• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would this be considered Resto?

6 posts in this topic

First the question:

I have a comic that appears to have been held together with scotch tape. It looks like some of the tape was removed leaving some missing color from the cover. Someone decided to take a black marker and recreate some of the missing text and try to sketch some of the missing art. It is very amateurish. They didn't even match the font. Do you think this would be considered restoration and receive a purple label? If so, what do you think the value difference would be on a $400 book as a 1.5 vs a 1.5 restored?

Second an introduction:

I have been lurking here for a while and decided to create an account. Like many, I collected comics through the 80's and stopped at the end of college, mid 90's. After seeing some of the recent record sales I decided to revisit my collection which has sat in some long boxes for 15 years. It isn't a large collection, perhaps 5 boxes. Anyway, I did manage to start selling some things on e-bay and found myself buying some things as well. I found this board and enjoy seeing the cover scans shared so freely, as well as, the multitudes of comic collecting knowledge.

Welcome to the boards and sadly yes it would be considered restoration. I would guess you would atleast get 50% but beyond that is hard to say.

I respectfully disagree about getting 'at least 50%' on a restored book. On a hot key, with the luck of an uninformed buyer, maybe but normally expect about 25%.

If you think 50% is normal I have some restored books I would love to sell you !

Welcome to the boards and sadly yes it would be considered restoration. I would guess you would atleast get 50% but beyond that is hard to say.

I respectfully disagree about getting 'at least 50%' on a restored book. On a hot key, with the luck of an uninformed buyer, maybe but normally expect about 25%.

If you think 50% is normal I have some restored books I would love to sell you !

Could go either way in this case.

You can get a higher percentage for a restored book in the low grades. This example is a 1.5. In fact here is a recent example that proves this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-1962-1995-15-CGC-2-0-RESTORED-/130400834581?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c7ed415

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-2-0-1st-Spider-Man-ever-/180528076002?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a084fd4e2

Low grade books have flaws. Period. So it's up to the buyer to decide which flaws are more acceptable. In this case those eyes colored in were worse than the resto. ;)

On the other hand, the description about how bad the resto is could hurt the value as well. We aren't talking about a small amount of CT in this example either.