• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did any of you ever try to draw a comic when they were younger?

53 posts in this topic

I was going through my old stuff and ran into old attempts at drawing a comic strip about a stuffed bear called Barry trying to watch Halley's comet. Barry was based on my favorite one-eyed stuffed animal "Booger Bear"(I used him as kleenex a lot growing up :sick: ). My first attempt was in color, where Barry was vaporized (shrug) .

boogerbear1.jpg

For being ten years old, I did a much better job drawing it the second time. :grin:

boogerbear2.jpg

Has any of you, saved any early attempts in illustrating comics when you were growing up, that you might want to show off?

I did. When I was about 11 I sent a Batman story to Jennette Kahn ; she must have had a good laugh over that. It was pretty horrendous.

i don't want to let the cat out of the bag and have the copycats beat me to the punch, so i will not be disclosing any pages from the graphic novel i have been working on since I was 7 (in the late 70's...it started as disco themed, of course)

A friend and I produced several comics when we were kids. Unfortunately, none survive. My comics career went nowhere, however, my friend ended up being a pretty good comic book writer and artist. His name is Dan Clowes :)

So you drew these when you were a kid huh?

What's that in the lower left corner then? :taptaptap:

boogerbear1-1.jpg

And under your signature here? :taptaptap::taptaptap:

boogerbear2.jpg

When I was about 10 or 11 I got several pages in on a 48 Hours type washed up cop breaks the rules style anthropomorphic comic. Wish I still had it.

More recently (about 6 years ago) I had stacks and stacks of concept art and plot outlines for something I wish I could get off the ground, but I put down the pencil many years ago and when I picked it back up I just couldn't do it anymore, and I always had trouble making the story work. I really wish I still had that stuff.

I've got notebooks of stuff I did in grade school. My friend and I had competing comic book 'companies' and we had our own complete universes full of heroes and the like. We occasionally did did intercompany crossovers. I still pull them out and read them once in a while - pretty funny stuff.

The earliest comic I ever did was in the first or second grade called Super Mouse, still have that one around somewhere too.

Yes. Unfortunately I gave them away as quickly as I drew them. I did however hang on to a few sketchbooks. I remember one Christmas I drew (penciled only) three comics using well-know cartoon characters. This was in my teen years, and it's been over 20 years so my memory is a little vague, but I believe I did one of Peanuts too. Three different sets of comic-cards you might call them, for, um, friends... who happened to be girls :blush:

All three were drawn in a sketchbook and I made photocopies to assemble the comic cards which were just a little larger than a greeting card and more like a mini-comic as they contained several pages. Given how cheesy this must all sound, I'm reluctant to share them, but I can say I had a lot of fun doing them.

Did a thread on a comic character I created when I was a kid. Called him RACEWAY. I drew a bunch of issues about him. I still have a few around. One of the board members even had one of the issues graded. Pretty funny story behind that.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2898289&fpart=1

RACEWAY1.jpg

I was going through my old stuff and ran into old attempts at drawing a comic strip about a stuffed bear called Barry trying to watch Halley's comet. Barry was based on my favorite one-eyed stuffed animal "Booger Bear"(I used him as kleenex a lot growing up :sick: ). My first attempt was in color, where Barry was vaporized (shrug) .

boogerbear1.jpg

For being ten years old, I did a much better job drawing it the second time. :grin:

boogerbear2.jpg

Has any of you, saved any early attempts in illustrating comics when you were growing up, that you might want to show off?

Very funny.

Not quite sure I understand the crazy "Rules" sign though.

No Coping. :roflmao:

While in college I wrote a comic called 'Project Tracker' that a friend mine did the art for. We sold ads and published it. In true form for the speculation market at the time we did an issue '0' and then and #1.

We sold it locally in various shops and ending up selling the entire 500 copy print run of each, and even did a signing at one of the comic shops.

Maybe Sunday I'll scan some of it and post it, though at this point it seems kinda lame.

The first on sight grading show I go to, I'm going to get a self SS copy of one of them though (sorry, no 9.8's) :-)

Currently I'm working on a new one that a local artist and myself hope to debut at the St. Louis con in September.

I drew my first comic story when I was 8. I have been published in comic books, magazines and other commercial art.

I currently work as a storyboard artist in movies and television.

Drawing is my life and livelihood.