• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GobbledyGook #1 (Original First Printing) With Certificate - SOLD

44 posts in this topic

Haha, ball = Lexus, but I did some damage to the ball as well. I knew once I hit it I was in trouble. doh! Needless to say, that was an expensive homerun.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I enjoy coming to these boards because people are friendly and the amount of knowledge here is ridiculous.

You might not have to pay for damage to a vehicle parked in an area where it is reasonable to assume a batted ball could hit it. I don't know the law in your jurisdiction, but I'd find out what it says about the "assumption of the risk" doctrine and the concept of "implied waiver." Lots of states say that you assume the risk of batted balls by entering onto the premises of a ball diamond. Don't roll over for the Lexus-owner.

PS: Remember how helpful I was if you ever move that book!

Yeah, unfortunately where I live (DC) has the vaguest law possible regarding assumption of liability. Basically, it could go either way if it went to court. The whole thing has been ridiculously shady, including the guy basically saying he wanted me to write him a blank check for the damages. Unfortunately for him, I work for a Congressional agency that is filled to the brim with lawyers, so I can fight the thing if the guy comes back with a ridiculous estimate. If he comes up with damages more than his insurance deductible, then he will have a fight on his hands.

I don't see this book going anywhere, anytime soon. I feel there are certain books you just can't replace in a collection.

I have played softball in DC for nearly 30 years, and have never heard of this happening before. It is seriously "at risk" for the guy to park there. Contact Zaid. Also, I'm always looking for a guys league to play in - have played Fairfax Division 1, Arlington A, Prince William 1, etc. etc.

Just got done playing a double header last night and lo and behold the best parking spots (you would think) are always just beyond the fence, but no one seems to park there? I wonder why? lol

Haha, ball = Lexus, but I did some damage to the ball as well. I knew once I hit it I was in trouble. doh! Needless to say, that was an expensive homerun.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I enjoy coming to these boards because people are friendly and the amount of knowledge here is ridiculous.

You might not have to pay for damage to a vehicle parked in an area where it is reasonable to assume a batted ball could hit it. I don't know the law in your jurisdiction, but I'd find out what it says about the "assumption of the risk" doctrine and the concept of "implied waiver." Lots of states say that you assume the risk of batted balls by entering onto the premises of a ball diamond. Don't roll over for the Lexus-owner.

Yeah, unfortunately where I live (DC) has the vaguest law possible regarding assumption of liability. Basically, it could go either way if it went to court. The whole thing has been ridiculously shady, including the guy basically saying he wanted me to write him a blank check for the damages. Unfortunately for him, I work for a Congressional agency that is filled to the brim with lawyers, so I can fight the thing if the guy comes back with a ridiculous estimate. If he comes up with damages more than his insurance deductible, then he will have a fight on his hands.

I don't see this book going anywhere, anytime soon. I feel there are certain books you just can't replace in a collection.

I have played softball in DC for nearly 30 years, and have never heard of this happening before. It is seriously "at risk" for the guy to park there. Contact Zaid. Also, I'm always looking for a guys league to play in - have played Fairfax Division 1, Arlington A, Prince William 1, etc. etc.

Hmm, that's what I originally thought and still kind of think. I had one of our lawyers contact DC Parks and Rec, who we rent the field from. Obviously, they said they had no liability and directed us to the DC Code about liability/negligence. I don't know it off the top of my head, but the lawyer who has been helping said it's really vague (I do finance/budgeting work so I know jack about law). What makes it tough is it's not a public parking around the diamond DC built a field right next to a condo building and the parking spots surround the outfield fence, so these people actually own these spots. The guy is claiming he bought the parking spot before DC built the ballpark etc. etc. Honestly, it's been almost two weeks and the guy has yet to provide an estimate or a copy of the police report to us. We think he's uninsured and knows he's screwed.

This is actually my first year playing and I've had a blast. We're in a House league that's coed, so not as intense as some of the other leagues. I think next year I'm going to try and add an additional league during the summer.

Do you live in Virginia? I just moved to DC about two years ago and it's starting to grow on me a bit.

Hmm, that's what I originally thought and still kind of think. I had one of our lawyers contact DC Parks and Rec, who we rent the field from. Obviously, they said they had no liability and directed us to the DC Code about liability/negligence. I don't know it off the top of my head, but the lawyer who has been helping said it's really vague (I do finance/budgeting work so I know jack about law). What makes it tough is it's not a public parking around the diamond DC built a field right next to a condo building and the parking spots surround the outfield fence, so these people actually own these spots. The guy is claiming he bought the parking spot before DC built the ballpark etc. etc. Honestly, it's been almost two weeks and the guy has yet to provide an estimate or a copy of the police report to us. We think he's uninsured and knows he's screwed.

This is actually my first year playing and I've had a blast. We're in a House league that's coed, so not as intense as some of the other leagues. I think next year I'm going to try and add an additional league during the summer.

Do you live in Virginia? I just moved to DC about two years ago and it's starting to grow on me a bit.

I live in Reston, have lived in the DC area since 1982.

The guy is screwed. Tell him, essentially, to *spoon* off and see you in court.