• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The four books of the future?

90 posts in this topic

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

I have to comment on this... "Ordians" instead of "audience"? How did you get that? That's actually kind of impressive, in a hooked-on-phonics kinda way.

Well I do posts in a fast way sometimes. This was - admittet - too fast. Off course I know that 'ordians' correctly should be spelled 'audiance' but I do generally consider myself better in math than language. :luhv:

The point stressed here is :

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

Yep, prices have never been lower! EVER! lol

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

I have to comment on this... "Ordians" instead of "audience"? How did you get that? That's actually kind of impressive, in a hooked-on-phonics kinda way.

Well I do posts in a fast way sometimes. This was - admittet - too fast. Off course I know that 'ordians' correctly should be spelled 'audiance' but I do generally consider myself better in math than language. :luhv:

Don`t worry about it, this is a comic message board we are posting on and not a thesis we are writing. Just post and have fun as you do bring up good points. (thumbs u

a lot of good posts get interupted/derailed with people complaining that they used there instead of thier or they forgot to capitilize a letter. Just post, we are not posting for college professors. We are talking funny books. ;)

DISCLAIMER: this is a continuation of the Supes 1 vs. Bats 1 argument.

Bats 1 in low grade is set to surpass Supes 1 in value for the first time in the next few years. For instance, Supes 1 3.0 is a 40K book. Bats 1 3.0 is a 30K book. The Bats 1 3.0 might be worth about the same as a Supes 1 3.0 in about 2 years.

Supply is double on the Bats 1 vs. Supes 1, but the demand is quadruple.

I don't believe the cooling off that Rick is referring to is going to happen on Bats 1. Not anytime soon at least. Time will tell as more unrestored copies hit the market and the supply is loosened up.

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

Well, I believe they were all 10c once. :insane:

Well, I believe they were all 10c once. :insane:

that was his point.

Don`t worry about it, this is a comic message board we are posting on and not a thesis we are writing. Just post and have fun as you do bring up good points. (thumbs u

a lot of good posts get interupted/derailed with people complaining that they used there instead of thier or they forgot to capitilize a letter. Just post, we are not posting for college professors. We are talking funny books. ;)

Well at least some college professors :preach: I think is actually into funny books! Thank you for the kind words and your open minded attitude :foryou: regarding my misspelling of audience as ordhiance. It was primarily meant as a joke against those posters who derail threads complaining about minor formalities - such as the spelling of audiense lol - in stead of taking a stand and contributing to the substantial claims / points of view in a given thread. :sorry:

I think you better rethink where Wolverine came from, as well as other X-men of the movies.

Hulk 340 is not cheap for one.

I hope movies have little or no affect on comic prices. I'm a collector and I don't want any prices to go up. Regards,

Hulk 340 not cheap? I usually can't give the book away

I'll take them. I'll even pay you for shipping. As much as you want, in any condition.

:popcorn:

People. Seriously.

Can we PLEASE get rid of this ridiculous notion that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker somehow has made Batman #1 catapult from obscurity to mega-key?

Please?

IT'S FREAKIN' BATMAN #1.

It's BEEN a mega-key for 70 YEARS. It's not going to become an even MEGIER key because of a movie that will be forgotten in 5 years or so.

If....IF...'Tec #40 was Joker's first appearance, you MIGHT have a claim. MIGHT. But that likely wouldn't have added much even to that one, because of Nicholson's Joker, and even Cesar Romero's Joker.

And 'Tec #40 is not Joker's 1st App.

Joker isn't even the focus of Batman #1. He doesn't appear on the cover. Batman #1 is a super mega key because it's BATMAN #1. It's not going to "become" even greater simply because it's the Joker's 1st appearance. That little "#1" on the cover trumps everything, by a very long shot.

People. Seriously.

Can we PLEASE get of this ridiculous notion that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker somehow has made Batman #1 catapult from obscurity to mega-key?

Please?

IT'S FREAKIN' BATMAN #1.

It's BEEN a mega-key for 70 YEARS. It's not going to become an even MEGIER key because of a movie that will be forgotten in 5 years or so.

