• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RECORD PRICE JIM 89 CGC 9.2...SOLD!

20 posts in this topic

a 9.4 may bet $8k and a 9.6 $15-18k

i think it was a 9.6 the pac coast jim 89, one of the brits owns it

I did own the Pacific Coast 9.6 #89, but it has since gone to a much better place. angel.gif Snuggling up close to an ASM #1 CGC 9.8, and Hulk #1 CGC 9.4. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The 9.2 was owned by an esteemed forum member who already owns the only 9.4. and this book is about the nicest 9.2 #89 you will ever see. I am proud to say I played a part in helping another forum member who lists a J.I.M. #89 as his holy grail to purchase this book ahead of the competition. acclaim.gif

Here is the Pacific Coast copy again for anyone that's interested.

400879-jim89frontpacificcoast96.jpg

400879-jim89frontpacificcoast96.jpg.9e2b959c02510b7b0d76717d033713ab.jpg

I did own the Pacific Coast 9.6 #89, but it has since gone to a much better place. angel.gif Snuggling up close to an ASM #1 CGC 9.8, and Hulk #1 CGC 9.4. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The 9.2 was owned by an esteemed forum member who already owns the only 9.4. and this book is about the nicest 9.2 #89 you will ever see. I am proud to say I played a part in helping another forum member who lists a J.I.M. #89 as his holy grail to purchase this book ahead of the competition.

So Brulato now has the 9.6 and Schmell has the 9.4. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I guess we can consider both of these JIM 89s to be effectively out of circulation, which means the 9.2 copy is effectively the best copy in existence for us mere mortals. In that context, $3900 doesn't seem like such a bad price.

yep, 89 is a classic cover but $3900!

i wonder what the pac coast 89 9.4 would go for or was it a 9.6??

that's 10x's guide for a comic that looks like they missed the cover deadline and threw up a generic cover!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

let's hope this trickles down a bit so those 8.0's and 9.0's command a handsome ransom as well grin.gif

that's 10x's guide for a comic that looks like they missed the cover deadline and threw up a generic cover!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Generic cover ?! 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif Surely you mean "CLASSIC Kirby" cover ?

Seriously, the cover to #89 has to be one of THE great Marvel S.A. images IMHO. 893naughty-thumb.gif

let's hope this trickles down a bit so those 8.0's and 9.0's command a handsome ransom as well grin.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif the cover is a CLASSIC kriby cover. cloud9.gif hey doc! you should know by now that JIM's are SUPAhot™ thumbsup2.gif

Sure it's classic, but it's also generic. A stand alone image of thor that you could put on the cover of any issue and still have the contents match the cover. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the missed deadline theory was accurate confused-smiley-013.gif

Generic cover ?! 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif Surely you mean "CLASSIC Kirby" cover ?

Seriously, the cover to #89 has to be one of THE great Marvel S.A. images IMHO. 893naughty-thumb.gif

http://images.andale.com/f2/130/119/14270686/1075607324814_JIM__89.jpg

when i bought this copy as a fifteen year old in december of 1962, i was immediately struck by the cover's complete lack of connection to a story

i agree that it demonstrates with a simple beauty the greatness of King Kirby acclaim.gif.

Lovely original owner copy you got there ! thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure this cover was just thrown together, but in some ways it's lack of association to the content of the book is what makes it so timeless. A bit like those classic early Superman covers.

As much as I love 'em in High Grade, there's only so many Cobra/Mr Hyde covers you can take ! makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif

nice copy! cloud9.gif what is your exact list of books bought off the rack? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i've got most marvels from FF#1 (11/61) to FF35 (2/65). have pretty complete runs of everything between those time periods as original purchases. (some more complete than others).

same with DC's but my originals start a couple of years earlier and i didn't keep all the different supe and bats related titles.

a handful of archies and ACG's, etc. all tally to about 1000 originals. (got all the JIM's with about 2/3 looking like this one). grin.gif

i've got most marvels from FF#1 (11/61) to FF35 (2/65). have pretty complete runs of everything between those time periods as original purchases. (some more complete than others).

same with DC's but my originals start a couple of years earlier and i didn't keep all the different supe and bats related titles.

a handful of archies and ACG's, etc. all tally to about 1000 originals. (got all the JIM's with about 2/3 looking like this one). grin.gif

Your collecting time-frames are just too suspiciously perfect. gossip.gif Burntboy - be honest. You work in a top secret Govt. lab testing time machines, don't you ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please let me give you my Wants List next time you take a trip ? cloud9.gif

Your collecting time-frames are just too suspiciously perfect. gossip.gif Burntboy - be honest. You work in a top secret Govt. lab testing time machines, don't you ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please let me give you my Wants List next time you take a trip ? cloud9.gif

just very fortunate that things worked out the way that they did. (both collecting timeframe and retaining/protecting). laugh.gif