• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

Posting just to make sure sure Keeneman doesn't kill this thread. :whistle:

Welcome to the clique Keeneman

I will take a bullet for you Jeff. I have a veritable knack for stopping a thread in its tracks.

As for Mr. Keeneman's take on how he views the boards, I feel that he is correct. Too often do I see new members taken to task, made fun of, made to feel ignorant, whenever they post something that is not to the "chosen ones" liking. There is/are a definite clique(s) here, but that does not make it any different from any other aspect of life. Some people are accepted into the clique faster than others, which might result from the new member expressing interests that are shared with an already established clique. There is nothing wrong with that in that is how camaraderie is established. However, it is my assumption that a lot of prospective members are scared away due to how they see newer members treated. They may have something worthwhile to share, but do not for fear of being ridiculed. I felt this way when I first found the boards. I lurked for almost 2 years before I made my first post in 2005. Interactions with a few on here made me regret my decision from time to time, but you deal with it or move along. I chose to deal with it and stick around, if for no other reason that to tee off those who didn't like me. Some of the new folks just might not want the hassle of having to establish their "board cred" in order to be treated with a modicum of respect.

This describes me perfectly...

I have been here for a little while, and I guess I have a fairly normal postcount for someone who has been here as long (or short) as I have. The times I've posted in forums that are meant for fun, or for discussion (started by another member), I've always been made fun of. When I post in the "This Week in Your Collection" forum, my posts are ALWAYS ignored. However, the posts by members before and after me are ALWAYS commented on, and usually praised highly (which is great for them), don't get me wrong). Also (and I guess this is kind of ignorant of me) when someone is asking for a comic in the Want to Buy forum and I post a direct link to, say, MyComicShop (who has the issues in stock), I get ridiculed and my morale has been brought to the point where I don't post there anymore.

In fact, the same is true for the whole forum. The only time I actually feel somewhat safe posting is when I have (what I think to be) a "legit" question I won't get ridiculed for asking. I agree that the forum needs to tone down the meanness towards "noobs" (I prefer "newbies", noob is demeaning...).

I agree with the above post as well. It's the BUYER's responsibility to check out the seller's rep before buying something from them. No need for a system that would stop many legit sellers with great products from selling on a great marketplace.

2c

I can handle it as long as you are not a clique forum member.....but play one on television. :insane:

A clique is a group of people that actively dissuades new members for no good reason. I have seen no cliques around here, only certain people who only respond to posts that are witty or informative. You can't really blame people for this or label them as cliquish...they just have certain standards that not everyone can live up to. A clique is a group of people excluding people for the purpose of raising themselves up...I haven't seen anyone around here like that. (shrug)

Put some effort into some witty, informative, creative, or thoughtful posts, and you get responses. :acclaim:

I can handle it as long as you are not a clique forum member.....but play one on television. :insane:

A clique is a group of people that actively dissuades new members for no good reason. I have seen no cliques around here, only certain people who only respond to posts that are witty or informative. You can't really blame people for this or label them as cliquish...they just have certain standards that not everyone can live up to. A clique is a group of people excluding people for the purpose of raising themselves up...I haven't seen anyone around here like that. (shrug)

That's probably cause you're not a noob and don't notice noob posts and therefore don't notice the accompanying ridiculization :makepoint:

I say this half-jokingly :shy:

I was not the first to use the term clique in this thread. I assume it was used to better describe the feeling that someone might get when they feel ostracised by a group on here. For want of a better term may be why it was originally used?

That's probably cause you're not a noob and don't notice noob posts and therefore don't notice the accompanying ridiculization :makepoint:

I say this half-jokingly, half seriously :shy:

It's true--I respond to what I find interesting. If I've seen "noob" questions here 293874397 times before, I don't respond because they're of no interest. I intentionally ignore them most of the time also as a punitive incentive to get them to use the Search function before posting. I'm here for entertainment and to learn...I educate when I can, but not over and over and over and over and over and over again on the same subject. :makepoint:

I say this half-jokingly, half seriously :shy:

It's true--I respond to what I find interesting. If I've seen "noob" questions here 293874397 times before, I don't respond because they're of no interest. I intentionally ignore them most of the time also as a punitive incentive to get them to use the Search function before posting. I'm here for entertainment...I educate when I can, but not over and over and over and over and over and over again on the same subject. :makepoint:

Fair enough. I agree the search function should be used more as to avoid posting duplicate threads.

I will take a bullet for you Jeff. I have a veritable knack for stopping a thread in its tracks.

