• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK boardies: Questions about making CGC submissions

26 posts in this topic

This month, I intend to make my first ever submission to CGC. I will be using my coupon to cover the costs of submission itself so I need to only pay for shipping to CGC and shipping back to the UK. What mail carrier should I use? Should I use Royal Mail's international services or should I go for someone like FedEx or UPS? I realise the latter method would cost more but considering the value of the books I'm likely to send, I would like to have some extra piece of mind. Plus, as both are US companies as well as international ones, I reckon it would be easier to track the packages while they are in transit. Finally, how should I package them? Boozad posted an excellent tutorial on how to ship books, which I have used ever since. Will this method suffice for CGC submissions?

I'll be grateful for any advice you guys can give me.

Adam, if the value of the books is £500 or under, use International Signed For. Depending on how many books you are sending it should cost you around £25 or thereabouts. If the value is over £500, I'd enquire what extra insurance Royal Mail may be able to offer you, if any at all. Additional insurance on top from RM would still probably work out cheaper than FedEx.

The package will be trackable and the signature on receipt will let you know when the books arrive.

As for packaging, it depends on how many books you're submitting.

I think you have to go with the Airsure service for it to be trackable rather than just international signed for. It doesn't cost much more.

I think you have to go with the Airsure service for it to be trackable rather than just international signed for. It doesn't cost much more.

I've always used IFS Gaz and it's always been trackable (shrug)

Send the package via Royal Mail Airsure, increasing the insurance accordingly as per value of the books. Package the books alla Gav's thread. As long as the box is less than 2kg it shouldn't be more than £25 +added cost of insurance.

The reason I say Airsure as it should be quicker, and gives better tracking. If you want to save some money the go for International Signed for (and we are only talking a view pounds at most) you should get similar levels of insurance but less tracking and I think it is a day slower. The other carrier options are a lot more expensive, and I'm not convinced they are any better.

Really? I've never thought it was trackable. ???

Oh well, if you've tracked it, you've tracked it. (thumbs u

It is trackable but quite basic (thumbs u and you need to use USPS to tack the package once it leaves customs, Airsure tracks to destination via Royal mail.

The only items I've ever 'lost' abroad were sent ISF - and there was no signature at the end. £200 worth of books lost and the money out of my paypal account.

Everything has gone by Airsure ever since.

The only items I've ever 'lost' abroad were sent ISF - and there was no signature at the end. £200 worth of books lost and the money out of my paypal account.

Did you claim?

Adam, if the value of the books is £500 or under, use International Signed For. Depending on how many books you are sending it should cost you around £25 or thereabouts. If the value is over £500, I'd enquire what extra insurance Royal Mail may be able to offer you, if any at all. Additional insurance on top from RM would still probably work out cheaper than FedEx.

The package will be trackable and the signature on receipt will let you know when the books arrive.

The value of the books I will be sending is definitely more than £500. Hence me asking whether using someone like FedEx would be a wiser choice than Royal Mail. I would also be only sending 3 books.

you can go up to 4kg by marking the package as 'printed papers' if necessary (can't do this to Canada though)

Hi John. :hi:

I send them as "printed papers" as it's significantly cheaper. (thumbs u Sent one to the US today and it was about £18.80 for two slabs.

The value of the books I will be sending is definitely more than £500. Hence me asking whether using someone like FedEx would be a wiser choice than Royal Mail. I would also be only sending 3 books.

What are you sending, Adam?

Just out of nosiness.

you can go up to 4kg by marking the package as 'printed papers' if necessary (can't do this to Canada though)

Hi John. :hi:

I send them as "printed papers" as it's significantly cheaper. (thumbs u Sent one to the US today and it was about £18.80 for two slabs.

I've learnt this only recently :applause:

Did you claim?

Yep, and got the money back eventually - minus shipping - but I would never use ISF again unless Airsure isn't available for the intended destination.

This month, I intend to make my first ever submission to CGC. I will be using my coupon to cover the costs of submission itself so I need to only pay for shipping to CGC and shipping back to the UK. What mail carrier should I use? Should I use Royal Mail's international services or should I go for someone like FedEx or UPS? I realise the latter method would cost more but considering the value of the books I'm likely to send, I would like to have some extra piece of mind. Plus, as both are US companies as well as international ones, I reckon it would be easier to track the packages while they are in transit. Finally, how should I package them? Boozad posted an excellent tutorial on how to ship books, which I have used ever since. Will this method suffice for CGC submissions?

Well i for one would use Fed-Ex, its the only carrier that tracks parcels point to point in the shipment and it is a next day service to boot. You can insure for the full amount and most importantly their claims procedure is easy and does not take 6 weeks to go through (should something occur).

Airsure and International Signed for, i would only use for cheaper packages say £500 as the tracking facilities on both of these are really basic, by comparison to Fed-Ex.

Like all things though, you pay for what you get, and as a regular user of Fed-Ex (day job) i have sent in excess of 1,000 packages to the states this year alone and only had 1 item lost from all of those and 0 items damaged.

Well i for one would use Fed-Ex, its the only carrier that tracks parcels point to point in the shipment and it is a next day service to boot. You can insure for the full amount and most importantly their claims procedure is easy and does not take 6 weeks to go through (should something occur).

Airsure and International Signed for, i would only use for cheaper packages say £500 as the tracking facilities on both of these are really basic, by comparison to Fed-Ex.

Like all things though, you pay for what you get, and as a regular user of Fed-Ex (day job) i have sent in excess of 1,000 packages to the states this year alone and only had 1 item lost from all of those and 0 items damaged.

Do you get a better rate because you use them so much?

Do you get a better rate because you use them so much?

Yes i get a flat rate upto a certain weight limit. In terms of comics it would equate to not being beneficial for 1 or 5 comics, a good rate for 6-10 and great rate for 10-15. Above that unfortuantely it drops back to normal.