• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Golden Age of Comic Strip Reprints

131 posts in this topic

I just recently read the first Walt and Skeezix volume (1921-1922).

I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to seeing how everyones lives play out. Interesting little scenes involving getting alcohol during prohibition. A great trip to Yellowstone also.

I also read the first two volumes of Prince Valiant (Fantagraphics).

The great reputation these strips have are well deserved. I love the adventure stories and the artwork is spectacular. Beautiful colors. I wish I didn't have to wait six months for the next volume.

Sorry to stretch your screen but in response to Honky's request elsewhere - I don't what's that's going to achieve but these are the shelves of probably most interest. There is unfortunately not enough light for the shots to come out clean.

StripReprint-Shelf1.jpg

StripReprint-Shelf2.jpg

StripReprint-Shelf3.jpg

Sorry to stretch your screen but in response to Honky's request elsewhere - I don't what's that's going to achieve but these are the shelves of probably most interest. There is unfortunately not enough light for the shots to come out clean.

¡Muchas Gracias, Señor!

Now for 1,000 question:

1- What's the tall book to the right of the Popeyes?

2- Pick one: Jet Scott or Rip Kirby.

3- Is Horn's World Encyclopedia still worth having?

4- Ten Cent Plague - worth reading?

5- Masters of American Comics - is that the 2005 book? and if so, worth reading?

StripReprint-Shelf1.jpg

StripReprint-Shelf2.jpg

StripReprint-Shelf3.jpg

(worship)

Now for 1,000 question:

Q1- What's the tall book to the right of the Popeyes?

A1 - The collected Wednesday Comics from DC. The project came out last summer. I'll try to take some shots later this week. I owe them at the very least to AStrange who inquired about back in the Spring.

Q2- Pick one: Jet Scott or Rip Kirby.

A2 - That's a gimme: Rip Kirby

Q3- Is Horn's World Encyclopedia still worth having?

A3 - IMO, yes. The online companion / competition is the Toonopedia but I still turn to the World Encyclopedia and his 100 Years of Strips here and there. Bonus: you should be able to find a copy cheap.

Q4- Ten Cent Plague - worth reading?

A4 - Haven't read it yet. Was irritated how the book grabbed the attention of the public these last 2 years and obscured other similar and worthwhile projects that came before it. Still picked it up to give it a fair shot but haven't read it yet. It's probably worth it. Found this as a remaindered copy so again cheaply available.

Q5- Masters of American Comics - is that the 2005 book? and if so, worth reading?

A5 - Yes, it's the book accompanying the exhibit. Not worth having in my opinion. Cost me $5 at a Borders.

thanks, that helped narrow it down for me. still have 10x too much in the cart....

That's exactly why I buy them as they come out so I don't have to face that $$$ order every once in a while. Thank goodness, DCBS does run good promotional when they first come out so it also limits the overall cost of accumulating these. I don't buy every new collection either. For example, I passed on King Aroo, Big Ben Bolt, Dondi, Bloom County, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace, Peanuts, Hagaard, Beetle Bailey, the new Prince Valiant, ...

I enjoy reading early newspaper strips that were reprinted in old GA comics like King, Popular, Four Color, Sparkler, Tip Top, and Famous Funnies etc. There's a lot of great stuff in them, like Smilin' Jack by Zack Mosley (who I consider to be one of the original Indiana Jones type of characters).

103912.jpg.e6335de6b354ee22cb7f281c455e6267.jpg

I actually love the early art of Zack Mosley. I can really understand his thinking on those early works from 1938-1940/41. Mosley seemed like a romantic visionary, creating romance and drama within action packed stories. And I could sense the love he had for his characters, almost treating them like real, live people. Smilin' Jack was a man's man, and Mosley's De-Icers were lovely picturesque, head-turners, each with their own vivid personalities.

I felt so motivated, that I actually corresponded with his daughter, and purchased several pieces of early original art from her.

:bump:

Just finished reading Volume 1 of the IDW collection of X-9, Secret Agent Corrigan's Williamson / Goodwin run. Very entertaining but irritating somewhat. First, it takes a little bit of time for Williamson to get into the strip artistically. I don't think he gets his own voice until about the third sequence in the book. Second, I find that the continuities (daily only, no Sundays) are too short and do not allow for the story to develop properly though either Goodwin got better or the sequences lengthen toward the end of the collection but the stories are allowed more "space" to play out. Third, IDW should have found a better way to slice the collection as this volume ends with Stanley Pitt ghosted an entire sequence (June through August 1969) and it ends the volume on a downbeat (even the lettering is different and annoying).

That said, the above are minor hiccups compared to the chance of seeing Williamson work his craft on a concentrated piece of work. The sequence where they riff on The Prisoner of Zenda is splendid and, yes, there is a sword fight :)

X-9December1968.jpg

... and this reminded me also that Williamson is not just the master of luxurious greenery / jungle and even desert but can stand on his own when it comes to female protagonists. Corrigan is no James Bond. He is married and does not fall for the people he protects or fights but I am sure glad to be looking in on all the action (sorry for the screen stretch).

Note: Jim's wife, Wilda, is shown on the leftmost panel on the second tier (with Jim smoking behind her).

X-9ComboShot.jpg

I quite enjoyed the volume though not the best strip material there is.

I enjoy reading early newspaper strips that were reprinted in old GA comics like King, Popular, Four Color, Sparkler, Tip Top, and Famous Funnies etc. There's a lot of great stuff in them, like Smilin' Jack by Zack Mosley (who I consider to be one of the original Indiana Jones type of characters).

I have this Feature Book with some pretty nice stories.

2512588724_8b536fa350_z.jpg

Captain Easy, Soldier of Fortune: The Complete Sunday Newspaper Strips Vol. 1 (1933-1935)

4456547128_f939f22bdf.jpg

I just picked up Roy Cranes "Captain Easy" yesterday at dcbs.com.

Predating the DC line of adventure stories by four years, it is fascinating to see how the genre evolved.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1716&category_id=628&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

5544624143_fe18ff140f_b.jpg

Full size pages are even better.

That's an amazing sequence from Williamson! :o

X-9December1968.jpg