As for Mr. Keeneman's take on how he views the boards, I feel that he is correct. Too often do I see new members taken to task, made fun of, made to feel ignorant, whenever they post something that is not to the "chosen ones" liking. There is/are a definite clique(s) here, but that does not make it any different from any other aspect of life. Some people are accepted into the clique faster than others, which might result from the new member expressing interests that are shared with an already established clique. There is nothing wrong with that in that is how camaraderie is established. However, it is my assumption that a lot of prospective members are scared away due to how they see newer members treated. They may have something worthwhile to share, but do not for fear of being ridiculed. I felt this way when I first found the boards. I lurked for almost 2 years before I made my first post in 2005. Interactions with a few on here made me regret my decision from time to time, but you deal with it or move along. I chose to deal with it and stick around, if for no other reason that to tee off those who didn't like me. Some of the new folks just might not want the hassle of having to establish their "board cred" in order to be treated with a modicum of respect.

I can't disagree with this, and will hold my hands up as one of those who occasionally gives a noob a rough ride. :sorry:

However, in defense of 'the clique', there are a few issues with noobs. One, a large proportion of 'new members' are actually shills. Two, another chunk of folk are simply plain ignorant, have no intention of fitting in, and are simply here to promote their own 'thing', whatever that might be. Three, a number of noobs make noob errors, have their mistakes tactfully pointed out...and then promptly go off the deep end.

This does lead the 'old timers' to be very suspicious of noobs, especially those who spend their first week posting inane thread after inane thread, even though they've been told they are in the wrong forum, or that we have a search function which, in some case, they've been told precisely how to use. doh!

Yeah, folk can get a tough ride, but unfortunately cynicism is understandably rife around these parts.

I believe that Wrightson_fan's statement, in a less polite manner, and I may

be incorrect, is that an awful lot of individuals on this board are rude. [ I just

edited out the term A-holes]

To blatantly slam on a noob, is just not polite. To with someone that you

may have an established repore is one thing, to drop a hatchet on a noob is

not always cricket.

If it's become a closed society, one only open to old

established veterans, that pay dues, toe the line etc / then, the society is

doomed. Arrogance about what you have, have better than, or have spent

more on acquiring on your quest is rampant. The finest individual I have

ever met thru this forum doesn't have much, but a pile of funny books I

wouldn't pay money for, he doesn't have much of a pot to pisss in, or

at the moment, a window to pour it out of. And he'll only lurk on this forum

because of his current situation. Too bad, you all are missing a mountain

of information.

I can't disagree with this, and will hold my hands up as one of those who occasionally gives a noob a rough ride. :sorry:

However, in defense of 'the clique', there are a few issues with noobs. One, a large proportion of 'new members' are actually shills. Two, another chunk of folk are simply plain ignorant, have no intention of fitting in, and are simply here to promote their own 'thing', whatever that might be. Three, a number of noobs make noob errors, have their mistakes tactfully pointed out...and then promptly go off the deep end.

This does lead the 'old timers' to be very suspicious of noobs, especially those who spend their first week posting inane thread after inane thread, even though they've been told they are in the wrong forum, or that we have a search function which, in some case, they've been told precisely how to use. doh!

Yeah, folk can get a tough ride, but unfortunately cynicism is understandably rife around these parts.

I believe that Wrightson_fan's statement, in a less polite manner, and I may

be incorrect, is that an awful lot of individuals on this board are rude. [ I just

edited out the term A-holes]

To blatantly slam on a noob, is just not polite. To with someone that you

may have an established repore is one thing, to drop a hatchet on a noob is

not always cricket.

If it's become a closed society, one only open to old

established veterans, that pay dues, toe the line etc / then, the society is

doomed. Arrogance about what you have, have better than, or have spent

more on acquiring on your quest is rampant. The finest individual I have

ever met thru this forum doesn't have much, but a pile of funny books I

wouldn't pay money for, he doesn't have much of a pot to pisss in, or

at the moment, a window to pour it out of. And he'll only lurk on this forum

because of his current situation. Too bad, you all are missing a mountain

of information.

:applause:

As a buyer on the boards, I appreciate efforts to insure integrity in the marketplace. I am trying to offer the perspective of a relative noob here, and someone who would not pass the proposed tests to be an approved seller until I post a lot more.

But therein lies a problem. I enjoy this board and look at it almost every day. So why not post more? I have not been the victim of this myself, but I have noticed a tendency toward cliquishness and "bullying" of noobs. Even when there is a mistake that needs to be pointed out, the reaction can be over the top. I also think there is a double standard. A long-time member can do/say things that the boards let slide, while a noob does something similar and gets flamed for it. Even when a noob is not flamed for an ignorant post, there is a tendency of the boards to just ignore him/her -- thread-killer syndrome.

In short, this is a great forum, but it is hard to break into the clique and the motivation to try dies more and more with each thread you kill, and I am sure more so with each over-reaction and insult tossed your way. While some of you want newcomers to contribute more and be active members of the community, the overall tone of the boards is the opposite.

