• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting key books or full run...which do you do?

46 posts in this topic

KEYS- I buy the best book and sometimes 2nd best book in the run in my opinion. ie JIM 83 then I'll look at JIM 85 (not JIM #1,84-although higher in guide). I even buy all the bum issue #1's from silver and bronze age. ie Brother Power the Geek#1, Black Lightning #1, Sarge Steel # 1etc.

KEYS- I buy the best book and sometimes 2nd best book in the run in my opinion. ie JIM 83 then I'll look at JIM 85 (not JIM #1,84-although higher in guide). I even buy all the bum issue #1's from silver and bronze age. ie Brother Power the Geek#1, Black Lightning #1, Sarge Steel # 1etc.

That would majke a great SYFY movie as well as Prez. ;)

I collect both, but the only full runs I concentrated on are Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man. I have already completed UXM from the first issue to current and I am only 10 books away from completing my ASM run which also includes AF #15. On the side, I have also been picking up all the Marvel Silver & Bronze Age keys here and there for the right price.

When I first got back into the hobby, I aimed at full runs. After completing Avengers and Hulk, I started collecting keys instead. While I am still tempted by the occassional run, I now get more satisfaction sinking money into books that appreciate more in value (even if I do not plan on selling anytime soon) and have more personal interest to me as individual books, than those that have little meaning or value other than as part of completing the run.

I am working on a Flash run. When I complete that, I will put my focus on keys and small runs. I like the appeal of both. Runs are challenging and keys give you bragging rights.

At the moment, I'm working on some "mini-runs." Some examples include:

"Circle-12" Strange Tales featuring the Human Torch (101-107)

10-cent Suicide Squad (B&B 25, 26, 27, 37 & 38)

10-cent World's Finest (71-121)

10-cent Flash (105-124)

TTA featuring Ant-Man (27, 35-48)

etc.

My favorite is runs of about 15 issues. Long enough to pose a challenge, short enough not to get bored.

Here are some others I'm considering:

Frontier Fighters and/or Legends of Daniel Boone

10-cent Brave and Bold

1st 10 appearances of the Legion of Super Heroes

Human Torch crossovers

As they say... Collect what you like.