• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The four books of the future?

90 posts in this topic

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

Book #1: Tec27

First the Batmania that have been escalating in general pop culture ever since the Jack Nicholsen Joker movie. (Was the instructor Tim Burton?). First Batman is obvious. His got a lot going for him. Comming movie, etc.

Book #2: Bats #1 (first apperance of the joker)

The entire Heath Ledger / Dark Knight frenzy on a global scale, suddenly demonstrated that it is possible to make a great blockbuster movie where the Joker pushes Bats aside and threatens to take over the movie. When I left the cinema I had the joker on my inner screen (not Bats). The Joker is on the move.

Book #3: AF 15

The comming reboot of Spidey. And the huge succes of the recent movies have long ago put this character in circulation world wide.

Book #4: X-men 1

Hollywood apparantly is now buildung the entire x-men universe up from the bottom with (i) origin movies, (ii) solo movies and (iii) and movies containing the different x-men teams in action. On the silver screen x-men as a concept have taken off like no had thought they would. Where other other superheroes have bitterly failed (FF, DD), - the x-men have been suprisingly embraced by a global ordians.

With the recent soft prices across the board, perhaps these are the grails to target for the time being. Why? Ansawer: These four books contain the first apperances (ever) of these four superhero concepts. And that is four concepts that *could* go ballistic in generel pop-culture for the comming years.

And right now the 1st apperances can be had at an all time low, pricewise.

I think you better rethink where Wolverine came from, as well as other X-men of the movies.

Hulk 181 is not cheap for one. The old X-Men are much different than the movies characters.

I hope movies have little or no affect on comic prices. I'm a collector and I don't want any prices to go up. Regards,

Welcome to a dictionary and grammar book, unless this some horrible Google language translation gone awry? First time I've ever seen the word Ordian in context with comic books....twice!

Personally I could care less what the Top 4 or 10 books are or what they will be. I collect what I like...

I think you better rethink where Wolverine came from, as well as other X-men of the movies.

Hulk 340 is not cheap for one.

I hope movies have little or no affect on comic prices. I'm a collector and I don't want any prices to go up. Regards,

Hulk 340 not cheap? I usually can't give the book away

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

First the Batmania that have been escalating in general pop culture ever since the Jack Nicholsen Joker movie. (Was the instructor Tim Burton?). First Batman is obvious. His got a lot going for him. Comming movie, etc.

The entire Heath Ledger / Dark Knight frenzy on a global scale, suddenly demonstrated that it is possible to make a great blockbuster movie where the Joker pushes Bats aside and threatens to take over the movie. When I left the cinema I had the joker on my inner screen (not Bats). The Joker is on the move.

The comming reboot of Spidey. And the huge succes of the recent movies have long ago put this character in circulation world wide.

Hollywood apparantly is now buildung the entire x-men universe up from the bottom with (i) origin movies, (ii) solo movies and (iii) and movies containing the different x-men teams in action. On the silver screen x-men as a concept have taken off like no had thought they would. Where other other superheroes have bitterly failed (FF, DD), - the x-men have been suprisingly embraced by a global ordians.

With the recent soft prices across the board, perhaps these are the grails to target for the time being. Why? Ansawer: These four books contain the first apperances (ever) of these four superhero concepts. And that is four concepts that *could* go ballistic in generel pop-culture for the comming years.

Shouldn't Action #1 top that list?

The point stressed here is :

(i) that these particular four books has a lot going for them for the years to come

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

But perhaps I am wrong - what do I know lol

Why let truth stand in the way of fiction

Off course you are right to a certain extent. Action #1 is king. But its just that lately supes hasnt really picked up steam on the big screen. Like it or not - Hollywood has an immense impact on a worldwide scale with the financial muscle of that movie machine. The typical 2010 youngster seem thus to have Bats, Spidey and X-men on their radar. Not som much Supes really. He is surely the king for an older generation. And rightly so. But is just seems times are a changing some how. And for me it seems that the characters of the mentioned four books have somehow made it through to en enormous ordiance. Because these characters somehow worked on the big screen. Something clicked. For others it didnt click. I dont think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

But then again I could be wrong all day long ...

Why let truth stand in the way of fiction

Why let fiction stand in the way of truth ? (shrug)

Off course you are right to a certain extent. Action #1 is king. But its just that lately supes hasnt really picked up steam on the big screen. Like it or not - Hollywood has an immense impact on a worldwide scale with the financial muscle of that movie machine. The typical 2010 youngster seem thus to have Bats, Spidey and X-men on their radar. Not som much Supes really. He is surely the king for an older generation. And rightly so. But is just seems times are a changing some how. And for me it seems that the characters of the mentioned four books have somehow made it through to en enormous ordiance. Because these characters somehow worked on the big screen. Something clicked. For others it didnt click. I dont think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

But then again I could be wrong all day long ...

The year isn't half over and we have sales of 1M and 1.5M for Action #1. I don't think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

Welcome to a dictionary and grammar book, unless this some horrible Google language translation gone awry? First time I've ever seen the word Ordian in context with comic books....twice!

Personally I could care less what the Top 4 or 10 books are or what they will be. I collect what I like...

Spelling is regretable not alright? Then it must be because in school I became a Marvel zombie rather than a "bookworm". You can see what that brings with it lol

(i) that these particular four books has a lot going for them for the years to come

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

Hulk 340 is not cheap for one.

Hulk 340 not cheap? I usually can't give the book away

in 30 years, Hulk 181 will be up in price and eliminate more collectors from being able to afford them (although scarcity won't be a problem), and Hulk 340 will still be "cheap" and the next best cover to get for a Hulk/Wolvie battle cover ;)

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

Among the best of the best copies prices a perhaps not lowered that much. I dont know for sure.

But the bad economy is obviously influencing funny books as well as everything else as we speak. No many will deny that I think!

In terms of soft prices I was thinking the recent Tec27 7.0 (A) moderae sale at HA. *Very* low - even for a PLOD.

AF 15 is down about 30-40% across most grades.

Bats #1 went cheap in blue as well as in purple also in the mentioned HA auction.

X-men is the same I think.

You think other wise? (shrug)

while the prices are a bit softer on these 4 of late, they are still at or near all time highs...no where near all time low prices (shrug)

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

Among the best of the best copies prices a perhaps not lowered that much. I dont know for sure.

But the bad economy is obviously influencing funny books as well as everything else as we speak. No many will deny that I think!

In terms of soft prices I was thinking the recent Tec27 7.0 (A) moderae sale at HA. *Very* low - even for a PLOD.

AF 15 is down about 30-40% across most grades.

Bats #1 went cheap in blue as well as in purple also in the mentioned HA auction.

X-men is the same I think.

You think other wise? (shrug)

the 7.0 mod tec 27 was a bit lower due to the trimmed centerfold...it would likely have gone higher without the trim...but did seem likely a "bargain"

AF15 is indeed down about 20-40% in 7.0-8.5 grades... down about 20-30% in mid grade, but lower grades have been suprisingly resilient (down to flat)... but take away the 2007-8 run up, and they are selling higher than pre 2007 all time highs, so just a price correction, but I agree 100%, NOW is the time to pick up a nice AF15

bat 1 in blue is selling in ALL unrestored grades at all time highs... 1.0 selling for 13K (highest price ever), 2.5 selling at 22k+ (all time high)... 3.5 selling at 30K + (all time high) , 5.0 blue selling at 46-50K (all time high)...7.0 selling at 90K+ (all time high)...8.0 selling at 100K (all time high)...9.0 blue selling at 315K (all time high)... now is NOT the time to be buying batman 1 unrestored, as I suspect it will pull back a bit once some supply loosens up

bat 1 restored copies have been down, relative to unrestored prices, but are still selling if priced "properly", but unlike their unrestored counterparts which have almost doubled in price of late, they remain flat at best

xmen 1 across all grades is actually selling for gpa or higher (or right there)...