• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Called CGC yesterday and only had one surprise. But my two Stevens books made for happy times.

- Pacific Comics 2: Thought it was 9.6/9.8, 9.8 was the decision.

- Planet Comics 1: Thought it was 9.6/9.8, 9.6 was the decision.

Odd thing was I looked these over closely and saw it going the other way.

(shrug)

Called CGC yesterday and only had one surprise. But my two Stevens books made for happy times.

- Pacific Comics 2: Thought it was 9.6/9.8, 9.8 was the decision.

- Planet Comics 1: Thought it was 9.6/9.8, 9.6 was the decision.

:applause:

Whenever I look at mine I see either 9.0/9.8 not sure could really go either way. I really have NO idea what makes the differnce between a 9.4-9.8.

There is definitely a difference when looking for spine stress lines or corner taps. It just takes some experience submitting books.

Though I have a 9.4 coming back that I felt was a 9.6/9.8, so it is going to be interesting what I missed. That was my one surprise.

:frustrated:

I'm going to take a shot and submit my first ever at Heroes. If nothing else, it will be a gret learning experience for future subs.

I remember when I first submitted books to CGC about 4-5 years ago. When I got the books back it was like "WTF? How the hell did that get an 8.5? I thought that book was gorgeous!" After learning a heck of a lot more about grading, especially through these boards, I can now go back and look at those same books and completely understand why they got the grades they did.

I still get a few back now and then that I still say WTF to, but they are much fewer and further between than they were when I first started submitting. I have a clue now (at least I THINK I do). :grin:

I still get a few back now and then that I still say WTF to, but they are much fewer and further between than they were when I first started submitting. I have a clue now (at least I THINK I do). :grin:

Same here. In my last two orders, only one in each came back as 9.4's that I thought were a minimum of a 9.6 and found out otherwise. Can't wait to get this next order back so I can figure out what I missed.

I've only been at this since December of last year so I have little clue when it comes to grading. I basically just look at the book and try to find the ones that have as few as possible things that I would mark off for. That seems to work to some extent but I've had at least one book in every order that I missed totally. And when I say miss I mean by a lot. Everything else comes out within 1 to 2 grades but I seem to always have one book where I must have dozed off or been watching House....

(shrug)

Right now I'm trying my best to weed through what I want to get graded and what should be graded and trying to limit my order at Heroes to less than 20. When I get the ones back I sent in April I will be putting 6 of the 15 up for sale. It wasn't intentionally that way, I just missed the grades by one spot or more and think somebody else might want them cheap. Probably for less than what it cost me to get them graded because a couple of books made up for it with nice grades and as long as that happens I'm fine with getting less back from the others.

As long as I break even and wind up with some nice books how can I be losing?

As long as I break even and wind up with some nice books how can I be losing?

That's normally my goal on most submissions. I try to sell just enough from that group to pay for the overall cost of the submission. Most of the time I can do that, unless I send in a group of high grade Marvels where I plan to keep most of if not all of them. I often send in 2 copies of a book with the intent on keeping one and selling the other (usually the same or lower grade of the 2).

Xenozoic Tales #10 has a Stevens BC. :gossip:

Missed that one.Got a scan???

I believe it is just a photo of a Stevens t-shirt.

And a Stevens Bettie Page sculpture.