If....IF...'Tec #40 was Joker's first appearance, you MIGHT have a claim. MIGHT. But that likely wouldn't have added much even to that one, because of Nicholson's Joker, and even Cesar Romero's Joker.

And 'Tec #40 is not Joker's 1st App.

Joker isn't even the focus of Batman #1. He doesn't appear on the cover. Batman #1 is a super mega key because it's BATMAN #1. It's not going to "become" even greater simply because it's the Joker's 1st appearance. That little "#1" on the cover trumps everything, by a very long shot.

That seems to be the way it is but I honestly think that the fact that it is the Joker's first appearence should be more of a driving force behind the sale of the book. Obviously everyone is going to appreciate the issue for different reasons so it's not really my place to judge.

I'm just saying that Batman #1 being the first appearence of the most famous comic-villian of all-time should be more than enough to cement its place in history. The fact that his first appearence (as well as Catwoman's) happens to appear in that "#1" should make Batman #1 a much more "mega-key" first issue than perhaps any other in history (besides Superman #1).

It's taking the significance of a book the caliber of lets say, a Detective #38 (referring to the Joker's 1st app. aspect) and fusing it together with the significance of the issue being a "#1".

I do not view Ledger's performance to being something that will be forgotten five years down the road. Heck, I have not even forgotten about Kevin Spacey's performance as Lex Luther five years ago. A new interpretation brought to life with a bit of a new flavor on-screen "could" have at least some impact.

Batman #1 wouldn't be worth any less...or any more....even if Joker never appeared in it. 99.99945% of Batman #1's value is because it is Batman #1.

The Joker AND Catwoman both get short shrift because they first appeared in Batman #1.

I guarantee you...no value is added to Batman #1 for being Joker's 1st appearance. I promise you. I cannot emphasize this enough. No Joker, and the book is still worth what it's worth. The fact that it's Batman #1 trumps everything else, by a long shot.

If Joker had first appeared in Boy Commandos #1, or Star Spangled Comics #1, or even Wonder Woman #1, then those books would have added value.

But because the Joker's first appearance is in the first issue of the second most popular comic book character in history, its significance is, sadly, buried. There's no judgement involved. No one is being told what to like, either.

It is simply recognizing that Batman is light years more important to comics than the Joker is, which makes Batman #1 valuable solely because it's Batman #1. It is already as "mega-key" as it can possibly be, for the sole and only reason that it is Batman #1. It already is the second most important first issue in comics history because it's BATMAN #1.

(thumbs u

Comparable example: Magneto's first appearance is in X-Men #1. If it had been in #4. The value of X-Men #1 is not based on Magneto's appearance. It is because it's X-Men #1. Had Magneto's first appearance been #4, that book would rival X-Men #1 like Avengers #4 rivals Avengers #1. But it's not.

Batman #1 wouldn't be worth any less...or any more....even if Joker never appeared in it. 99.99945% of Batman #1's value is because it is Batman #1.

The Joker AND Catwoman both get short shrift because they first appeared in Batman #1.

I guarantee you...no value is added to Batman #1 for being Joker's 1st appearance. I promise you. I cannot emphasize this enough. No Joker, and the book is still worth what it's worth. The fact that it's Batman #1 trumps everything else, by a long shot.

If Joker had first appeared in Boy Commandos #1, or Star Spangled Comics #1, or even Wonder Woman #1, then those books would have added value.

But because the Joker's first appearance is in the first issue of the second most popular comic book character in history, its significance is, sadly, buried. There's no judgement involved. No one is being told what to like, either.

It is simply recognizing that Batman is light years more important to comics than the Joker is, which makes Batman #1 valuable solely because it's Batman #1. It is already as "mega-key" as it can possibly be, for the sole and only reason that it is Batman #1. It already is the second most important first issue in comics history because it's BATMAN #1.

(thumbs u

Comparable example: Magneto's first appearance is in X-Men #1. If it had been in #4. The value of X-Men #1 is not based on Magneto's appearance. It is because it's X-Men #1. Had Magneto's first appearance been #4, that book would rival X-Men #1 like Avengers #4 rivals Avengers #1. But it's not.

