• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did any of you ever try to draw a comic when they were younger?

53 posts in this topic

When I went to "art school" I had a meltdown and burned all of my old self-created-when -I -was-8 comics. I had whole series of my own characters. I am sure they sucked but just to read those again.

This is the reason I need a time machine. Woah is me!

Did a thread on a comic character I created when I was a kid. Called him RACEWAY. I drew a bunch of issues about him. I still have a few around. One of the board members even had one of the issues graded. Pretty funny story behind that.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2898289&fpart=1

RACEWAY1.jpg

I still get a chuckle when I think of that Ken.

IMG_3548.jpg

Starting in Jr High we had rival "publishing" groups with a variety of titles, ultimately we found it beneficial to work together. The first "published" work was a one page story in the back of a Sports Illustrated knockoff one of the guys was doing, the introduction of the character "The Drill". There were others like “The Captains”- a band of unlikely and unlikable potty mouth hooligans whose issues were lost in a mysterious "warehouse fire" upon being discovered by my buddy’s mother.

The Drill was the longest running series and while most ceased publication by 1982-3 The Drill was up to issue #67 by 2006. Below is the pdf of the issue.

Link

Did a thread on a comic character I created when I was a kid. Called him RACEWAY. I drew a bunch of issues about him. I still have a few around. One of the board members even had one of the issues graded. Pretty funny story behind that.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2898289&fpart=1

RACEWAY1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Is it actually in the slab?

I drew several different titles of books when I was 8-about 15 years old, Neron Man 1-14 and an annual, The Defender #1, Force Five #1 come to mind I am sure there are others. I will try to find them and scan some.

I also did a series of drawings in 100 page scribbler style sketchbooks, it was supposed to be an ongoing battle royal of heroes and villains and mixed Marvel and DC characters. It is hundreds of pages long, makes absolutely no sense at all and is a riot to read. I drew these from age 5-8ish

RACEWAY1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Yup. Its actually in the slab. Ken has possession of it now. The only other known copy is "RAW" (see below) and is believed to be held by Gary (gaz2810i) over in jolly ol England.

IMG_3543.jpg

Ha! Ha! Great stuff. I went to high school with one of the current editors at DC comics. We were both loved comics and used to travel from our hometown on the Greyhound bus up to New York City for the monthly comic shows. This was in '75-'77, they were good times. We also put together a fanzine, his first published work before making the break professionally. It was called FANDOM PLAYHOUSE and was sold through ads in the Buyer's Guide. I think we sold all of fifteen to twenty copies.

With the advent of the Internet I was surprised to find a copy available in the University of Michigan's Library. Of all the places!

I won't post a copy out of respect for my friend as he finds it quite amateurish these days; but hey we all start somewhere.

Yes we do. I think thats a great story. You should buy it ( if its for sale) and give it to him as a Christmas present of some such thing. hm

Ha! Ha! Great stuff. I went to high school with one of the current editors at DC comics. We were both loved comics and used to travel from our hometown on the Greyhound bus up to New York City for the monthly comic shows. This was in '75-'77, they were good times. We also put together a fanzine, his first published work before making the break professionally. It was called FANDOM PLAYHOUSE and was sold through ads in the Buyer's Guide. I think we sold all of fifteen to twenty copies.

With the advent of the Internet I was surprised to find a copy available in the University of Michigan's Library. Of all the places!

I won't post a copy out of respect for my friend as he finds it quite amateurish these days; but hey we all start somewhere.

I had a book published by Pyramid Productions called "Ruck Bud Webster and his Screeching Commandos"....pencils and co-plotting. It had a print run of a couple thousand and is VERY hard to find (thankfully). I wanted a few to give to friends and finally found that Doug Sulipa had it....6 copies. I bought them all, so they won't fall into the wrong hands lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

RACEWAY1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Yup. Its actually in the slab. Ken has possession of it now. The only other known copy is "RAW" (see below) and is believed to be held by Gary (gaz2810i) over in jolly ol England.

IMG_3543.jpg

Yep I have the raw copy and it takes pride of place in my collection :cloud9: I will post a pic or two when I get home from work later (thumbs u

I drew a Spider-Man comic in grade school and proudly showed it to some visiting relatives one weekend. On Peter Parker's bedroom wall I drew some posters with slogans, one of which was 'Sex: I Tried it - I Liked it!' which I had stolen from a T-shirt ad in a comic. (I had no idea what it meant.) The grownups thought that was pretty hilarious.

I also got a big sheet of posterboard and drew out as many Marvel heroes as I knew. I recall Son of Satan was difficult, because I had just discovered him in an issue of Defenders.

Here are the books I managed to find, I am missing several. This will be a long post and I apologise for that.

So I started drawing hen i was 3, but when I was 5 my Dad took me into town with him and bought me some comic books. I was hooked from that point, and began drawing comic book stuff in these big scribblers my Mom had. They were 100 pages in size, and I filled them up with drawings of comic characters.

These first booklets are hilarious to read, they make no sense whatsoever, and as I tried to tell a story i got bored and would immediately change direction . Sometimes the story I was telling would last a few pages, but it just goes on and on in a a mish mash of images. 4 Booklets in length, yes that is 400 pages of this stuff!

Book1.jpg

Book11.jpg

Book12.jpg

Book13.jpg

Book14.jpg

Book2cover.jpg

Book3cover.jpg

Book3page38.jpg

Book3page39.jpg

Book3page40.jpg

Book3page41.jpg

Book3page42.jpg

By the time I was 8, my Dad suggested I try to make my own characters up, so I did. Neron Man was born!

As a side note, he looks alot like Nova, but Neron Man was created when I was 8, in 1973 so he actually was before Nova go figure. I made Neron Man comics from when I was 8 until I was about 15-16 and that is when I stopped as I had other interests.

I started in color, but gave up on that because it just took way to long!

NeronMan1.jpg

NeronMan2.jpg

NeronMan3.jpg

NeronMan4.jpg

NeronMan5.jpg

some interior of Neron Man 5:

NeronMan5page4.jpg

NeronMan5page5.jpg

NeronMan5page6.jpg

NeronMan5page7.jpg

NeronMan5page8.jpg

NeronMan6.jpg

NeronMan7.jpg

NeronMan8.jpg

The villain in Neron Man 8 called The Mercenary is actually based on a Mego Doll I "made", which was the Green Goblin's body with Spiderman's Head ( didn't we all mix and match our Megos? :cloud9: )

NeronMan9.jpg

NeronMan10.jpg

These books were just 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper folded in half so they are smaller, and by issue 7 my Dad got me this cool stapler that was real long and adjustible so I could simply fold the pages and staple them in the center instead of cutting them like I used to. I know I took Neron Man to issue 14, but I can't find 11-14 or the annual I made where he fights 6 of his villains at the same time. Yeah I ripped off Marvel and called them the Sinister Six.