• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to grading, please Help

23 posts in this topic

Man, are we all over the map on this one! The OP must think we're blind, or schizophrenic or both.

I'm confused - the missing chunk is on the FRONT, not the back?

No way this book gets less than a 1.5 if slabbed, and I think it would be more likely to get a 1.8 or even 2.0 .

Just to carry the discussion further on the Action #1 being overgraded, I'm going to post the following from the Overstreet grading standards (copied from Metropolis' website and not checked for accuracy):

GOOD (GD) (ONE 1.8-2.5): A copy in this grade has all pages and covers, although There may be small pieces missing inside; the largest piece allowed from front or back cover is a ½” triangle or square ¼” by ¼”. Books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled and may have as much as a 2” spine split, but are still completely readable. Often, paper quality is low but not brittle. Cover reflectivity is low, and in some cases, completely absent. This grade can have a moderate accumulation of defects, but still maintains its basic structural integrity.

FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD) (ONE 1.5): A comic book that has enough positive qualities to keep it better than a FR+, but has enough detracting qualities to keep if from being a GD-. In most cases the comic book has a better appearance than a FR+.

FAIR (FR) (ONE 1.0): A copy in this grade is usually soiled, ragged, and possibly unattractive. Creases, tears and/or folds are prevalent. Spine may be split up to 2/3rds its entire length. Staples may be gone. Up to 1/10th of the front cover may be missing. These books are readable, although soiling, staining, tears, markings or chunks missing may moderately interfere with reading the complete story. Some collectors consider this the lowest collectible grade because comic books in lesser condition are usually defaced and/or brittle. Very often paper quality is low and may have slight brittleness around the edges, but not in the central portions of the pages. Comic books in this grade may have a clipped coupon, so long as it is noted along side of the nomenclature, i.e.: “Fair (1.0) Coupon Clipped.” Valued at 50-70% of good.

With these being the standards, that Action can't be a real 2.0 because the piece out of the front cover is too big.

Same with the Tales of Suspense that is the subject of this thread. It can't be a 2.0 because the chunk out is too big. On the other hand, it seems to fit neatly into the FR category, which permits up to 10% of the front cover to be missing. And with the relative beauty of the rest of the book relative to most FR copies, I think that this TOS would merit MAYBE a 1.5. If not for the interior chunks out, I'd say certainly a 1.5, but with 'em there, I'll stick with the 1.0 to 1.5.

That Action #1 is widely regarded as having been overgraded by at least a half point.

Bear in mind that an Action 1 with a similar-sized piece missing from the front, and far more overall wear and creasing, garnered a 2.0, as I recall... yes, the piece in that case was only missing from the cover, but I think CGC would give this a 2.0 based on that and other precendents.

Anyone have more specific examples that mirror this book, with cover AND a couple of pages missing a piece of approximately the same size?

Understood, Fantasy...and to a point you made in another post, this strikes me as one of those instances where we could be conjecturing about this book's grade based on CGC or OS... as it seems to be an example of where the two entities grading policies diverge in at least one way.

I think CGC would give this TOS a 2.0, maybe even slightly higher. I agree that per the OS Grading Guide, the book couldn't be higher than 1.5, tops.