• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on taking pictures of Comics

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to get some more comics ready for the VCC.

My scanner is not working well and since the books are not high value I wanted to try taking digital pictures.

My daughter was working on this for me and she tells me that no matter how she takes the pic a reflection of either her hand or face shows up.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Jim

Try taking at least two pics of each book (one from each side...meaning left side and right side...or top and bottom) so that you can rake the light and each side can be taken clearly (leaving an unwanted reflection on the weak side). It's a little more time consuming than one scan but it might be the only way to do it well.

Take the shot of the comic on the floor. It elongates the image a little, but it removes all glare. If you can get a part of your foot or leg in there as well, that is a plus. The people around here like that kind of thing.

Take the shot of the comic on the floor. It elongates the image a little, but it removes all glare. If you can get a part of your foot or leg in there as well, that is a plus. The people around here like that kind of thing.

My suggestion was similar (sans la foote) but was trying to say that some books that are worth a little more money might require two pics to better show the book off.

Don't forget that tweed covered furniture in the background and the type of socks you wear is also a big plus when selling a book.

:grin:

My suggestion was similar (sans la foote) but was trying to say that some books that are worth a little more money might require two pics to better show the book off.

Don't forget that tweed covered furniture in the background and the type of socks you wear is also a big plus when selling a book.

:grin:

That is a great point. All I have ever sold with digital pics (except via PM) is slabs. So people kind of know what they are getting without all of the detail. For raw a couple of digital pics would be much better.

Turning the flash off would help just be sure to do it in the day time ... lots of other light ... also you could take it out of the bag but I doubt you want to do the work ... Also when you take a picture don't stand directly over the comic & do it ... Step back & point the camera over it it shouldn't be hard to do ...

Even with slabs this works well... at most you should get just abit of light glare

IMG_4910.jpg

That slab has light reflecting off it! I refuse to buy it!! :sumo:

If the light is good and you have tripod use it and set the camera to a lower (100 or 200) ISO setting.

The above suggests your using a camera that allows you to make these changes and are familiar with the cameras many options.

If just using the automatic setting (or a non-DSLR camera thatr doesnt allow adjustments to these settings) just make sure you have lots of indirect light and turn the flash off.

thanks for the input. I no longer have a regular camera, just the easy point and shoot automatic ones.

I do have a tripod and that may help, but I am not home yet to try it out