• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

So Dave covers are Popular, and we have a Dave Cover Registry Set.

Do you ever think books with his interior art will become sought after and collectible?

Why of course. His artwork is spectacular, and most times easy to distinguish from others because of his colors and shadows. I still love reading through the first chapter of Rocketeer, and taking my time to enjoy the artwork.

(thumbs u

Great 15 page story by Stevens in AW 2, and also a shorter story with very nice Bruce Jones artwork. One of the best Pacific Comics issues.

I thought books with his interior art were sought-after. But I'm glad you asked, because it gave me an excuse to look through my Rocketeer Artist Edition. Stevens was all-time master of the brush and storytelling:

rocketeerpageA_zps8cbdb639.jpg

So as I was looking at this page, I got to wondering if we could identify all the celebrities making an appearance on this page? I see Rita Hayworth, Ernie Kovacs (?), Lon Chaney, just to get started:

RocketeerPageB_zps680a743a.jpg

You know, there are loads of forums that have discussed his true height. I guess it is not really clear how big (or small) he truly was.

But the guy that was used in The Rocketeer is 7' tall.

Okay, I think it's Lon Chaney on the left by Rondo's elbow. Ernie Kovacs is the gent with the cigar and mustache in the upper left, just above and to the right is Rita Hayworth.

Alfalfa is just behind Rondo's shoulder, by his ear. Who's the woman just to the left of Rondo's shoulder? It's driving me crazy. Maybe the guy in the lower left is Jimmy Cagney?

Wow. Impressions really change with the color page. I'm sticking with Lon Chaney, Kovacs, and Alfalfa, but all the others are off. Bosco, I think maybe you're right about Lucy.

211h_zps204fd27e.jpg

Could that be Marilyn Monroe below his left arm?

You mean below his right arm - our left? If so, I don't think so. Dave probably would have made her face really stand out, with her facial mole above the lips and to the left of her face. The woman in the panel with Lothar has a beauty mark below or even with her lips.

crossfire12fff_thumb.jpg

Marilyn-Monroe-9412123-4-402.jpg

You mean below his right arm - our left? If so, I don't think so. Dave probably would have made her face really stand out, with her facial mole above the lips and to the left of her face. The woman in the panel with Lothar has a beauty mark below or even with her lips.

crossfire12fff_thumb.jpg

Marilyn-Monroe-9412123-4-402.jpg

No...his left arm (our right). I'm talking about the girl with her right hand over her right eye peeking out.