• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulletproof Coffin

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone else read this new Image title? It just came out this past week.

I was actually hesitant on ordering it because the cover looked kind of lame in Previews, but the description sounded like something I'd like and I'm really glad I picked it up!

I'm not going to go into the story a bunch, but it's entertaining, noir-ish and is about a fictitious Golden Age comic company and a couple of their mysterious creators. The art is a bit reminiscent of what you would get if your threw Mike Allred and Frank Quitely into a paint can and mixed them up. A bit trippy, but totally works for the story.

If you're into offbeat stuff that is fun and mysterious, you should give it a try. Here's a sample page from one of the fake comics that one of the characters picks up in the story:

99674.jpg.7b72d8d82113ab872db673d369ae745b.jpg

I have a con exclusive Ashcan from a couple of weeks ago but I haven't looked it over yet, maybe I will take a look later and pick a copy of #1 when i'm next at my LCS (thumbs u

The cover image in previews looked way too goofy to even give it a chance.

I know, right? The only reason I even got it was because of the description and I always try to pick out one #1 per month solely on description alone. Sometimes it works (like in this case), most of the time it doesn't.

My most memorable 'it worked' was Bone 1 back in '92. :cloud9:

But you're right, they could have picked an image that fit the story way better than the one they chose (though the one they chose does actually make sense once you've read the story).

This is pretty good book!

I like the story, although I think that the writer is limiting his audience to hard core comics fans. I think all of us can appreciate the lead character's "find" and the historical tidbits about the comics creators in the storyline, but non-fans woud simply shrug.

The art leaves me a little cold. It feels like a hackneyed Geof Darrow. I'm not big on the use of flourescent colors either. On a positive note, the artist does keep the story moving and while I'm confused with the story, it has nothing to do with the art. It was clear what was happening and the things that confused the characters in the story confused me as well, meaning that the artist conveyed what he should and did so very well. The art on "The All Seeing Eye" was much more to my liking, where darker colors abound. So while the artist's style isn't my cup of tea, I really respect his skill.

I'm ready for #2!

This is pretty good book!

I like the story, although I think that the writer is limiting his audience to hard core comics fans. I think all of us can appreciate the lead character's "find" and the historical tidbits about the comics creators in the storyline, but non-fans woud simply shrug.

The art leaves me a little cold. It feels like a hackneyed Geof Darrow. I'm not big on the use of flourescent colors either. On a positive note, the artist does keep the story moving and while I'm confused with the story, it has nothing to do with the art. It was clear what was happening and the things that confused the characters in the story confused me as well, meaning that the artist conveyed what he should and did so very well. The art on "The All Seeing Eye" was much more to my liking, where darker colors abound. So while the artist's style isn't my cup of tea, I really respect his skill.

I'm ready for #2!

You're right about limiting their audience to hard core comics fans, even more so I think to hard core Golden Age (and perhaps SA) comic fans, though maybe to a lesser extent. You are also right about the Geof Darrow comparison, though I still stick by my description (maybe with a bit of Bob Burden thrown in) ;) - I like quirky art though, so I'm not bothered by it.

I still don't know what the hell they were thinking about with that cover though. There were many different images that would have made great covers throughout the book other than the lame one they ended up using. That had to be a sales killer.

I loved when they walked into that guy's sanctuary and you get to see all that freaky stuff that collectors like to grab.

Behold! #2 hath arrive-ed this week!

I'm still digging it! I don't know if I was in a better mood or if the colors were muted slightly, but I can honestly say I liked this issue's art more than I liked the first. The story is still severely jacked up and I'm still diggin' it! I do like that we finally understand what the "Bulletproof Coffin" is, although I'm hoping that what they showed us this time is a red herring.

Read issue 2 today and it continued right where it left off. I love the retro feel that the book has, the art really fits the story very well. The 'comic within the comic' had a great Golden Age feel to it and would have been at home in any number of books from the 40's or 50's. I think The Eye is my favorite so far.