• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The four books of the future?

90 posts in this topic

That which Batman is, is intrinsically linked (was that spelled right?) to what the Joker is.

No he's not.

What a wacky statement.

You cant split'em up talking about that:

"Batman is light years more important to comics than the Joker is".

You most certainly can.

Batman = A character who has carried not one, but TWO titles for 70 years, in addition to several other titles over the decades. A character who has been the title character in no less than 2,000 different comic books.

Joker = A character who has been the title character in a grand total of 20 different comics.

They are what they are in terms of the bond that ties them together in some thing that (sometimes mostly) look like a war (of love). So it Is exactly the greatness of what the Batman is - that makes the Joker so damn huge and important.

Sorry...that's just not correct.

If you want to measure them as isolated characters in terms of importance, you miss out on that inherent magnetism that constitutes them. They live through each other. :preach:

And now calculate (meditate) on you own what this argument translates into regarding the Bats#1 book and what it will be remembered for - and why ... Me think its easy. (thumbs u

That's because you have an inflated view of the Joker that is not merited by reality.

Batman #1 is "remembered" because it's Batman #1.

Look, I'm the last person to discount the importance of the Joker. He's definitely one of the greatest villains ever created, and arguably the greatest. Of his first 10 cover appearances in Batman, starting with #11, I have 7 (including #11, his first Batman cover.) Of the 13 Bat books I own between #9 and #73, 7 of them are Joker covers. So I get it...I love the Joker, too.

But to claim that "Batman lives through the Joker" is just a gross overstatement, and ignores 70+ years of history, including Detective #27-44!

The Joker NEEDS Batman to exist. The reverse is most certainly not true.

NOW you are talking ... :applause:

I think the mods will soon limit the posting space for this thread lol

Listen: its just as if you start peeling Bruce Wayne - tearing off layer after layer then you gradually yourself into the Batman. Just like B. Wayne lives through the Batman, then the Batman lives through the darkness of what the Joker is. And at some point in the peeling proces rockmyamadus appears with the claim that there is nothing to peel cause everything is nicely separated in small neat boxes. lol

Just kidding': I respect your opinion. Just doesnt agree completely. (thumbs u

I cant help thinking that if one took the four books of the future for every age (GA up till moderns). Which four books would then come out on top if one picked THE four books of the future on the basis of the pool of all the selected books from all ages?

Remeber that 'the four books of the past' might not nescessary be 'the four books of the future' - (shrug)

My four books for the future:

Action Comics 1

Detective 27

Amazing Fantasy 15

Showcase 22

Four GA books for the future:

Action Comics 1

Detective 27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Four SA books for the future:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Showcase 22

X-men 1

Brave and the Bold 28

what about four moderns of the future? thats were the big money will be made.I am not talking bronze or copper either, books that have come out in the last 15 years.

Walking Dead # 1 day after day sells for at least $500 on Ebay, give me four moderns like that in the future and we can become very rich quick. :)

Sadly to say, "I'm not a modern comics collector/investor". My specialty is mainly before 1995. I stick to my knowledge and specialty. I sense some of the modern books (your definition of 15 years ago) with low print run may become GEMS for the future. Obliviously supply and demand will dictate any huge price movements in the future. The four books in the future in any of my categories will sustain above average growth for the long term 5-10 years. Nevertheless, most quality vintage comics had peaked and will be consolidating and remain stagnant for some 3-5 years just like the peak in early 1980's. (thumbs u

I wish you did get into the modern game as your knowledge about hot books like Showcase 22 are valuable, I would love to know your thoughts on post 1995 books.With moderns post 1995 as I like to call it you don`t have to invest huge amounts of money to get your money back, examples with golden age are I have to put up at least $ 20,000 for a ga key or silverage I have to put up about $10,000 for a key, here in the post 1995 ages the level field is leveled, clean(not much resto and pressing) and ripe for picking with little investment. of course it will be a lot of of work and luck just trying to figure out the next Walking Dead #1 but I find that as a challenging fun where as it is easy to pick golden age(Batman,Superman,Timely books) and silver age keys(Spider-man,X-men,FF). ;)

Ditto, comics have been popular enough since the 70's that almost everything has been saved in large quantities. There isn't anything Modern that 30 years from now you can't find 500 of in new condition. The 60's stuff lots of books are under 50 copies like that, or less. Some books will still explode occasionally based on the issue number or short term popularity.

it seems pretty obvious to me. the 4 books of the future are:

extra 3

prize western 71

cap't marvel jr. 22, and

silver streak 23.

i expect these books to go up @ 30-fold per guide within the next year.

p.s. i have these books in cgc 9.6, 9.6, 9.4 & 9.4, respectively---if any of you want them for 20-fold guide now, before the big run-up, pm me.

it seems pretty obvious to me. the 4 books of the future are:

extra 3

prize western 71

cap't marvel jr. 22, and

silver streak 23.

i expect these books to go up @ 30-fold per guide within the next year.

:P

p.s. i have these books in cgc 9.6, 9.6, 9.4 & 9.4, respectively---if any of you want them for 20-fold guide now, before the big run-up, pm me.