That which Batman is, is intrinsically linked (was that spelled right?) to what the Joker is. You cant split'em up talking about that:

"Batman is light years more important to comics than the Joker is".

They are what they are in terms of the bond that ties them together in some thing that (sometimes mostly) look like a war (of love). So it Is exactly the greatness of what the Batman is - that makes the Joker so damn huge and important.

If you want to measure them as isolated characters in terms of importance, you miss out on that inherent magnetism that constitutes them. They live through each other. :preach:

And now calculate (meditate) on you own what this argument translates into regarding the Bats#1 book and what it will be remembered for - and why ... Me think its easy. (thumbs u

I guarantee you...no value is added to Batman #1 for being Joker's 1st appearance. I promise you. I cannot emphasize this enough. No Joker, and the book is still worth what it's worth. The fact that it's Batman #1 trumps everything else, by a long shot

You're wrong! :baiting:

I guarantee you...no value is added to Batman #1 for being Joker's 1st appearance. I promise you. I cannot emphasize this enough. No Joker, and the book is still worth what it's worth. The fact that it's Batman #1 trumps everything else, by a long shot

What he said :sumo:

...but thats apples to oranges. Batman 1 is NOT Batman first appearance.

XMen 1 IS the characters first appearance.

you have to pick a similar comparison where a character first appeared somewhere else THEN got their own book, AND in that #1 was the first appearance of a major villain.

there may not be a comparable situation... but your analogy falls a bit short.

IMO, I always viewed Batman 1 and a number one. I think it obscures Joker and Catwomans first appearances... and even more than in cases where the character does not make the cover . But over the years I have heard many many opinions that Batman 1s value is in large part due to Joker and Catwoman.

Either way, its a big key with a lot going for it... even though its so common!

I think Kirk fought the Ordians in the original Star Trek.

Book #1: Tec27

First the Batmania that have been escalating in general pop culture ever since the Jack Nicholsen Joker movie. (Was the instructor Tim Burton?). First Batman is obvious. His got a lot going for him. Comming movie, etc.

Book #2: Bats #1 (first apperance of the joker)

The entire Heath Ledger / Dark Knight frenzy on a global scale, suddenly demonstrated that it is possible to make a great blockbuster movie where the Joker pushes Bats aside and threatens to take over the movie. When I left the cinema I had the joker on my inner screen (not Bats). The Joker is on the move.

Book #3: AF 15

The comming reboot of Spidey. And the huge succes of the recent movies have long ago put this character in circulation world wide.

Book #4: X-men 1

Hollywood apparantly is now buildung the entire x-men universe up from the bottom with (i) origin movies, (ii) solo movies and (iii) and movies containing the different x-men teams in action. On the silver screen x-men as a concept have taken off like no had thought they would. Where other other superheroes have bitterly failed (FF, DD), - the x-men have been suprisingly embraced by a global ordians.

With the recent soft prices across the board, perhaps these are the grails to target for the time being. Why? Ansawer: These four books contain the first apperances (ever) of these four superhero concepts. And that is four concepts that *could* go ballistic in generel pop-culture for the comming years.

And right now the 1st apperances can be had at an all time low, pricewise.

Shouldn't Action #1 top that list?

Off course you are right to a certain extent. Action #1 is king. But its just that lately supes hasnt really picked up steam on the big screen. Like it or not - Hollywood has an immense impact on a worldwide scale with the financial muscle of that movie machine. The typical 2010 youngster seem thus to have Bats, Spidey and X-men on their radar. Not som much Supes really. He is surely the king for an older generation. And rightly so. But is just seems times are a changing some how. And for me it seems that the characters of the mentioned four books have somehow made it through to en enormous ordiance. Because these characters somehow worked on the big screen. Something clicked. For others it didnt click. I dont think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

But then again I could be wrong all day long ...

You are only right to a "certain extent" in regard to Action Comics # 1???

What he said :sumo:

Yeah, how can't the 1st appearance of arguably the all-time best comic villain not add value?