• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,953 posts in this topic

This is going to seem off-topic but bear with me.

So I went to my first comic-con ever yesterday. The El Paso Comic-Con. It turned out to be a huge waste of time and money that left me a little disappointed and with a serious need to buy some comics.

(Quick sidebar to demonstrate my disappointment: There were only five booths at this con that were actually selling comics, and that is counting the guy who had 3 short boxes set out. As I'm looking at one vendor's wall, he asks what I'm looking for. I tell him anything Dave Stevens related. He says, "Can you give me some examples, I've never heard of him." doh! I smile and walk away.)

In order to cheer myself up after the con disappointment, I stopped by an LCS. They seldom have anything I'm looking for but are usually good regarding supplies so I figured at the very least I could grab some bags and boards.I'm flipping through the same boxes that have always been there, the usual Marvel and DC stuff. Then I notice that on the floor beneath the Marvel boxes are two rows of long boxes of independent publishers.

What?!?! How could I have missed this all this time.

So after about an hour of digging through dirty boxes filled with books that are mostly unbagged and unboarded, I manage to come out with these.

th_2012-09-16_07-17-10_417.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-17-35_966.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-18-04_613.jpg

th_2012-09-16_07-18-27_99.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-19-09_860.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-20-17_729.jpg

:applause: At least you found something worthwhile before you went home.

Nice results to a day that didn't start out as you planned.

:applause:

I love surprise finds like this!

It was definitely a nice end to an otherwise rather sad day. I had low expectations to begin with since it is El Paso (I can't wait to get out of this place.) But this con managed to still be very underwhelming. My favorite was the guy selling fancy futuristic humidifiers. :roflmao:

I know a LCS that needs one of those....my wife ALWAYS knows when I've been there by the smell on my clothes when I come home!

Can she always tell when you've visited your girlfriend as well? :baiting:

:lol: No, I just wear shirts with lipstick colors already on them and wear perfume when I leave the house.

I know a LCS that needs one of those....my wife ALWAYS knows when I've been there by the smell on my clothes when I come home!

Can she always tell when you've visited your girlfriend as well? :baiting:

:lol: No, I just wear shirts with lipstick colors already on them and wear perfume when I leave the house.

hm I never thought of doing that..... :D

Found a few nice Stevens covers, including a NM/M Crossfire in the .25 boxes at the Baltimore show. I tried not to giggle as I pulled them from the boxes. lol

Was surprised to find out there are no other graded copies of this. I don't guess it's part of the registry set either. (shrug)

ComicoAttractions6.jpg

You can always request that it be added to the registry.

Please do. I have a nice one to submit as well. :)

Was surprised to find out there are no other graded copies of this. I don't guess it's part of the registry set either. (shrug)

ComicoAttractions6.jpg

You can always request that it be added to the registry.

Please do. I have a nice one to submit as well. :)

That should be in the registry set...and there are several that should be removed from the "covers" registry...

I guess I wasn't the only one who wanted an Orbit 1 CGC 9.8 tonight. :grin:

Orbit 1 CGC 9.8

I watched that auction, and was floored at the final results. I was also tracking the Planet Comics 1 CGC 9.8 to see where it would land.

Amazing that the results ended the opposite of what I expected on final prices.

I guess I wasn't the only one who wanted an Orbit 1 CGC 9.8 tonight. :grin:

Orbit 1 CGC 9.8

I watched that auction, and was floored at the final results. I was also tracking the Planet Comics 1 CGC 9.8 to see where it would land.

Amazing that the results ended the opposite of what I expected on final prices.

I was surprised also. I made sure I won it, but the price was rather painful. :cry: