• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

According to Russ Cochran's email blog, AL WILLIAMSON R.I.P.

19 posts in this topic

From Russ' email blog:

I have just learned that EC great Al Williamson passed away last night.

Al was 79 years old and had been in poor health for the last few years. Our condolences go out to his wife Cori and his children.

Yes, they are almost all gone now. Al Feldstein, Jack Davis, and Angelo Torres are the only living EC Artists.

Al was a huge admirer of comic artists Alex Raymond (FLASH GORDON) and Hal Foster (TARZAN and PRINCE VALIANT), and a great fine-line artist in his own right. He will be missed.

Russ

Torres had material published in New Trend titles? Which story? The only one he did credited was "An Eye For An Eye" slated for ISF #33...and that remained unpublished for fifteen years. There might have been others that went unpublished in the Picto-Fiction line.

Angelo Torres collaborated with Williamson on:

"A Sound of Thunder" in Weird Science-Fantasy #25 (September 1954)

"Harpooned" in Piracy #1 (November 1954)

"The Shell Game" in Piracy #2 (January 1955)

"The Arena" in Valor #1 (April 1955)

"A Question of Time" in Shock Illustrated #2 (Winter 1955)

OK, thanks. Ah, good memory. I vaguely recall seeing the original art to "The Arena" in Rich's booth a long time ago...which is an example of Torres (assist) artwork in New Trend.

oh.. Valor is a "New Dirction" title. New Trend is the 1950-1954 period

OK, thanks. Ah, good memory. I vaguely recall seeing the original art to "The Arena" in Rich's booth a long time ago...which is an example of Torres (assist) artwork in New Trend.

oh.. Valor is a "New Direction" title. New Trend is the 1950-1954 period

Ah, right you are!

So technically the only "New Trend" books that Torres appeared in were WSF #25 and Piracy #1.

(And maybe Piracy #2. Not sure where the exact line is between New Trend and New Direction.)

Nope

Champion all by Williamson from #2

lol My old memory is gone.

Nope

Champion all by Williamson from #2

lol My old memory is gone.

yes it is (Howard?)

Sad news. Condolences to the family.

Aside from his great work at EC, who can forget when he returned to do pencils and inks on the Blade Runner movie adaptation for Marvel? It's the art that introduced him to the then new generation of comic fans.

R.I.P.

Cheers!

N.