• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man 118

13 posts in this topic

I've been reading up on grading lately (I'm a n00b) and find this issue to be confusing to grade. No grade examples in the overstreet grading guide looks quite like this. If you have time and you can give a little explanation for your grade I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you! :)

P.S: Everything looks a shade darker in the photos. The scans look more accurate color-wise.

FC.jpg

BC.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

Yes, 6.0 or close to it. The front cover creases are definitely the biggest factor here. I see a little light staining (foxing?) on the back cover and a couple of soft corners, but on their own, without the cover creases, you might have had a 7.5 or better book.

Hmmm, I had it at 3.0 because in the Overstreet Grading Guide "book-length" or "extreme" creases (2 inches and up) are not allowed above 3.0. And I know the book has the appearance of 7.0/7.5 and the number and type of defects (other than the big creases) fits in the min/max of a 7.0/7.5 book.

So how does that work? You can average it out like you guys did? I thought you were supposed to bring it down to the lowest one.

Thanks a lot for discussing this with me. It really helps me learn! hm

Yeah, there are always going to be some books that fall between the cracks where the OSGG shouldn't be taken too literally...

This book has too many positive qualities (gloss, relative lack of spine problems) to fall into the 3.0 category. Most of the book is consistent with a VF book, in fact.

Yeah, there are always going to be some books that fall between the cracks where the OSGG shouldn't be taken too literally...

This book has too many positive qualities (gloss, relative lack of spine problems) to fall into the 3.0 category. Most of the book is consistent with a VF book, in fact.

That's great info! At least I'm reassured I'm not entirely dumb. This book is kind of hard to grade because of what you said.

So fascinating!

Here's how you list this on ebay: "A solid mid-grade copy with outstanding eye appeal and gloss with the minor defects (spine stresses, light creasing) one would typically associate with this grade."

If those are 3 multi-inch creases on the front there, even if not particularly color-breaking, I guess it's tough to go over a 6.0 (with the spine ticks too). I don't think the rounded corners mean much in this condition. It's a shame in that it is nice and glossy.

Here's how you list this on ebay: "A solid mid-grade copy with outstanding eye appeal and gloss with the minor defects (spine stresses, light creasing) one would typically associate with this grade."

If those are 3 multi-inch creases on the front there, even if not particularly color-breaking, I guess it's tough to go over a 6.0 (with the spine ticks too). I don't think the rounded corners mean much in this condition. It's a shame in that it is nice and glossy.

Good tip! Thanks!

Well said. Don't take the absolutes listed in the grading guide as the gospel and always factor in the positive points of an otherwise higher grade book when considering something like those book length creases. Yes Overstreet says that those should knock the book down to a 3.0 because of them, but as others have mentioned in this thread, your book has great gloss and eye appeal consistent with a VF book if not for the creasing and couple serious spine impressions. The grade should be weighted higher in this case. I'd call it a 4.5 maybe 5.0 in hand.