• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Secrets 92 posted by Amazing Saul

9 posts in this topic

Berni Wrightson and the House of Secrets 92, one of the best of the bronze age.

The first time I had a desire to obtain this book was about 6 months ago. I was looking at all the different types of comics in one of the online auctions I use. The first copy I came across was a CGC 8.5. I decided to bid on it because I really loved the art and was surprised I hadn't really known about this book earlier. It comes down to the last few seconds of the auction and I had bid over the overstreet price but had lost to a higher bidder. I was dissapointed but the desire to have the book only became stronger.

The next step was Ebay. As you all know...Ebay is overpriced (usually) unless the comic is up for bids without a reserve. I tried winning a raw copy shown as VF/NM. Lost to a higher bidder again. I dont trust alot of the Ebay listings as I have tried to CGC many of these and they just don't hit the grade posted. So I usually just bid as much as I believe its really worth. I decided to wait. Waiting would save me $500 dollars and a better grade!

Few months went by and finally another online auction had this copy. I decided to go over board and bid higher than whom ever wanted this as well. Sometimes that doesnt go well because some people really want a book and before you know it your bidding 2x the amount of overstreet price...Not in this case. I got it for a fair price.Finally.

I dont know how to explain this...But the cover isnt really scary or creepy to me. Its just very interesting. Its almost like your drawn to it. I know the cover originally was meant to be creepy. I really believe this is Berni Wrightsons best art piece. In my opinion one of the best comic covers in the Bronze age.

7501.jpg

See more journals by Amazing Saul

Enjoyed the post/journal entry. I love this book too. It's the first DC book I ever bought (I think it was 1977 at a convention at the hotel Lemington in Minneapolis).

I was strictly a MARVEL comics reader, but that cover got me. I still have the book which I'm planning on having slabbed, unfortunately it won't be as nice as your 9.4, probably 8.5 - 9.0. While I do think it is one of Wrightson's best covers, I can't agree it's the best. He was a great cover artist, his cover art just makes you want to buy the book. He is in my opinion one of the all-time great artists.