• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

As a card-carrying noob who has hung around very occasionally for a number of years, posted once in a blue moon for the last couple of years, and bought maybe five or six times on the sales forum (but never posted anything for sale), I will give you this outsider's observation: I've noticed on my occasional visits to the sales forum that there are usually a relatively high value (say, >$1,500) book or two posted by high post count sellers. The book will appear to me to be aggressively priced (although I'm admittedly not as knowledgeable as many people here). At least at first, the book won't sell, but it will be bumped a number of times by what I presume are the seller's friends (also with high post counts) with comments like "Sweet book," "I would be all over it if only my budget wasn't spent this month," "I can't believe this book is still here!" etc.

Now perhaps these posters really do believe it is a sweet book, they really would buy it if their budget wasn't spent, they really can't believe it hasn't sold yet, and so on ..... or, maybe they are attempting to help a friend sell an overpriced book to the unwary -- a book which they would never buy themselves at the asking price.

Am I accurately characterizing this behavior? If I am, is it dodgy or no?

Nice!!! I would have loved to have posted this myself if I wasn't busy elsewhere today!!!!!

:baiting:

lol

Posting just to make sure sure Keeneman doesn't kill this thread. :whistle:

Welcome to the clique Keeneman

I will take a bullet for you Jeff. I have a veritable knack for stopping a thread in its tracks.

As for Mr. Keeneman's take on how he views the boards, I feel that he is correct. Too often do I see new members taken to task, made fun of, made to feel ignorant, whenever they post something that is not to the "chosen ones" liking. There is/are a definite clique(s) here, but that does not make it any different from any other aspect of life. Some people are accepted into the clique faster than others, which might result from the new member expressing interests that are shared with an already established clique. There is nothing wrong with that in that is how camaraderie is established. However, it is my assumption that a lot of prospective members are scared away due to how they see newer members treated. They may have something worthwhile to share, but do not for fear of being ridiculed. I felt this way when I first found the boards. I lurked for almost 2 years before I made my first post in 2005. Interactions with a few on here made me regret my decision from time to time, but you deal with it or move along. I chose to deal with it and stick around, if for no other reason that to tee off those who didn't like me. Some of the new folks just might not want the hassle of having to establish their "board cred" in order to be treated with a modicum of respect.

This describes me perfectly...

I have been here for a little while, and I guess I have a fairly normal postcount for someone who has been here as long (or short) as I have. The times I've posted in forums that are meant for fun, or for discussion (started by another member), I've always been made fun of. When I post in the "This Week in Your Collection" forum, my posts are ALWAYS ignored. However, the posts by members before and after me are ALWAYS commented on, and usually praised highly (which is great for them), don't get me wrong). Also (and I guess this is kind of ignorant of me) when someone is asking for a comic in the Want to Buy forum and I post a direct link to, say, MyComicShop (who has the issues in stock), I get ridiculed and my morale has been brought to the point where I don't post there anymore.

In fact, the same is true for the whole forum. The only time I actually feel somewhat safe posting is when I have (what I think to be) a "legit" question I won't get ridiculed for asking. I agree that the forum needs to tone down the meanness towards "noobs" (I prefer "newbies", noob is demeaning...).

I agree with the above post as well. It's the BUYER's responsibility to check out the seller's rep before buying something from them. No need for a system that would stop many legit sellers with great products from selling on a great marketplace.

2c

It's because you're a Canuck.

As a buyer on the boards, I appreciate efforts to insure integrity in the marketplace. I am trying to offer the perspective of a relative noob here, and someone who would not pass the proposed tests to be an approved seller until I post a lot more.

But therein lies a problem. I enjoy this board and look at it almost every day. So why not post more? I have not been the victim of this myself, but I have noticed a tendency toward cliquishness and "bullying" of noobs. Even when there is a mistake that needs to be pointed out, the reaction can be over the top. I also think there is a double standard. A long-time member can do/say things that the boards let slide, while a noob does something similar and gets flamed for it. Even when a noob is not flamed for an ignorant post, there is a tendency of the boards to just ignore him/her -- thread-killer syndrome.

In short, this is a great forum, but it is hard to break into the clique and the motivation to try dies more and more with each thread you kill, and I am sure more so with each over-reaction and insult tossed your way. While some of you want newcomers to contribute more and be active members of the community, the overall tone of the boards is the opposite.

If we are already picking on noobs, is it really a good idea to institutionalize the existing cliquishness by having the "cool kids" decide who is "approved" to sell? And who doesn't already take into account the reputation of the seller, including the lack of one in the forum, when deciding to buy? Do we need a committee to tell us when to be cautious? And doesn't the CBCA already provide another way for a seller to promise ethics and integrity?

