• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM TMNT #1

50 posts in this topic

If you guys think this book is a 7.0, then all I can say is, "Back up the truck!" lol:insane:

This is IMO a 7.0,could very well get a 6.5 (shrug)

What does back up the truck mean? That you would take all the 7.0s I have that look like this?I know the whole black book syndrome,but defects are defects regardless of the color of the book. 2c

Show us the grade after you have sent the book into CGC.

Care to make a friendly wager? hm:)

Is the OP going to submit the book? How about a gentleman's bet,7.0 seems too harsh a grade in your opinion? If this was a Marvel/DC book would you still say 8.0+ (shrug)

Mac Mans 6.0 example is not far off from this example.

Oak, no way would I call it a 8.0+ I'm hesitant to say 8.0 but did only because I I've heard that CGC is a little soft on TMNT #1s (which I'd agree with--I put mine at a 5.5). I do believe it could garner a respectable VF- but a solid VF while not entirely impossible, would be more optimistic. I do think think it's slightly better than a 7.0 though and wouldn't say 6.5 at all.

For what it's worth though, definitely a good book to slab for the OP. There are 3rd printings out there that are hardly different than the 1st print and give you a great, authentic looking reading copy. :)

Obviously, it's impossible to grade a black covered book by photos.

Based on what I can see:

1. a 1/2" to 3/8" color breaking crease, URFC (obviously, the worst flaw and biggest grade hit.)

2. 1"+ slight blunting along top edge, ULBC

3. 3/8" color breaking spine crease, LBC

4. Small bindery tear bottom of spine, slight impact damage back cover

5. 1/8" to 1/4" color breaking spine crease, LFC

6. slight spine flecks along spine edge

7. couple of 1/8" or less color breaking spine creases, upper spine

8. very, very slight chatter along the top edge

Based solely on what is visible to me, I have no rpoblem with this book being an 8.5 or even a 9.0.

Now...that doesn't mean there's not damage that's hiding. There's a lot that can't be seen in a scan, especially non color breaking dents, bends, etc, and spine stress in the "busy" areas of the spine.

But based solely on what I can see from this scan, 8.5. 9.0 on a good day. 8.0 on a bad day.

And whether or not CGC is "harsh" on Cerebus #1 and TMNT #1 (which I don't agree with), keep in mind that damage on magazine size books has slightly less of an impact on the grade than on regular books, because there's obviously a lot more book to be damaged.

Who knows, maybe I'm smoking crack. But I daresay I have a fair amount of experience grading these kinds of books, so take that for what it's worth.

RMA get the crack pipe ready :roflmao:

meh

And what's YOUR success/failure rate on pre-screens...?

Dork.

(thumbs u

why all the hatin',I can't wait to see this one graded.nothing but love here,but 8.5/9.0 hardly. :baiting:

meh

Dork.

(thumbs u

why all the hatin',I can't wait to see this one graded.nothing but love here,but 8.5/9.0 hardly. :baiting:

Hatin'...?

Why, I just asked a simple question.... ;)

meh

Dork.

(thumbs u

Hatin'...?

Why, I just asked a simple question.... ;)

I think it was the Dork part,but you did do it with flare. :taptaptap:

I certainly hope the OP gets this thing graded,I'm dying to see the grade. ???

Dave's good peeps... (thumbs u

He's just a harsh grader! :o

:gossip: Buy books from him! :headbang:

Oh wait, he doesn't sell any books... :tonofbricks:

:pullhair:

I certainly hope the OP gets this thing graded,I'm dying to see the grade. ???

Dave's good peeps... (thumbs u

He's just a harsh grader! :o

:gossip: Buy books from him! :headbang:

Oh wait, he doesn't sell any books... :tonofbricks:

:pullhair:

:headbang:

If you guys think this book is a 7.0, then all I can say is, "Back up the truck!" lol:insane:

What does back up the truck mean? That you would take all the 7.0s I have that look like this?I know the whole black book syndrome,but defects are defects regardless of the color of the book. 2c

I'm up for a friendly wager. :sumo:

I'm up for a friendly wager. :sumo:

PM sent :grin:

7.5 on a lucky day, 6.5 - 7.0 if the grader didn't like his oat meal that morning.

that corner crease really pops and there's a lot of other stuff going on, magnified by the black cover, true, but they're there.

yes, there are worse 9.0s and 8.5s out there, but don't we usually say "WTF?" when we see them?

i'm curious as to what CGC does with it too. maybe i'm wrong.