• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did the Bronze Age Jump the Shark?

29 posts in this topic

I think what really killed the last traces of the BA was when Marvel took the "Significant Event" approach.

In the early 80's, I remember receiving my subscription service order forms, and every issue was being promoted as a must-have with some "earth-shattering event". There is a major problem with this approach; when you emphasize everything, you actually emphasize nothing.

It was definitely at different times for DC and Marvel though.

Being able to read in the mid-late 70's I only knew DC for the utter krud. I didn't know until years later that they had actually done some decent books earlier in he decade. (Ok, when Marshals was on Detective I suppose it looked good, but I wasn't paying attention)

I dunno about Marvel...spidey might have sagged (having to pump out three titles a month will do that to you), but the Avengers were good around then Perez and Byrne (though dropped off after that), and Byrne starting his monumental FF run and the X-Men being pretty darn good though Byrne, back to Cockrum and onward for a while (Paul smith)

I think what really killed the last traces of the BA was when Marvel took the "Significant Event" approach.

In the early 80's, I remember receiving my subscription service order forms, and every issue was being promoted as a must-have with some "earth-shattering event". There is a major problem with this approach; when you emphasize everything, you actually emphasize nothing.

syndrome.jpg

syndrome.jpg

You sly dog, you got me monologuing!!

When comics became half story, half ads but artists still couldn't meet their deadlines. The Avengers had four "fill-in" issues from 136 to 150, and still the artists couldn't make the 150th Anniversary issue. It seemed like Marvel was collecting money for twelve issues a year, but delivering ten.

The Editor-in-Chief was a revolving game of musical chairs, each new hire seemingly a step in the wrong direction.

syndrome.jpg

That came very close to being my avatar.