• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Variants...

48 posts in this topic

If memory serves, All Star Batman and Robin #1 variant sketch cover hit close to $500 in CGC 9.8 when it was new. Just cruising eBay now, there was one that went for a Best Offer of $175 and another that received no bids starting at $150. I still love the book, but I really wish I had let it cool awhile.

My latest quest is the new Batman and Robin series #1 sketch cover. It spiked at close to $300 and can how be had for $125 give or take.

Over the long haul, I think most of the DC variants will hold their value better than the Marvels. I would stick to ongoing series though. Everybody was nuts for House of M when it was new. Then it was Secret Invasion. Then some other giant crossover event, and so on and so on. At this point all of those are pretty cheap books.

Another thought: Only slab 'em if you're confident in getting a 9.8. 9.6's and down don't bring in the cash like a 9.8 will.

Where are you seeing Batman and Robin Sketch Variant for 125.00. Everywhere I look it is still going for close to 200.00

Here's one

If memory serves, All Star Batman and Robin #1 variant sketch cover hit close to $500 in CGC 9.8 when it was new. Just cruising eBay now, there was one that went for a Best Offer of $175 and another that received no bids starting at $150. I still love the book, but I really wish I had let it cool awhile.

My latest quest is the new Batman and Robin series #1 sketch cover. It spiked at close to $300 and can how be had for $125 give or take.

Over the long haul, I think most of the DC variants will hold their value better than the Marvels. I would stick to ongoing series though. Everybody was nuts for House of M when it was new. Then it was Secret Invasion. Then some other giant crossover event, and so on and so on. At this point all of those are pretty cheap books.

Another thought: Only slab 'em if you're confident in getting a 9.8. 9.6's and down don't bring in the cash like a 9.8 will.

Where are you seeing Batman and Robin Sketch Variant for 125.00. Everywhere I look it is still going for close to 200.00

Here's one

Looks like I need to pay more attention to the selling forum..I rarely go there. You have to admit though, 125.00 for a book that is just over a year old id pretty darn good. I usually visit comic link, comic connect or eBay. eBay tends to be the higher priced location...I think some sellers on there just price their stuff waiting for that one sucker to come along.

Personally I buy Variants for just a couple reasons...to have a complete collection of the series that I collect, I like the variety in the covers(some of the variants rock some pretty awesome covers) and the thrill of the hunt. I have no intention on selling them to make a profit...nothing wrong with that if you do...just not my angle is all.

That Batman and Robin sketch variant is the only one I am missing form that run...I waited, hoping the price will come down...other than the link you listed the prices haven't come down that much on that issue.

I still enjoy the variant thing...maybe in a few years I will be tired of it though.

Personally I buy Variants for just a couple reasons...to have a complete collection of the series that I collect, I like the variety in the covers(some of the variants rock some pretty awesome covers) and the thrill of the hunt. I have no intention on selling them to make a profit...nothing wrong with that if you do...just not my angle is all.

Yeah, keep an eye on the sales threads here. I use them as a good guage of where the market/prices are heading. A lot of folks will price stuff better here as a "thanks" to board members, but when I see books spike or drop on here, I take that as a good indicator.

It looks like we collect variants for the same reasons! I've got the OCD (obsessive comics disorder) for titles that I collect and sometimes I just like the artwork. I do wish we could see a reduction in variants, though.

By the same token, I want to see a reduction in mini series with popular and on-going characters. Can't we just line up the mini series, get the writing and art completed and have it be part of the regular series? I know it's less money in the coffers for the publisher, but they could well be losing money anyway because fans have to pick and choose which titles they will be getting. Batman? Detective? Batman and Robin? Batman The Widening Gyre? Don't even get me started on Wolverine....

lol

I'm with you on the mini's.

Daredevil is my main title, so this whole Shadowland thing had me reeling. I had all the titles on my pull list at mail order comics dot com and finally just said forget about it. Now I am just getting the main Shadowland mini and the regular Daredevil issues...and of course I am getting the Shadowland variants...lol.

I think less variants would make them more unique and certainly reduce the amount of backlash.

Obsessive Comics disorder...I like that.

The only variants I'm buying are Starstruck. The 'virgin' covers are a must for maximum Kalutaic goodness. Too bad they didn't do one for #1.

I still want the 'Euro' variant of All-Star Superman #1, though. Such a cool image.

I am impressed by the completists who go after other books, like Marvel Zombies (which I did, briefly), Grimm Fairy Tales and Locke & Key. When you put together a whole gallery of rare images it's pretty cool.

The only variants I'm buying are Starstruck. The 'virgin' covers are a must for maximum Kalutaic goodness. Too bad they didn't do one for #1.

I still want the 'Euro' variant of All-Star Superman #1, though. Such a cool image.

I am impressed by the completists who go after other books, like Marvel Zombies (which I did, briefly), Grimm Fairy Tales and Locke & Key. When you put together a whole gallery of rare images it's pretty cool.

Must resist... Must resist... :ohnoez:

Some of my favorite variants in the run.

DSC094761.jpg

This Head Games #4 variant is actually a variant of a variant. All the SDCC variants had ghosting on the bottom of them.

DSC07302.jpg

Uber rare Ghost Key variant.

specialeditions.jpg

Head Game #1 variants.

DSC076961.jpg

Just awesome key variants.

DSC077131.jpg

...more key variants.

DSC079141.jpg

The most awesome SS book ever!

1lk.jpg

Rare Locke & Key: COS #3 "grey" variant. These books were lost in an accident, not many got out.

COS399.jpg

What the...? Not don-KEY!

DSC02025.jpg

Best cover ever!

abookfr1.jpg

:whistle: