• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to grading, please Help

23 posts in this topic

Well I've never read anything about grading or what not, but i have a genreal idea. I just got my first SA book, and was wondering if you guys could give me your opions as to what grade this would recieve if i got it slabbed. Thank you very much, I'd be more than happy to provide an additional scan of the inside pages.

Front Cover

tos84.jpg

Back Cover

tos84b.jpg

Inside

tos84i.jpg

Based on cover only, I'd give it a 4.5 VG+. ***edit: because of the book-length spine roll crease about 1/2 inch in from the cover****

But with the huge chunks out of the interior pages, it's more like a 2.0 or 1.8. Tough to make a judgment call on that kind of interior damage because it doesn't affect the story that much and the rest of the book looks fairly nice. In the end, I'd probably say 1.8 because of the missing chunks. frown.gif

I'm no expert on the Qualified grades CGC doles out, but I'm guessing this would not receive such a 'Q' grade...too much other wear, creasing etc., beyond the missing chunk. I'd say it look like GD 2.0, all things considered.

I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I thought that chunk was only on the interior pages. I totally missed that chunk out of the cover. 1.0 is my guess. Maybe 1.5, but probably not. DUH.... insane.gif

Based on cover only, I'd give it a 4.5 VG+. ***edit: because of the book-length spine roll crease about 1/2 inch in from the cover****

But with the huge chunks out of the interior pages, it's more like a 2.0 or 1.8. Tough to make a judgment call on that kind of interior damage because it doesn't affect the story that much and the rest of the book looks fairly nice. In the end, I'd probably say 1.8 because of the missing chunks. frown.gif

I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I thought that chunk was only on the interior pages. I totally missed that chunk out of the cover. 1.0 is my guess. Maybe 1.5, but probably not. DUH.... insane.gif

I'll play nice, no your not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, the scans threw me off a little because I thought it was only the interior pages as well until a took a second look foreheadslap.gif

i was gonna jump all over you on this one (what with all of your recent successes). grin.gif figured you had to somehow overlook that chunk outta the cover. i'd guess this would go below the 2.0 good grade and all things considered probably a 1.0 :think

:

Bear in mind that an Action 1 with a similar-sized piece missing from the front, and far more overall wear and creasing, garnered a 2.0, as I recall... yes, the piece in that case was only missing from the cover, but I think CGC would give this a 2.0 based on that and other precendents.

Anyone have more specific examples that mirror this book, with cover AND a couple of pages missing a piece of approximately the same size?

That Action #1 is widely regarded as having been overgraded by at least a half point.

Bear in mind that an Action 1 with a similar-sized piece missing from the front, and far more overall wear and creasing, garnered a 2.0, as I recall... yes, the piece in that case was only missing from the cover, but I think CGC would give this a 2.0 based on that and other precendents.

Anyone have more specific examples that mirror this book, with cover AND a couple of pages missing a piece of approximately the same size?

I don't know how I missed that chunk!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

i was gonna jump all over you on this one (what with all of your recent successes). grin.gif figured you had to somehow overlook that chunk outta the cover. i'd guess this would go below the 2.0 good grade and all things considered probably a 1.0 :think

:

Guys...how would a piece out of the back cover that size effect the grade. I've got an otherwise VF copy of Star Trek 2 (Gold Key) and was wondering about the grade on it.....Upper right corner on the back cover is missing a piece that size. grin.gif

Guys...how would a piece out of the back cover that size effect the grade. I've got an otherwise VF copy of Star Trek 2 (Gold Key) and was wondering about the grade on it.....Upper right corner on the back cover is missing a piece that size. grin.gif

Tough to say, but I don't think it could rate any higher than a VG with a chunk out of the back cover, but again I would really have to see a scan to guestimate for sure. If no pages are damaged I say in the 3.0-4.0 range, but I have nev er sent a book off with a chunk out of the cover so maybe others have some books like this???