• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time to Stir the pot... Overstreet grading vs CGC grading

86 posts in this topic

I respectfully disagree with this. I think note-taking and giving is an obligation on their part. We pay to have them grade our books, so they should provide their explanations. When you get an inspection on a house, you get a full, detailed report, not just "ceiling in fair shape." All of the books I've sent have gotten notes (and I do wish they'd send them back with the books or post them on-line for members), but most of the time the notes don't say where a chip is or a color touch is. This is especially important when I buy a book that's been cracked out of the case but comes with the supposed CGC label.

Did you call their toll free # 1-877-NMCOMICS to get the notes that aren't on the label?

I've called for notes many times - both on books I sent and got back and on books I bought. In fact, they've always had notes for me, but my beefs are:

1. not in detail (e.g., location of major blemish)

2. not accessible except by phone (I think they should be available on-line to members, with no daily limit)

Their notes are often so generic ("moderate spine stress" "marvel chipping"), that they don't even matter. And in no way do I think the notes should (or could) mention every bend and crease. "Moderate spine stress" is fine with me. But when it comes to major blemishes, and especially blemishes that are unique in any certain way, I think such detractions should be noted with detail. I don't see why that would be so difficult to do. And I don't see why they wouldn't want a database that has (semi-) detailed notes.

Back to my example of, say, a color touch. Not all of us (me) have black lights. I got a slight-A PLOD recently and called for where the color touch was (noted on label). Their notes didn't specify! I cracked the book out - a Showcase 4 BTW (sob!) - and STILL haven't found the touch! I just don't think that's fair!

I've called for notes many times - both on books I sent and got back and on books I bought. In fact, they've always had notes for me, but my beefs are:

2. not accessible except by phone (I think they should be available on-line to members, with no daily limit)

Their notes are often so generic ("moderate spine stress" "marvel chipping"), that they don't even matter. And in no way do I think the notes should (or could) mention every bend and crease. "Moderate spine stress" is fine with me. But when it comes to major blemishes, and especially blemishes that are unique in any certain way, I think such detractions should be noted with detail. I don't see why that would be so difficult to do. And I don't see why they wouldn't want a database that has (semi-) detailed notes.

Back to my example of, say, a color touch. Not all of us (me) have black lights. I got a slight-A PLOD recently and called for where the color touch was (noted on label). Their notes didn't specify! I cracked the book out - a Showcase 4 BTW (sob!) - and STILL haven't found the touch! I just don't think that's fair!

That would have been very disappointing,sorry to hear that, I wonder if the person who put that color touch on Showcase 4 knew how much damage they were causing? hm

Was it slight color touch? maybe you can get a professional to get rid of it. :wishluck:

That would have been very disappointing,sorry to hear that, I wonder if the person who put that color touch on Showcase 4 knew how much damage they were causing? hm

Was it slight color touch? maybe you can get a professional to get rid of it. :wishluck:

It must be slight b/c as I mentioned I can't find it! The ebay seller from whom I bought it advertised "2 experts who examine all heir books" and found no resto. There was apparently a tear seal that I also cannot locate. I'm sure seller knew, but later claimed "we didn't catch that!"