• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay scammer?

28 posts in this topic

Is this your book?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370364997698

Based on your description this sounds like your book.

He is also the only person within the past 6 months to have up both Showcase 4 and Brave and the Bold 28.

You left positive feedback " Bent over backwards to resolve issue; very accommodating"

"And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0"

Where in the auction does he advertise it as a 5.0????????????????????????

Sounds like the guy worked with you and did what a good Ebay seller should do to keep customers happy.

Why would you come to a public forum and even hint at the fact that he is a scammer, sounds to me like he worked with you to fix the problem.

It could very well be that he is not as expert in grading as he thinks, doesnt make him a scammer..................

Please school me: MA? EA? A?

The second letter is the type of restoration, Amateur or Professional. The first letter is how much restoration there is, Slight, Moderate, or Extensive. The amateur type hurts value more, and I gather is rarely removable.

Is this your book?

He is also the only person within the past 6 months to have up both Showcase 4 and Brave and the Bold 28.

You left positive feedback " Bent over backwards to resolve issue; very accommodating"

"And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0"

Sounds like the guy worked with you and did what a good Ebay seller should do to keep customers happy.

Why would you come to a public forum and even hint at the fact that he is a scammer, sounds to me like he worked with you to fix the problem.

It could very well be that he is not as expert in grading as he thinks, doesnt make him a scammer..................

Whoa. Wait a second. I feel attacked. First of all, I purposefully did not disclose who this seller was. You did (in the link above). You could have PM'd me this message. Yes this is my book and yes I got it wrong again - it was advertised at a 4.5, not a 5.0. My bad. But I thought these boards could be used in this way - to warn fellow collectors about issues/people we find suspicious. If you look at my activity recently, you'll see I've bought quite a bit. This is the only person I've even (obliquely) mentioned here (save the few who've already been outed). It was the whole totality of the deal that made me suspicious. And yes, that is indeed my feedback. I have to own it and all the contradictions it brings with it. After I opened a case against him he became very responsive, which was after numerous unreturned e-mails and excuses, before I got my book. By the end of the ordeal, I did get a partial refund and thus left positive feedback. That is perhaps my biggest mistake. But the burn of the PLOD hasn't left me and in hindsight I think things were not on the up-and-up.

Our famous ring of scammers also gives partial and full refunds, but that doesn't make them good ebay sellers, as the boards have noted.

That's why I wrote this post WITHOUT disclosing who it was - I just wanted opinions. I really thought I was playing by the rules and doing a good thing. If not, then I've learned...

Is this your book?

Whoa. Wait a second. I feel attacked. First of all, I purposefully did not disclose who this seller was. You did (in the link above). You could have PM'd me this message. Yes this is my book and yes I got it wrong again - it was advertised at a 4.5, not a 5.0. My bad. But I thought these boards could be used in this way - to warn fellow collectors about issues/people we find suspicious. If you look at my activity recently, you'll see I've bought quite a bit. This is the only person I've even (obliquely) mentioned here (save the few who've already been outed). It was the whole totality of the deal that made me suspicious. And yes, that is indeed my feedback. I have to own it and all the contradictions it brings with it. After I opened a case against him he became very responsive, which was after numerous unreturned e-mails and excuses, before I got my book. By the end of the ordeal, I did get a partial refund and thus left positive feedback. That is perhaps my biggest mistake. But the burn of the PLOD hasn't left me and in hindsight I think things were not on the up-and-up.

Our famous ring of scammers also gives partial and full refunds, but that doesn't make them good ebay sellers, as the boards have noted.

That's why I wrote this post WITHOUT disclosing who it was - I just wanted opinions. I really thought I was playing by the rules and doing a good thing. If not, then I've learned...

The one lesson that could best be learned from this is: If you're not happy with the book, don't settle for anything les than a full refund while you return the book. Don't accept partial refunds, just return it.

Is this your book?

The one lesson that could best be learned from this is: If you're not happy with the book, don't settle for anything les than a full refund while you return the book. Don't accept partial refunds, just return it.

Advice duly noted.

Seriously it's a $1000 to $1500 book according to GPA

Is that for the slight-A 3.0?

And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0

Finally - I'll post a scan later - I'm interested to know of you all recommend getting the resto removed...

Normally, amateur color touch cannot be removed without cutting away the paper that has been colored. With a pro acrylic color touch the paint can be scraped away and it's not as big of a problem.

Since the book was at CGC, call Susan and give her the serial number. She'll call CGC, get the graders notes, and then you'll have a starting point. Before doing the work get her opinion on what the grade will be after the removal and that's where you have a decision to make. The universal grade will almost certainly be lower.

One thing i need to add to this..all "amateur" color touch is not "marker" that bleeds thru.I have had a couple of recent plods with no bleed thru,some sort of paint was used,just not done in a pro manner,or pro matterial,and i actually did crack one out of the plod,scrape off the "amateur" color touch,had the book pressed,and got a .5 higher grade than the book had in its Plod holder...so it is possible,that showcase could keep a 3.5 grade,or maybe only drop to a 3.0 if the resto is removed,then pressed.Which Susan will do,if she removes resto,as where she will not "just press" a book.

I say sent it to her...let her decide..it may fully be worth it.

Seriously it's a $1000 to $1500 book according to GPA

Is that for the slight-A 3.0?

And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0

Finally - I'll post a scan later - I'm interested to know of you all recommend getting the resto removed...

Normally, amateur color touch cannot be removed without cutting away the paper that has been colored. With a pro acrylic color touch the paint can be scraped away and it's not as big of a problem.

Since the book was at CGC, call Susan and give her the serial number. She'll call CGC, get the graders notes, and then you'll have a starting point. Before doing the work get her opinion on what the grade will be after the removal and that's where you have a decision to make. The universal grade will almost certainly be lower.

One thing i need to add to this..all "amateur" color touch is not "marker" that bleeds thru.I have had a couple of recent plods with no bleed thru,some sort of paint was used,just not done in a pro manner,or pro matterial,and i actually did crack one out of the plod,scrape off the "amateur" color touch,had the book pressed,and got a .5 higher grade than the book had in its Plod holder...so it is possible,that showcase could keep a 3.5 grade,or maybe only drop to a 3.0 if the resto is removed,then pressed.Which Susan will do,if she removes resto,as where she will not "just press" a book.

I say sent it to her...let her decide..it may fully be worth it.

thank you very much. i will indeed send it to her and listen to what she says...