• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC recognizing the Copper Age

25 posts in this topic

So I never realized this until the CGC Registry Awards, but other than the forum areas created to discuss or sell Copper Age books, it appears CGC does not officially recognize the Copper Age.

Even checking its glossary, there is no official writeup concerning the Copper Age. It lumps all books from the late 70's and beyond into the Modern Age.

Modern Age definition

I think it would be great for CGC to champion defining this period in comic creation, as it would benefit the company in driving more collector interest by helping them understand its impact to later independent comics.

What do others think about the topic? Was the Copper Age so significant, it should be recognized by CGC other than a few forum areas?

The Copper Age may have led to the speculation bust, but it also saved this industry by bringing in many new readers AND bringing back many old readers and collectors.

I had pretty much left comics behind when I just happened into a used record store with comics and picked up the just released Frank Miller Dark Knight #1.

I was back.

I'm with you Nick, the Copper Age (if we can ever get everyone to agree when it begins and ends) deserves it's due.

I think it would be awesome, but if all of us Copper nuts can't agree as to what encompasses Copper books, how can CGC set up an objective category? I kind of think that they have kind of punted and said everything after bronze is all modern. It probably is a little too small and insular to have its own category, realistically.

CGC's definition is about pricing for slabbing... not about "separation of significant shifts in the hobby".

Do we really want to pay more to slab Copper Age books?

If not, then let CGC call them "modern" forever. Modern is still cheapest.

CGC's definition is about pricing for slabbing... not about "separation of significant shifts in the hobby".

Good point. Maybe include Bronze also in pricing. I think when you get into SA and older the integrity of the book should reflect the cost. Bronze books are still pretty intact. (shrug)

Not really, though - CGC does have a tier named "Modern", sure, but it used to include books published 1975 to present (which is a big chunk of the Bronze age), and even today, where it's limited to 1980-present, that tier is still applicable for later BA books.

Not to mention that post-1980 books valued at more than $200 can't be submitted under the Modern tier - even though they're moderns (or coppers, or late bronze).

...and even today, where it's limited to 1980-present, that tier is still applicable for later BA books.

According to CGC, the Bronze Age is 1970-1979. See the same link in the first post.

I think their definition of "Modern" is for their slabbing fees, not a direct comment on the hobby.

It will likely move to 1985-present sometime...

I wonder if they'll make Bronze Age 1970-1984, or if they'll even bother naming 1980-1984.

So should we start a petition or something??? I think it's fairly importnt since most every collector and organization agrees that there is a "copper age". I'm not as crazy as some people about the exact starting and ending dates.

But I do have a questions - lets say you have a comic registry set that goes through 2 or more "ages" where does that get classified? Would it be the start date or the percentage of the run within a certain age?

But I do have a questions - lets say you have a comic registry set that goes through 2 or more "ages" where does that get classified? Would it be the start date or the percentage of the run within a certain age?

That's a good point. I'm not sure how they classify something like the few folks we have on here that are collecting every Detective Comics ever printed. That spans close to every age (except Platinum).

I wonder if they'll make Bronze Age 1970-1984, or if they'll even bother naming 1980-1984.

I still think as one of the recognized and respected organizations in the hobby, CGC should make an effort to establish some standards around the common comic periods.

Even seeing the Registry Awards broken out the way it is now, it comes across like anything after the 70's is grouped into "all other stuff goes here."

The 80's indepedent comic boom and some of the hard-hitting storylines from the big two made a huge change to our hobby, IMHO.

The Copper Age deserves better than to just toss it into the pot and mix it in with everything else.

I'm not sure how they classify something like the few folks we have on here that are collecting every Detective Comics ever printed. That spans close to every age (except Platinum).

You could even argue that Detective #1-#26 are Platinum.

I'm not sure how they classify something like the few folks we have on here that are collecting every Detective Comics ever printed. That spans close to every age (except Platinum).

doh!

You're right!

doh!

You're right!

... or at least #1-#10 since they're 1937.