• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay scammer?

28 posts in this topic

I'll first tell you the story without mentioning the ebay seller's ID. If you all them deem this seller scam-worthy, I'll do the out. But for now I'm giving him (her??) the benefit of he doubt...

Up for auction: Showcase 4 raw; advertised as a VG+

Scans: lo-res photos of front and back covers

Significant promise: something like: "we are 2 experts who look over and grade each comic..."

Description: NO flaws mentioned

I won the auction. Waited quite a bit for the book to arrive. Numerous unanswered e-mails. Finally got one: The postage meter wasn't working at the post office, didn't have time to wait in line to ship. Promised it would come soon. Then there was another excuse - still no book. I opened a case...aaah, finally some e-mails. Now there was a "serious family issue. Sorry for the delay. It is on the way." So it finally came.

When I got the book I gave it a VG- at best - 2 faint sub bends were glaring flaws that were not mentioned or observable from photos. I wrote numerous e-mails for a full or partial refund but got no responses. Added that info to my case. Then got some $$ back. Seller is now much more communicative and quite pleasant. Now I was worried about resto. I said I was going to CGC it and we'll see what they say.

CGC gave it a slight (A) PLOD 3.0 - color touch, tear seal (tho I've detected neither). I told seller and did get more $$ back. Seller said he "missed" those restos.

Ok, I did get $$ back...but this guy seemed shady all along (communication people!) and I'm sure he knew of the work - maybe did it himself. One possible tip-off was that he wasn't selling any other books near that high value. But I recently saw he was selling a BB 28...raw. Beware... (tho that auction may be over)

What do you all think? Also...what do you think a slight (A) PLOD Showcase 4 is worth? It's slight A!!!

Other than the fact that 2 experts should have caught the restoration, you can chalk a lot of that up to poor customer service and incompetence. But the same stalling tactics are used by scammers to see if they can make it past the ebay deadlines to keep your $. Ebay is littered with both possibilities.

It really takes more than one isolated incident to see a pattern develop, although if you are on the receiving end of that isolated incident, it obviously sucks.

Assuming it is not scamming, it is still not your responsibility to pay for the seller's incompetence, especially if they claimed to be "experts". Did you ask for a full refund plus grading fees and shipping?

This kind of scam is not new on Ebay as there's been several folks known to buy restored slabs, crack them out and sell it as raw unrestored. If they are caught, they will just be polite and give you a partial refund to keep you happy. However, for the unsuspecting buyers, they will be laughing all the way to the bank and that's how they make their money. The rule of thumb when buying expensive major key issues..... make sure they are in a CGC slab! It just doesn't make sense in risking to pay a large sum of money on a raw book that will 99% turn out to be a lemon.

Yes, AFTER i opened a case the seller became communicative and would accept the book back for a full refund. And in the end I did get a hefty partial refund. But of course, cdpaoli, lexerific, etc. offer refunds too. This seller had plenty of excuses too. I feel something was not on the up-and-up. And one strange sign was this was the only high-priced book they were offering. And recently I saw a raw BB28 up for auction. I wouldn't touch that...

But I'd like your opinion...what do you think a slight (A) PLOD 3.0 Showcase 4 would go for? I'm thinking of having the resto (whatever it is) removed. I've been using Susan Cicconi - do you all know her?

This kind of scam is not new on Ebay as there's been several folks known to buy restored slabs, crack them out and sell it as raw unrestored. If they are caught, they will just be polite and give you a partial refund to keep you happy. However, for the unsuspecting buyers, they will be laughing all the way to the bank and that's how they make their money. The rule of thumb when buying expensive major key issues..... make sure they are in a CGC slab! It just doesn't make sense in risking to pay a large sum of money on a raw book that will 99% turn out to be a lemon.

You are so right about this. I'm learning the hard way. But as much as I appreciate and respect CGC...I love raw books! I miss the feel, the smell...plus I like to read them...carefully! But in the end you're right...

sounds like the guy was trying to get over and possibly would have gotten over on someone who wasnt as knowledgeable as you. as grinin said previously could just be dumb luck.

i had a guy who worked for me. the guy had five different people die in his family in one week. if i wasnt friends with the guy away from work i could see where it would have looked like he was not telling the truth. strange things do happen sometimes.

sounds like the guy was trying to get over and possibly would have gotten over on someone who wasnt as knowledgeable as you. as grinin said previously could just be dumb luck.

i had a guy who worked for me. the guy had five different people die in his family in one week. if i wasnt friends with the guy away from work i could see where it would have looked like he was not telling the truth. strange things do happen sometimes.

ok, so benefit of the doubt I guess.

But come on guys...give me a price! I know how much I ended up paying for my first ever Showcase 4, that has a weeeee bit of work done. 3.0 slight (A) How much? How much?? :D

Yes, AFTER i opened a case the seller became communicative and would accept the book back for a full refund. And in the end I did get a hefty partial refund. But of course, cdpaoli, lexerific, etc. offer refunds too. This seller had plenty of excuses too. I feel something was not on the up-and-up. And one strange sign was this was the only high-priced book they were offering. And recently I saw a raw BB28 up for auction. I wouldn't touch that...

