• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File copy stamps

13 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I won this in a Heritage weekly recently. :banana:

Looking at the book, I'm surprised that it grades at 7.5 - it looks much nicer in hand. A few spine ticks and a couple of slightly soft corners, but nothing major, and a walk up 8.5

So I'm wondering if the editorial department stamps on the cover would cause it to get knocked down? For me they are a bonus and give the copy provenence, but your thoughts would be welcome.

pogo5_small.jpg

Definitely not a stain. It's a little darkening, like a short sun shadow just on the front corner - which CGC seem to be lenient on.

As for grader's notes, I'm pretty sure this is a recently slabbed book - I thought they didn't provide them these days? If they do, I'll call when I'm in the states in a few weeks.

So thoughts on the stamps?

The stamps should not affect the grade.

Have you seen the Marvel #1 Pay Copy that sits in a 9.0 slab? It's got writing all over it.

I'll call for the notes this morning and post them up here.

Spoke to Brad (BradleyX2).

He said the only notes were:

"2 large Ink Stamps on FC"

He also said the grades were as follows:

9.2 (9.0?) - pregrader

So, big disparity there. He also noted the finalizer isn't in yet, but he would check with him later today to see if he may recall anything.

So, maybe the stamps did pull it down? Hopefully, we'll find out more.

After talking to the finalizer, the main 2 things that this book was downgraded for were the 2 huge stamps (which the pregrader didn't detract enough for) and tanning on the interior cover edges.

I hope that helps make everything clearer! :grin:

After talking to the finalizer, the main 2 things that this book was downgraded for were the 2 huge stamps (which the pregrader didn't detract enough for) and tanning on the interior cover edges.

:applause: now that's customer service at it's finest! (thumbs u

Why are these publisher file copy stamps considered defects? I don't get it. Seems inconsistent with other books I've seen slabbed.

By the way, AJD.. if this book is anything like the Western Pub file copies I have, it will also have writing on the splash page.. but strangely that's not mentioned in your graders' notes. Many of my file copies also have the interior cover tanning yours does. Examples..

Popeye4FCwriting.jpg

Popeye17FCtanning1.jpg

Handwritten notations on the splash page won't be downgraded for. The tanning to the inside covers generally impacts the grade significantly, as much as 1.5 points in an otherwise HG book. The stamps are large and a bit distracting to the eye and should be deducted accordingly. However, the inside cover tanning is the overriding defect. A very good example of a high-quality book that due to its technical grade can be had at a discount. (thumbs u

btw, cheezy, nice-lookin' Popeye! :applause:

Much obliged guys - very helpful stuff.

I'm not surprised by the pre-screener's grade. Structurally the book is 9.0ish.

Suffice to say I'm very pleased with this one. :banana:

Incidentally,some of my raw Dell file copies also have a stamp on the splash page that reads:

Received:

Publication Date:

Copyright No:

The details are then hand written in. For example, a New Funnies #101 has 1 June 1945 and B687482 written in the last two fields.