If we are already picking on noobs, is it really a good idea to institutionalize the existing cliquishness by having the "cool kids" decide who is "approved" to sell? And who doesn't already take into account the reputation of the seller, including the lack of one in the forum, when deciding to buy? Do we need a committee to tell us when to be cautious? And doesn't the CBCA already provide another way for a seller to promise ethics and integrity?

Keep up the ideas, FT and others, but from the perspective of someone who has not been invited to sit at the "cool table" at lunch (admittedly, I have not made the effort), this doesn't sound like that great an idea.

Well stated, sir.

I'm fluent in comicalgems.

Davidson is a mysterious character in the serialized comic book, "The Walking Dead" a story of humans journey through a post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world. His origins are shrouded in mystery. Comparing him to Suge Knight, co-founder of Death Row Productions is intended to convey and air of mystery as well as violence, as Suge Knight has been linked to a number of nefarious activities.

Translation provided by seanfingh

So, can you condense what this thread is really about in one paragraph? :sumo:

No, he's fluent in comicalgems, not utter arsee....

As a buyer on the boards, I appreciate efforts to insure integrity in the marketplace. I am trying to offer the perspective of a relative noob here, and someone who would not pass the proposed tests to be an approved seller until I post a lot more.

But therein lies a problem. I enjoy this board and look at it almost every day. So why not post more? I have not been the victim of this myself, but I have noticed a tendency toward cliquishness and "bullying" of noobs. Even when there is a mistake that needs to be pointed out, the reaction can be over the top. I also think there is a double standard. A long-time member can do/say things that the boards let slide, while a noob does something similar and gets flamed for it. Even when a noob is not flamed for an ignorant post, there is a tendency of the boards to just ignore him/her -- thread-killer syndrome.

In short, this is a great forum, but it is hard to break into the clique and the motivation to try dies more and more with each thread you kill, and I am sure more so with each over-reaction and insult tossed your way. While some of you want newcomers to contribute more and be active members of the community, the overall tone of the boards is the opposite.

If we are already picking on noobs, is it really a good idea to institutionalize the existing cliquishness by having the "cool kids" decide who is "approved" to sell? And who doesn't already take into account the reputation of the seller, including the lack of one in the forum, when deciding to buy? Do we need a committee to tell us when to be cautious? And doesn't the CBCA already provide another way for a seller to promise ethics and integrity?

Keep up the ideas, FT and others, but from the perspective of someone who has not been invited to sit at the "cool table" at lunch (admittedly, I have not made the effort), this doesn't sound like that great an idea.

You just need some SOOTHING RELIEF™

(thumbs u

Put some effort into some witty, informative, creative, or thoughtful posts, and you get responses. :acclaim:

I don't mean to engage in a debate about semantics, but a clique is an exclusive group, regardless of the reasons for exclusivity. Those reasons may or may not be "good" -- and that is largely a matter of opinion, isn't it? Is there any clique in existence that thinks its reasons for exclusivity are bad? But, yes, I was using it in a negative fashion based on what I perceive to be a tendency of many here to over-react to seemingly minor "offenses" of some, while laughing, encouraging, or ignoring similar conduct by others.

I agree with prior posters that cliques are a part of every aspect of life -- and an understandable one. People naturally want to deal with, talk to, interact with people they know, whether it is because they post a lot, or attend "Greek Town" dinners together (whatever that is). I am more likely to chat with someone I know over someone I don't, plain and simple. I think the relative anonymity of the internet causes some of our negative traits to be amplified, but I understand that cliques will always exist. However, we are debating the suggested "approved seller" process. As one of the non-insiders, I feel like that is institutionalizing the cliques, which is something more than simply acknowleding that they exist and moving on with our lives.

One thing is for certain. On the internet, you need a thick skin.

Or at least some NEWBIE'S FRIEND™

(is it old yet? Cause I'm still giggling my arse off about it... :grin: )

No. Not at all lol

I don't mean to engage in a debate about semantics, but a clique is an exclusive group, regardless of the reasons for exclusivity.

Then given that humans have limits on the amount of attention they can provide other people and that groups are limited by space and resources meaning that all people and groups are forced to exclude at some point, all groups of humans are inherently cliques, and the term is useless. :insane:

Why not create a feedback section in the forums and a thread for each person who actively sells or buys that allows people to post feedback on their transactions with them? I know for me, as a new person to the forums, it would be helpful if I could just click on one thread that is feedback for a certain member. This is what's done on some other sites I'm a member of and it works really well.

I don't want to sort through 150 pages of a 'Kudos' thread to find out if is a respectible seller.