• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venom Lethal Protector Black Error Cover

95 posts in this topic

yes, and VERY cheap right now. 4 hrs to go!

Closed at $510, fairly low. I was actually going to place a $700 bid on it but the fact that there is zero trace of any foil was worrisome for me. All of the other exampels I've seen have some trace of the red foil, and I did a search for anything talking about copies with no foil at all, and I found this...

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948

Venom: Lethal Protector #1 (Marvel: 1993) - black/error/misprint coverCounterfeits have a Marvel logo in upper-left hand corner that is made to appear like a normal unaffected logo. Genuine misprints have a logo that is an obviously errored blue box/squared logo, but you can still make out the "Marvel Comics" impression with some. Genuine copies also have some of the red laserfoil intended to be printed on the cover still there, but it will differ from issue to issue. The "Lethal Protector" text may not be visible on all copies. Counterfeits have an all black background.

Chances are it's real since it is in a CGC slab, but they're not impervious to mistakes. Assuming it's real the lack of any foil at all makes it one of the best copies out there in my opinion. But for your auction it may be the reason it ended with a modest hammer price.

wow that was low. I paid $350 for a 7.5 a few years ago. Mine did not have the foil and was CGC . I noticed that with this it depends on how you hold it and how you take the photo. Someone got a steal. . I wish I had $500 I would have jumped on this. I used to bid on them when I had money and they never went this low in this shape.

I had CGC look at it before I had it slabbed onsite and they were sure it was real, hence the blue label. I was pretty annoyed at the closing price!

Sorry, man. I don't know what the high bidder's max was but I would have definately bumped it up if I was more certain about the authenticity.

Do you have any idea what kind of diagnostics they do if there's no trace of foil left on the paper?

Alot of people must have thought something was fishy but CGC certified it. I would think they know the difference. This book should have gone for a grand or more. Wonder if someone at CGG can explain how they tell a real error copy vs a counterfeit copy.

I'm not a fan of the Venom Black, because the same print run errors happen to lots of books (similar to double cover errors)--it's just this one that got the press (and thus, supposed legitimacy and value).

My buddy in high school bought a foil-less direct sale error version of Iron Man # 300. Basically the same as the Venom Black. Does anyone care? No.

Ditto all the foil-less Deathmate errors; I know of at least 3.

So--despite my naysaying above, I won the book. Saw this thread while browsing earlier today and bought it on impulse. For reference, my high bid was $531.

Not entirely confident I'll be able to get my money out of it 5-10 years hence, but I'll certainly plan to enjoy it in the interim.

Alot of people must have thought something was fishy but CGC certified it. I would think they know the difference. This book should have gone for a grand or more. Wonder if someone at CGG can explain how they tell a real error copy vs a counterfeit copy.

Checking history I would have said in the ballpark of $700. But yeah, I'd like to read CGC's method of authentification.

I think you will have no problem as you could sell this for alot more then you paid right now if people felt comfortable about the CGC certification . Looks legit to me as I owned 2 copies in the past but I get what folks are concerend about. Trust me this book people care about. I looked for it for years. Think of it as the 35 cent star wars 1. book still worth alot of money. Alot of Venom collectors.

I'm not a fan of the Venom Black, because the same print run errors happen to lots of books (similar to double cover errors)--it's just this one that got the press (and thus, supposed legitimacy and value).

My buddy in high school bought a foil-less direct sale error version of Iron Man # 300. Basically the same as the Venom Black. Does anyone care? No.

So--despite my naysaying above, I won the book. Saw this thread while browsing earlier today and bought it on impulse. For reference, my high bid was $531.

Not entirely confident I'll be able to get my money out of it 5-10 years hence, but I'll certainly plan to enjoy it in the interim.

I think you will have no problem as you could sell this for alot more then you paid right now if people felt comfortable about the CGC certification . Looks legit to me as I owned 2 copies in the past but I get what folks are concerend about. Trust me this book people care about. I looked for it for years. Think of it as the 35 cent star wars 1. book still worth alot of money. Alot of Venom collectors.

Anyone know who owns the only White (according to the census) printing error of this book?

yes, and VERY cheap right now. 4 hrs to go!

Closed at $510, fairly low. I was actually going to place a $700 bid on it but the fact that there is zero trace of any foil was worrisome for me. All of the other exampels I've seen have some trace of the red foil, and I did a search for anything talking about copies with no foil at all, and I found this...

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6948

Venom: Lethal Protector #1 (Marvel: 1993) - black/error/misprint coverCounterfeits have a Marvel logo in upper-left hand corner that is made to appear like a normal unaffected logo. Genuine misprints have a logo that is an obviously errored blue box/squared logo, but you can still make out the "Marvel Comics" impression with some. Genuine copies also have some of the red laserfoil intended to be printed on the cover still there, but it will differ from issue to issue. The "Lethal Protector" text may not be visible on all copies. Counterfeits have an all black background.

Chances are it's real since it is in a CGC slab, but they're not impervious to mistakes. Assuming it's real the lack of any foil at all makes it one of the best copies out there in my opinion. But for your auction it may be the reason it ended with a modest hammer price.

Hey, Paratrooper!

I'm actually the one who wrote out that CCL post after LOTS of research.

In the future, the main thing to be concerned about when worring about V:LP#1 counterfeits is the Marvel logo. If the Marvel logo looks 100% normal, but surround by black, then be weary. The amount of laser foil on these issues is going to vary significantly. Some look like there is none, but there are traces of it when you look closely. By "all black background", it really means "printed black". If you have a background that looks printed black, and a Marvel logo that looks normal, stay away.

Hey, Paratrooper!

I'm actually the one who wrote out that CCL post after LOTS of research.

In the future, the main thing to be concerned about when worring about V:LP#1 counterfeits is the Marvel logo. If the Marvel logo looks 100% normal, but surround by black, then be weary. The amount of laser foil on these issues is going to vary significantly. Some look like there is none, but there are traces of it when you look closely. By "all black background", it really means "printed black". If you have a background that looks printed black, and a Marvel logo that looks normal, stay away.

You're the one who wrote that? Very cool! Perhaps I should have bid on it then. I'm pretty new to the hobby so I try to er on the side of caution. How did you come across this old thread?

Yeah, I wrote out that whole thread after LOTS and lots of research. There were supposed to be more photos of counterfeit examples, like TMNT #2 and Eerie #1 and the Venom counterfeit, but my laptop I was using at the time died and I'm not able to re-locate a lot of what I found.

I was checking through old posts of mine and I was just checking to see if anyone had asked for an update about trying to make a #1 counterfeit. I think I can using a lot of stuff at my job, but I just haven't had the free time lately to experiment, and I came across you post!

One of the CGC 10s was posted on eBay. I believe it was a $30K asking price! :o

Which is absurd considering a 10 sold on Heritage for $3500. At the time, it was the only 10.0 copy.

When you look hard enough you can find real auctions on Ebay for the comics you want, and every now and then seller accepts a fair 'make offer.' But boy do you have to sift through page after page of ridiculous BIN prices that almost never sells. They keep resisting them over and over.