Keep up the ideas, FT and others, but from the perspective of someone who has not been invited to sit at the "cool table" at lunch (admittedly, I have not made the effort), this doesn't sound like that great an idea.

I entirely understand this issue. Several comic related boards have this issue at one time or another. Ebay Boards have had it as well as Valiants boards that I am aware of. Boardies do get suspended and in some cases they even get banned entirely from a site. STL and the Coral dont seem to suffer from that problem, but thats another thread on which board is friendlier. hm

What I would suggest is the poster try to spend time in his area of interest in my case its 80s and above so I know alot of the regulars and have both sold and purchased from many of them. Post about stuff you love and what you enjoy. Have some fun and post some threads on artists and how you would rank their work and such. Post some Wants in WTB section or even try a selling thread to meet others. The information here is invaluable even from some of the :censored: they do know their stuff.

The sad thing is there there are a few :censored: on this site and that is putting it nicely. You just do your best to ignore them and move on. It took me years to warm up to this site and I still have days where I think some posters just post to promote there books, but again that another topic. Just explore several areas on this board I am sure you will find one that suits your tastes well.

Why not create a feedback section in the forums and a thread for each person who actively sells or buys that allows people to post feedback on their transactions with them? I know for me, as a new person to the forums, it would be helpful if I could just click on one thread that is feedback for a certain member. This is what's done on some other sites I'm a member of and it works really well.

I don't want to sort through 150 pages of a 'Kudos' thread to find out if is a respectible seller.

I like this idea. The kudos thread is great, but like he stated above very difficult to search thru. I dont sell a whole lot, but it would be a nice start.

All you have to do is a search for the name of the seller (and only do that search in the same forum that the Kudos thread is in). Makes things much easier.

(shrug)

I think a sticky on this would be very helpful. I dont have near the experienceyou do with the search function and I have been here several years.

Why not create a feedback section in the forums and a thread for each person who actively sells or buys that allows people to post feedback on their transactions with them? I know for me, as a new person to the forums, it would be helpful if I could just click on one thread that is feedback for a certain member. This is what's done on some other sites I'm a member of and it works really well.

I don't want to sort through 150 pages of a 'Kudos' thread to find out if is a respectible seller.

I like this idea. The kudos thread is great, but like he stated above very difficult to search thru. I dont sell a whole lot, but it would be a nice start.

All you have to do is a search for the name of the seller (and only do that search in the same forum that the Kudos thread is in). Makes things much easier.

(shrug)

I think a sticky on this would be very helpful. I dont have near the experienceyou do with the search function and I have been here several years.

I agree. An explanation of the search function to all users would be the awesome! Here is a little thread I made about it a while back.

How To Use The Search Function

Great post! I would have said the exact same thing if I weren't posting elsewhere!

:censored:

Don't be mad, you should be proud of yourself, young padawan.

I'm just multitasking. Consider yourself lucky to get under the wire on that one.

Great post! I would have said the exact same thing if I weren't posting elsewhere!

I'm just multitasking. Consider yourself lucky to get under the wire on that one.

Oh, I surely do. To defeat your blazing computer of a mind is so delightful. I may have to update my CV . . .

Oh, I surely do. To defeat your blazing computer of a mind is so delightful. I may have to update my CV . . .

You are the atari of the computer world. I am the Commodore 64.

(shrug)

I agree. An explanation of the search function to all users would be the awesome! Here is a little thread I made about it a while back.

Next, show him how to fold a box

:whistle:

Both way too old, only capable of one player play and both develop faulty joysticks? (shrug)

If I'm the atari, you are a rusted abacus.

Both way too old, only capable of one player play and both develop faulty joysticks? (shrug)

That's pretty funny. Don't break a hip laughing, Father Christmas.

That's pretty funny. Don't break a hip laughing, Father Christmas.

No worries. The plastic is pretty durable. (thumbs u

(shrug)

Next, show him how to fold a box

:whistle:

:roflmao:

I'd get banned for that.

:blush:

So, how much should we charge each seller for a feedback system

Ten bucks.

and who will approve said feedback?

Ian Levine, RedHook, Steve_HOCP, and blackhearteddwarf (use the search function, noobs).

Do sellers get charged?

Yes, ten bucks.

Do we vote on feedback approval?

No. You'll be told if you're approved.

Will feedback be one-sided or dual?

Dual. But you can duel if you don't like it.

Will I get what I want for Christmas?

Quite possibly, if you're on Santa's "Nice" list.

What should I have for dinner?

Something healthy. Maybe a salad with some sliced chicken and a fine glass of white wine. Hell, that sounds good, I'll have that.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Well buttock is a real doctor, I think, and DrWatson comes around.

What will be the next hot modern?

One of those silly Avengers covers.

Is pressing restoration?

No

Do we need to run all this by a committee

Yes.

and who sits on this committee if there is a committee

You'll be informed by the clique.

or is there a committee tasked with assigning committees?

Yes.

Is it "noob" or is it "newb" or am I confusing this with "boob"?

Noob. And it should never be confused with "boob."

What will be the next locked thread?

I'm betting the gun control thread upstairs. RMA is getting giggedy up there.

Who will be next to be banned or suspended?

My bet's on Meade. He's a fiesty one.

Did JC clone the perfect ten, hence his critical opinions of hot women?

It must be a Canadian thing.

Is 2012 the end?

No. 3955 is.

When will the comic market crash?

March 14, 2014 at approximately 4:55 PM.

Can I ask for PayPal help here?

Yes, but you'll get flamed.

Is X-Force heating up?

God I hope so.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Thank you for this clarification. (worship)

So, how much should we charge each seller for a feedback system

Ten bucks.

and who will approve said feedback?

Ian Levine, RedHook, Steve_HOCP, and blackhearteddwarf (use the search function, noobs).

Do sellers get charged?

Yes, ten bucks.

Do we vote on feedback approval?

No. You'll be told if you're approved.

Will feedback be one-sided or dual?

Dual. But you can duel if you don't like it.

Will I get what I want for Christmas?

Quite possibly, if you're on Santa's "Nice" list.

What should I have for dinner?

Something healthy. Maybe a salad with some sliced chicken and a fine glass of white wine. Hell, that sounds good, I'll have that.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Well buttock is a real doctor, I think, and DrWatson comes around.

What will be the next hot modern?

One of those silly Avengers covers.

Is pressing restoration?

No

Do we need to run all this by a committee

Yes.

and who sits on this committee if there is a committee

You'll be informed by the clique.

or is there a committee tasked with assigning committees?

Yes.

Is it "noob" or is it "newb" or am I confusing this with "boob"?

Noob. And it should never be confused with "boob."

What will be the next locked thread?

I'm betting the gun control thread upstairs. RMA is getting giggedy up there.

Who will be next to be banned or suspended?

My bet's on Meade. He's a fiesty one.

Did JC clone the perfect ten, hence his critical opinions of hot women?

It must be a Canadian thing.

Is 2012 the end?

No. 3955 is.

When will the comic market crash?

March 14, 2014 at approximately 4:55 PM.

Can I ask for PayPal help here?

Yes, but you'll get flamed.

Is X-Force heating up?

God I hope so.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Thank you for this clarification. (worship)

No problem, anytime. (thumbs u

Posting just to make sure sure Keeneman doesn't kill this thread. :whistle:

Welcome to the clique Keeneman

I will take a bullet for you Jeff. I have a veritable knack for stopping a thread in its tracks.

As for Mr. Keeneman's take on how he views the boards, I feel that he is correct. Too often do I see new members taken to task, made fun of, made to feel ignorant, whenever they post something that is not to the "chosen ones" liking. There is/are a definite clique(s) here, but that does not make it any different from any other aspect of life. Some people are accepted into the clique faster than others, which might result from the new member expressing interests that are shared with an already established clique. There is nothing wrong with that in that is how camaraderie is established. However, it is my assumption that a lot of prospective members are scared away due to how they see newer members treated. They may have something worthwhile to share, but do not for fear of being ridiculed. I felt this way when I first found the boards. I lurked for almost 2 years before I made my first post in 2005. Interactions with a few on here made me regret my decision from time to time, but you deal with it or move along. I chose to deal with it and stick around, if for no other reason that to tee off those who didn't like me. Some of the new folks just might not want the hassle of having to establish their "board cred" in order to be treated with a modicum of respect.

This describes me perfectly...

I have been here for a little while, and I guess I have a fairly normal postcount for someone who has been here as long (or short) as I have. The times I've posted in forums that are meant for fun, or for discussion (started by another member), I've always been made fun of. When I post in the "This Week in Your Collection" forum, my posts are ALWAYS ignored. However, the posts by members before and after me are ALWAYS commented on, and usually praised highly (which is great for them), don't get me wrong). Also (and I guess this is kind of ignorant of me) when someone is asking for a comic in the Want to Buy forum and I post a direct link to, say, MyComicShop (who has the issues in stock), I get ridiculed and my morale has been brought to the point where I don't post there anymore.

In fact, the same is true for the whole forum. The only time I actually feel somewhat safe posting is when I have (what I think to be) a "legit" question I won't get ridiculed for asking. I agree that the forum needs to tone down the meanness towards "noobs" (I prefer "newbies", noob is demeaning...).

I agree with the above post as well. It's the BUYER's responsibility to check out the seller's rep before buying something from them. No need for a system that would stop many legit sellers with great products from selling on a great marketplace.

2c

It's because you're a Canuck.

lol

They don't make fun of you (shrug)