• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is "Unmolested" the new term for non-manipulation?

49 posts in this topic

I'm noticing in more and more posts and on consignment shops I am seeing the word "unmolested" as a term to describe a comic collectible that has not been pressed or otherwise tampered.

Do we really need such a negative term to describe something positive? I know I don't hang out here like I used to but gesh.

Discuss amongst yourselves. :gossip:

I'm noticing in more and more posts and on consignment shops I am seeing the word "unmolested" as a term to describe a collectible that has not been pressed or otherwise tampered.

Do we really need such a negative term to describe something positive? I know I don't hang out here like I used to but gesh.

I prefer 'virgin'. :cloud9:

I'm noticing in more and more posts and on consignment shops I am seeing the word "unmolested" as a term to describe a comic collectible that has not been pressed or otherwise tampered.

It's not negative enough....the term should be "uncontaminated". :insane:

I'm noticing in more and more posts and on consignment shops I am seeing the word "unmolested" as a term to describe a collectible that has not been pressed or otherwise tampered.

Virgin is probably a good word.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Unmolested has a nice ring. Not pressed by greedy bastids is another. But hey I press books.. (shrug)

For what its worth I prefer "virgin" books as well.

(thumbs u

Unmolested has a nice ring. Not pressed by greedy bastids is another. But hey I press books.. (shrug)

For what its worth I prefer "virgin" books as well.

It's a common term used for food, wool, etc.

If a book has been "open and read", it is no longer virgin.

Depends on what people want to associate with the word virgin.

For people it's one thing.

For wool it's another.

For olive oil it's again something completely different.

For comics....I guess it will be whatever people accept as a majority.

Careful, Joey, your agenda's showing. :baiting:

By the time a book gets to the "pressed" stage it falls under the tramp or whore category.

Maybe it's time for another PSA hm

Yeah, after I started referring to books bought off the rack as "unmanipulated", I heard back that it wasn't so if they'd ever been opened. ;)

Much easier to say and write "unmanipulated" than "never restored, trimmed, cleaned, spot-pressed, or squished-into-a-pancake-pressed". However, if the consensus is that the former is unclear...

In personifying the reading of a comic versus the pressing a comic, reading seems like a closer comparison to sex than pressing--pressing seems more akin to plastic surgery or some other kind of beautifying procedure. hm

Actually, if a book hasn't been pressed, what about 'unrestored'? hm

That works for me...but does a neutral term like "unrestored" really communicate the right amount of moral outrage? (shrug)