• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Is "Now" For Selling?

42 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, for my collecting, issues have come up that I will likely have to sell many of my books. (mostly high-grade silver-age Marvels - my registry would be a good preview). Anyhow, while not in a big hurry; the sooner the better.

With the summer here and the big conventions going on . . . is this a good time to be selling on-line or are people not looking to buy so much right now, wanting more to save and see what they can get at conventions? Would it make any difference in the number of people scanning auctions/listings, and willing to "pull the trigger" if I were to wait another month or 2, or no?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Price your books and put them up here and see how they do. Seems to be a ton of material selling here right now :shrug:

I think everybody should stay off the internets to sell books because its sooooo bad.

I'll stay out there and just take one for the team, and will let you know when its OK to come back.

doh!

Price your books accordingly and sell things people want and selling is just fine, thank you.

Price your books accordingly and sell things people want and selling is just fine, thank you.

If by "accordingly" you mean at prices people were paying back in 2003-2004, then yea, they'll sell at that level.

If by "accordingly" you mean at prices people were paying back in 2003-2004, then yea, they'll sell at that level.

If you're trying to get your money back out of ASM or FF you overpaid for in the past few years, then I agree, now is not the time...., however, it may be the best time in the foreseeable future.

I just had to explain to someone that the "firm" price on his comic collection is overpriced. Half of the books are within the $2 per book average, but the others are books sitting idle in 25 and 50 cent bins. I normally don't bother to say anything at all, but a response was in order after I received his advisory of not bothering to come out to see them unless I was paying his price. Bottom line, if you want to sell, be prepared to be flexible, or make it clear you're firm and no one walks away with their nose out of joint.

I should also point out that it's absolutely laughable when people start using GPA as a tool to screw over people. Folks, lets face it, as much as GPA is a great tool for buying and selling, the world doesn't revolve around it. Good on those who are being cautious with their buying/collecting pursuits, but don't use it to strongarm or deceive anyone into believing that's its the end all to market pricing. And you're really asking to be told when you start pulling the same GPA stunt with raw books.

Right now tradepaperback,hardcover editions are the way to go for 1980 and up stuff, the floppies from that era are practically given away. use Ebay completed search for modern age to see examples, I think it was the collected edition that killed back issue modern sales,wait till digital comics takes off and things will get even worse sales wise for the modern back issue.

I just had to explain to someone that the "firm" price on his comic collection is overpriced. Half of the books are within the $2 per book average, but the others are books sitting idle in 25 and 50 cent bins. I normally don't bother to say anything at all, but a response was in order after I received his advisory of not bothering to come out to see them unless I was paying his price. Bottom line, if you want to sell, be prepared to be flexible, or make it clear you're firm and no one walks away with their nose out of joint.

I should also point out that it's absolutely laughable when people start using GPA as a tool to screw over people. Folks, lets face it, as much as GPA is a great tool for buying and selling, the world doesn't revolve around it. Good on those who are being cautious with their buying/collecting pursuits, but don't use it strongarm or deceive anyone into believing that's its the end all to market pricing. And you're really asking to be told when you start pulling the same GPA stunt with raw books.

Agreed! (thumbs u

I should also point out that it's absolutely laughable when people start using GPA as a tool to screw over people. Folks, lets face it, as much as GPA is a great tool for buying and selling, the world doesn't revolve around it. Good on those who are being cautious with their buying/collecting pursuits, but don't use it to strongarm or deceive anyone into believing that's its the end all to market pricing. And you're really asking to be told when you start pulling the same GPA stunt with raw books.

At least I know the majority of the comics I have left is . I need to just sell 6 short to the closest LCS for basically the gas money to drive there just to get rid of the stuff. Even that is more of a pain in the then it should be. Hate to just chuck stuff out even if it is 10 cent fodder.

He might mean that. I took it to mean you don't price your CGC books at 2x GPA or HG raw books at GPA prices.

He might mean that. I took it to mean you don't price your CGC books at 2x GPA or HG raw books at GPA prices.

A lot of them aren't going to sell at 1x or even 0.8 GPA right now...I've seen more all-time GPA lows or 5-year GPA lows this year than I have in quite a long time, I'm guessing because all the stock market refugees from the last two years have moved on to different investments now, or the overall economy is so bad that there is just less discretionary spending nowadays. I'm guessing more that Donut was commenting on the market as a whole, not just high grade, and my comment was directed at the original poster's question about selling his high grade Marvel.