• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would YOU handle this customer's complaint?

51 posts in this topic

From my inbox this morning:

Dear lighthouse_comics,

Received item today and the packaging is great. No damage to product...BUT...although not your fault, specks and marks within the case does taint it. Sent an e-mail to CGC and perhaps they could resolve the problem ---- unless you want it back (your cost for S&H all around}. PLEASE ADVICE. THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT TO CGC: Recently acquired two CGC items: Punisher #1 3/04 [CGC xxxxxxxxxx] and Wanted #1 12/03 [CGC xxxxxxxxxx]. There are specks and marks on the front and back --- NOT on the case's external surface but within it ... appears to be the result of POOR quality assurance, which distorts the cover's brilliance. Dislike spending for additional shipping cost... Want a quality products... Looking for a resolution. Hoping that the CGC reputation and pride in its crafmanship does really mean something.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Thoughts?

Lighthouse

From my inbox this morning:

Dear lighthouse_comics,

Received item today and the packaging is great. No damage to product...BUT...although not your fault, specks and marks within the case does taint it. Sent an e-mail to CGC and perhaps they could resolve the problem ---- unless you want it back (your cost for S&H all around}. PLEASE ADVICE. THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT TO CGC: Recently acquired two CGC items: Punisher #1 3/04 [CGC xxxxxxxxxx] and Wanted #1 12/03 [CGC xxxxxxxxxx]. There are specks and marks on the front and back --- NOT on the case's external surface but within it ... appears to be the result of POOR quality assurance, which distorts the cover's brilliance. Dislike spending for additional shipping cost... Want a quality products... Looking for a resolution. Hoping that the CGC reputation and pride in its crafmanship does really mean something.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Thoughts?

Lighthouse

confused-smiley-013.gif

He writes like he's sending a telegram.

SPECKS IN CASE STOP NEED SATISFACTION STOP PLEASE ADVISE STOP

Maybe CGC will help him out? I don't know what you're supposed to do. Unless... Lighthouse -- are you a SPECKulator??????

Maybe CGC will help him out? I don't know what you're supposed to do. Unless... Lighthouse -- are you a SPECKulator??????

If you only knew the truth! cool.gif

That's kind of a toughy since (I'm assuming) you don't know how flaky this person is...

I would start out by asking what the "specks and flakes" are from and if he could provide a scan...it may only be residue from the micro-chamber paper....

The way I see it is you have to feel this person out to see if he is just anal retentive, trying to use any excuse to return the books, or actually has a couple of slabs with a production flaw...

In the latter case...maybe CGC will re-encapsulate for free... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought I inSPECKted those books to make sure they were in SPECKtacular condition. I don't know if this buyer has crazy exSPECKtations, or if this is an unfortunate aSPECKt of selling high grade moderns. I try to treat my customers with reSPECKt, but I can't tell what this guy exSPECKts of me... confused-smiley-013.gif

Some thoughts.....

1) Was there a scan available for the buyer to view...and were these "specs" visible at all?

2) His issue might be more with CGC.....and not your problem....he might want to resubmit for just a new holder if it's a big issue with him.

3) Placing a book in a holder protects it (to some degree) from outside damage, but we are talking about newsprint....which will still break up and you could possibly end up with "floaters" in the case. The holder doesn't put the book in suspended animation. There might be loose particles ready to break off at any time, just through normal handling. I don't see that a seller is ultimately responsible for that.

It's like when I bought my $2,000 Apple Cinema screen.......it has one dead pixel. I live with it, because there are going to be x number of dead pixels in every run of screens manufactured. If it was 10 dead pixels then I send it back. Don't know if this is a good analogy.

4) Just how extensive are these specs? Love to see a scan.

So basically what I'm saying is, is that unless the specs are very numerous and really detract from the look of the book, it ain't your problem.

It's hard to read, but you can make out what his problem is.

I just don't know how you would handle it.

Get it reslabbed at CGC?

Would it be possible to fill out the sub forms for him and mail them to him...have it pre-paid through CGC...and pay him $10 to ship them to CGC himself?

That would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Or tell the guy to get an airhose and blow it out. makepoint.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I always pack slabbed books inside of two inverted magazine bags for this exact reason.

But hindsight is 20/20.

foreheadslap.gif

Advise him to call CGC...I don't think they answer that web submission form he probably used very often. If CGC won't stand behind their product by letting him replace the slab, then you've got a tough decision to make as to whether you want to take up their slack.

If I were CGC, I'd just replace his slab...requests like his probably aren't very common and are a side-effect of the mania people have about 10.0 books (I'm assuming that at least the Punisher was the 10.0 you sold recently).

I always pack slabbed books inside of two inverted magazine bags for this exact reason.

But hindsight is 20/20.

foreheadslap.gif

Believe me... if there are specks inside the case they were there when it left Sarasota... I try to pack my slabbed books so that a bag of powdered sugar could explode in the box without injuring the cases. I used to make them virtually waterproof as well and now that I have more Tyvek bags I'll be doing that again... thumbsup2.gif

I just pulled out 50 assorted slabs and flipped through them, and depending on how insane someone was you could find production flaws with half of them...

In general I err on the "customer is always right" side of things, but this guy has me confused...

Can I get a deal on the speckled Wanted #1???.... devil.gif

I didn't sell him that one... so there is another dealer out there who got a similar email... confused-smiley-013.gif

Give me another two weeks and I'll make you a deal on the Death Row Wanted #1 (with or without speckles)... smile.gif

I didn't sell him that one... so there is another dealer out there who got a similar email...

893frustrated.gif..so in that case the speckle phenomina is not your responsibility...have the guy take it up with CGC and be done with him.... makepoint.gif

Believe me... if there are specks inside the case they were there when it left Sarasota... I try to pack my slabbed books so that a bag of powdered sugar could explode in the box without injuring the cases. I used to make them virtually waterproof as well and now that I have more Tyvek bags I'll be doing that again... thumbsup2.gif

Yes. I have books with some specs inside the case that came from CGC this way.

I thought it was from your shipment.

My mistake.

Tell him to use the airhose if it bothers him.

gossip.gif

I viewed all of the buyers that won your Punisher auctions and and all of them seem legit, however this little "problem" is just being overly picky and had nothing to do with anything that you did. Personally I would call CGC to see what could be done and if CGC doesn't feel that they need to re-encapsulate the comic free of charge to "stand behind their product," I would just refund the buyer's money or give him a replacement just to keep him happy. A satisfied customer is a returning customer that usually spends more money if you show them that you care about them. Boy are people insanely picky insane.gif

I agree with Rick...

First, politely point out that many CGC slabs have specs of dust, minor debris from the comic itself and occasionally other unidentifiable foreign matter trapped within. This would seem to be unavoidable unless CGC's offices had some elaborate filtration system. I'd say to the buyer that you understand his disappointment and offer to take back the book and even pay for the return shipping providing he only bid again on your CGC books with full understanding that you have no control over this situation, nor will you honor another refund based on the same complaint. I'd also give the option of splitting the reslabbing/shipping fees explaining you do not feel you can offer more in this case since there really is no damage to the slab and this situation is commonplace and you are simply making the extra effort to make him happy.

Since there is another dealer involved, try to find out what that dealer is going to do and exceed it by 20%.

I'd offer to pay for reslabbbing if the client would pick up the shipping.Or give him credit for his shipping cost to be divided over his next two wins from you,something in that nature.