• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it not worth it to submit to CGC?

38 posts in this topic

but in the OP question, he seems to have low/mid grade silver, so there is virtually no reason to slab, from a value added perspective...that is also why I think my 10% max applies to his collection too (thumbs u

Thanks for the advice. I am only going to slab a few of the books that are in 7.0 or better shape. The others I will either just keep or replace over time with higher graded books already slabbed.

The remaining books I need to get to complete the run will come first before I replace anything and those new books will all be slabbed already.

Thanks again

This is a much better result than the typical story with newbies, who post a question and then proceed to completely disregard all the advice that they received. (Usually because they had already decided what they wanted to do and just wanted confirmation from other collectors, and then proceeded to melt down publicly on the boards when they didn't get such confirmation.)

This is a much better result than the typical story with newbies, who post a question and then proceed to completely disregard all the advice that they received. (Usually because they had already decided what they wanted to do and just wanted confirmation from other collectors, and then proceeded to melt down publicly on the boards when they didn't get such confirmation.)

Thanks. I'll take that compliment :grin:

Having been a collector of plenty of items and a member of several forums (I am an avid musician who loves guitar gear and belong to gear forum and I also enjoy watches and belong to a watch forum). I trust the experts when it comes to these things. I'm not here to be the one who is giving much advice. I want to be here to learn more about the hobby...what to do...what not to do. Since joining my eyes have been opened about plenty of things regarding this hobby that I never dreamed when I was much younger.

I want to be a true collector and enthusiast of this hobby. I value the advice so thanks everyone.

:headbang:

My decision to grade a book will be based on my FMV to cost. For instance, if my cost for a book and grading fee is $25, than it will be fine for me to grade a book with a FMV value of $75.00. My formula is FMV=3x cost. Another example will be a SA book cost/fee for $50.00 with a FMV $150 (3x cost). I normally grade in bulk 30 for SA and Bronze and 50 for modern tiers, so my grading costs is reduced. There is still great opportunities for SA and BA, but less for coppers and moderns. The value of copper and moderns have gone down a lot the last 1-2 years. For instance, Amazing Spiderman 361 in 9.6 or 9.8 were good FMV to cost. A few years ago a 9.6 would sale for $50-70 and a 361 in 9.8 would sale between $100-175, but now prices have dropped to $25-40 and $70-90 respectively, so it's still worth it to get a 361 graded 9.8 if your cost/fee is less than $25.00. If you are a good grader and have a sharp eye, it can be very rewarding. My best recent FMV/cost has been 40 to 1. (thumbs u

How much time do you spend digging in boxes for one 9.8? I think that is why I willing to buy slabbed bronze and copper. I just don't have that type of time available.

It is annoying to me that some of the books I want only have a few CGC copies because of their low value. I know the books exist in plentiful numbers but it just requires someone to dig them out of hiding. Have Cash-Will Pay.

Newbie here with no knowledge of evaluating comic condition / value. I recently acquired over 150 Silver Age books from an Estate Sale. How can I evaluate whether the title and corresponding condition merits CGC grading?

Newbie here with no knowledge of evaluating comic condition / value. I recently acquired over 150 Silver Age books from an Estate Sale. How can I evaluate whether the title and corresponding condition merits CGC grading?

Look in the Overstreet guide and see their possible values and then decide based on the feedback in this thread if it is worth submitting to CGC.

Thanks! My primary difficulty will be evaluating the condition of the book as I imagine it takes years of collecting to develop an accurate eye for appraisal.

Thanks! My primary difficulty will be evaluating the condition of the book as I imagine it takes years of collecting to develop an accurate eye for appraisal.

Yes, and you have a lot of books so suggesting scans of each for help in grading on this site will be difficult.

I'd suggest going to a local dealer to help in grading...but they might want to charge for that...

How much time do you spend digging in boxes for one 9.8? I think that is why I willing to buy slabbed bronze and copper. I just don't have that type of time available.

It is annoying to me that some of the books I want only have a few CGC copies because of their low value. I know the books exist in plentiful numbers but it just requires someone to dig them out of hiding. Have Cash-Will Pay.

Pretty sure beachbum digs out books for people.

Scan a few for the grading forum: low, middle, high -- in your opinion. Post one or two a day. It will be worth the effort and you can learn a lot.

I hunt comics on my leisure time and hunt for books to add for my collection and a few for resale. I normally spend 15-30 minutes and find what I want in LCS or stores I visit when I'm traveling. Last year I went to Europe and found books in Paris and London. Whenever I look at them, it remind me of my time I enjoyed at that store there. To me, reading and looking at comics is the greatest thing to do whenever I have extra time. Nevertheless, it's sentimental and it's my passion to find something to add to my collection, rather than purchasing comics slab by someone else, which I have also bought quite a few.

my philosophy is only slab if the slabbing cost is not more than 10% of the value...

so, if your book is worth $300, then spending $30 to slab is fine..

if your book is worth $100, then I wouldn't put 30% cost ($30) into slabbing

That is great advice (thumbs u and works for all comic ages as well, example getting Walking Dead 1 slabbed is worth it because of the value while getting the latest flavor of the month comic isn`t because of no value slabbed or unslabbed.

I hunt comics on my leisure time and hunt for books to add for my collection and a few for resale. I normally spend 15-30 minutes and find what I want in LCS or stores I visit when I'm traveling. Last year I went to Europe and found books in Paris and London. Whenever I look at them, it remind me of my time I enjoyed at that store there. To me, reading and looking at comics is the greatest thing to do whenever I have extra time. Nevertheless, it's sentimental and it's my passion to find something to add to my collection, rather than purchasing comics slab by someone else, which I have also bought quite a few.

How hard is it for you to find a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a comic book shop. It would seem to me they would all have spline wear.

BTW- What is leisure time. I have 5 kids and poking through boxes at conventions while fun is not possible right now.

Ive yet to find a raw silver book in a comic shop that is in a box that would grade anything above a 9.0

Most of those books are up on the wall and already priced accordingly. I have not found a dealer who just has super high grade silvers laying around in boxes.

If you know of some...please share the wealth! (worship)

How hard is it for you to find a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a comic book shop. It would seem to me they would all have spline wear.

BTW- What is leisure time. I have 5 kids and poking through boxes at conventions while fun is not possible right now.

SA and BA 9.6 and 9.8 are definitely harder to locate in your LCS. I hear yah, leisure time can be hard to delegate and scarce for some. Glad to see you here posting today. :hi:

I had a bunch of people off today and worked phones instead of running the business. I have to admit phone duty is a lot better. I have spare time but not so much you can get anything done. So I kept up with the boards.