But I'd like your opinion...what do you think a slight (A) PLOD 3.0 Showcase 4 would go for? I'm thinking of having the resto (whatever it is) removed. I've been using Susan Cicconi - do you all know her?

Susan Cicconi is used by many here on the boards. I'm sure it will be fine. Post a scan of the book.

But come on guys...give me a price! I know how much I ended up paying for my first ever Showcase 4, that has a weeeee bit of work done. 3.0 slight (A) How much? How much?? :D

I'll give $300 for it :baiting:

I'll give $300 for it :baiting:

well that is a poke in the eye!

First of all, when you come across a key Silver-Age book like this raw you may want to do a little research.

The first thing I would do is ask about this seller right here on the boards. Many of the people here are familiar with who's legit and who to stay away from. Once you commit to buying a raw book from someone you've never dealt with, its a krap-shoot on the resto. Also, I would stay away from any seller that does not accept returns, period. Just my opinion though.

When the seller said " we are two experts", did you ask the names of the experts? Maybe they are, but maybe they arent since they missed the color touch and tear seal.

We have some smart people here. It's always good to run things by here whether in a thread, or through a P.M. Your hard earned money will go alot farther. (thumbs u

DRX

First of all, when you come across a key Silver-Age book like this raw you may want to do a little research.

The first thing I would do is ask about this seller right here on the boards. Many of the people here are familiar with who's legit and who to stay away from. Once you commit to buying a raw book from someone you've never dealt with, its a krap-shoot on the resto. Also, I would stay away from any seller that does not accept returns, period. Just my opinion though.

When the seller said " we are two experts", did you ask the names of the experts? Maybe they are, but maybe they arent since they missed the color touch and tear seal.

We have some smart people here. It's always good to run things by here whether in a thread, or through a P.M. Your hard earned money will go alot farther. (thumbs u

DRX

All good advice DRX. I got to these boards too late, and thus have learned some lessons the hard way. But I'm here now!

Seriously it's a $1000 to $1500 book according to GPA

Is that for the slight-A 3.0?

And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0

Finally - I'll post a scan later - I'm interested to know of you all recommend getting the resto removed...

Seriously it's a $1000 to $1500 book according to GPA

Is that for the slight-A 3.0?

And I got some of my facts wring: seller advertised it as 5.0; CGC gave it slight-A PLOD 3.5, not 3.0

Finally - I'll post a scan later - I'm interested to know of you all recommend getting the resto removed...

Normally, amateur color touch cannot be removed without cutting away the paper that has been colored. With a pro acrylic color touch the paint can be scraped away and it's not as big of a problem.

Since the book was at CGC, call Susan and give her the serial number. She'll call CGC, get the graders notes, and then you'll have a starting point. Before doing the work get her opinion on what the grade will be after the removal and that's where you have a decision to make. The universal grade will almost certainly be lower.

May or may not be worth it to remove the resto. Make your own conclusions from this sales data:

( 4.0 ) (2) $3,023 (1) $4,255 (1) $4,255 - $4,255 Jun-2009

MA ( 4.0 ) Cover Trimmed - - - - $1,136 Oct-2006

( 3.5 ) (3) $2,660 (2) $2,684 - - $2,600 Jan-2009

( 3.0 ) (1) $2,000 (3) $2,267 (4) $2,269 - $2,275 Jan-2010

( 3.0 ) CGC case cracked - - (1) $2,600 - $2,600 Jan-2010

( 2.5 ) (2) $1,850 (2) $1,555 (1) $1,676 - $1,676 Aug-2009

EA ( 2.5 ) - - - - $810 Jul-2003

A ( 2.5 ) Cover Trimmed - - - - $1,010 Mar-2006

( 2.0 ) (2) $1,478 (1) $1,125 (1) $1,125 - $1,125 Jun-2009

Ditto, send scans of the book to Susan C.(restorer), sometimes they can tell by the picture or description. Start with the grader's notes from CGC, that is helpful sometimes.

Unfortunately, I called CGC for notes and they didn't note where the color touch or tear seal were! I posted another entry elsewhere expressing my disappointment with CGC's notes at times. Nonetheless, I'm in touch with Susan on it. And the prices above are extremely helpful... Here's a scan of the f.c. (strangely, the color touch is much more apparent in the scan than when looking at the actual book):

Showcase_4_front.jpg[/img]

May or may not be worth it to remove the resto. Make your own conclusions from this sales data:

( 4.0 ) (2) $3,023 (1) $4,255 (1) $4,255 - $4,255 Jun-2009

MA ( 4.0 ) Cover Trimmed - - - - $1,136 Oct-2006

( 3.5 ) (3) $2,660 (2) $2,684 - - $2,600 Jan-2009

( 3.0 ) (1) $2,000 (3) $2,267 (4) $2,269 - $2,275 Jan-2010

( 3.0 ) CGC case cracked - - (1) $2,600 - $2,600 Jan-2010

( 2.5 ) (2) $1,850 (2) $1,555 (1) $1,676 - $1,676 Aug-2009

EA ( 2.5 ) - - - - $810 Jul-2003

A ( 2.5 ) Cover Trimmed - - - - $1,010 Mar-2006

( 2.0 ) (2) $1,478 (1) $1,125 (1) $1,125 - $1,125 Jun-2009

Please school me: MA? EA? A?