few I bet, and I know that several people on these forums could easily afford to do so).

If I thought this was 100% legit (meaning all the books he didn't grade really were in the grade range stated and the #1 really was NM-) and he was willing to take normal payment methods (meaning ones that offered me some sort of protection) and he was willing to ship the books, I would hit the buy it now, just to upgrade a few issues and then sell the remainder for a profit. 8k, with current prices on Daredevils, is pitifully (cluelessly) cheap for a run in grade (a CGC nm- #1 would go in the 5-7 thousand dollar range by itself. The CGC 9.0 #7 would fetch a healthy four figures)

I don't think this this is 100% legit, though.

Why so many restrictions? Once we get to "cash only" on a comics auction, there are so many bells going off it's not even funny.

Assuming he's on the up and up in terms of having books to sell (which I actually do- I know for a fact he has at least some of the books) is the guy just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? With all the restrictions on this auction, and the way he's listing it (a full run) he's sliced his buyer pool by (I'm guessing) 99%.

Why not send scans of individual books?

Why not break up the run and make 2-3 times the money?

Why not grade the individual books?

Why not send the remainder of the #1-10 to CGC and make more than 8k on those alone?

etc etc. etc.

In other words why not do any of the things that could net him not only that 8k, but much much more? I don't know, but it makes me think of that old ebay standby- if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

And while we're at it, if you can't see the humor of him listing it with the gift wrapping service...

The #1 looks trimmed up top, possibly on the right side also. Can't tell for certain from his scans, but it's certain enough to not risk it without it being in a blue-top CGC holder.

A restored 8.5 to 9.0 copy of #1 might still be worth it under the price he wants, but there's a lot of in-person analysis of the early issues and math to be done before you could say that for sure.