• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatizit? Help identify DC poster from 1978

22 posts in this topic

Help me identify this poster of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman from DC in 1978. Looks like a magazine insert, although there are no staple holes. Measures about 16x22 (8x11" when folded). I'd like to know how/where it was distributed. Makes me think of the Dynamite magazine, I think those had poster inserts.

Nothing on the back and the small type at the bottom right just says DC Comics 1978.

100749.jpg.2ce6ff542fcffe96a90e46fcb8d40cea.jpg

Edited by Warlord

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think "cereal". Magazines weren't poly-bagged back then and I didn't see any torn perforations on the poster. It's possible that it was just slid in the mag, but I'm starting to think inserted into cereal boxes is more likely.

Andy 2c

Help me identify this poster of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman from DC in 1978. Looks like a magazine insert, although there are no staple holes. Measures about 16x22 (8x11" when folded). I'd like to know how/where it was distributed. Makes me think of the Dynamite magazine, I think those had poster inserts.

Nothing on the back and the small type at the bottom right just says DC Comics 1978.

wow OMG dude, I used to have this poster when I was a kid and didn't remember having it until you posted it, I'm sorry to say I can't remember where it comes from but knowing me as a kid it was probably inside a box of Captain Crunch :grin:

What does the small print at the top say? Above Supes wrist?

Not much of a clue, it says "cut here before hanging".

The other text that everyone can probably easily read is "This is your bonus poster"

And the full text at the bottom corner says "DC Comics, Inc. 1978". Above that is a sequence of digits "40100".

Those green guys in WW's lasso look a lot like green storm troopers! lol

wow OMG dude, I used to have this poster when I was a kid and didn't remember having it until you posted it, I'm sorry to say I can't remember where it comes from but knowing me as a kid it was probably inside a box of Captain Crunch :grin:

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the memory!

This isn't one of my childhood posters, just something that came with a stack of DC Whitman comics I bought on ebay. Those are mostly 1979/1980 so I'd have guessed around then for the date range even if it didn't have a date on it. I think it's a very cool poster, you were a lucky kid! lol

It appears Post had a series of DC posters and premiums in their boxes in the late 1970s.

Very cool lead, thank you! (worship) Some surfing might find a photo list of something like that. hm

But now of course I have to wonder how I missed such cereal premiums back then, I was all over the toys in the cereal boxes!

Makes me think of the Dynamite magazine, I think those had poster inserts.

I've surfed and found some pics of the Dynamite magazine posters. Those I've seen had the poster as the centerfold, stapled into the mag. So that seems much more unlikely to be the source of the poster.

This isn't one of my childhood posters, just something that came with a stack of DC Whitman comics I bought on ebay. Those are mostly 1979/1980 so I'd have guessed around then for the date range even if it didn't have a date on it. I think it's a very cool poster, you were a lucky kid! lol

If they came with some DC Whitmans, isn't it quite possible the poster came in a sealed Whitman three pack?

If they came with some DC Whitmans, isn't it quite possible the poster came in a sealed Whitman three pack?

+1

A lot of those Whitman 3-packs had a "free gift" in them, so that's a possibility.

Those green guys in WW's lasso look a lot like green storm troopers! lol

The whole poster is definitely Star Wars-influenced.

It seems like a Buck Rogers/Battlestar Galactaca/Star Wars mashup.

A lot of those Whitman 3-packs had a "free gift" in them, so that's a possibility.

Another interesting theory you guys are kicking around! hm

I can't rule it out, but none of the DC Whitman 2-packs or 3-packs that I own have a free gift bouncing around in them, nor any labeling that indicates they packs contain a free gift. And I have a pretty good variety of these packs. Speaking for the DC Whitman packs that I don't own but have seen in pics, I've not noticed any free gift indicated.

I just found one of these posters over the weekend at an estate sale and was looking for some info on it when I came across this topic. My copy is the exact same as the one you guys have been talking about except that the one I have was rolled and never appears to have been folded. I'd be interested to know where it came from.

I just found one of these posters over the weekend at an estate sale and was looking for some info on it when I came across this topic. My copy is the exact same as the one you guys have been talking about except that the one I have was rolled and never appears to have been folded. I'd be interested to know where it came from.

CLICK

"Manufacturer: Chapin Enterprises

Year: 1978

Description: Wonder Woman poster coloring kit featuring one 16"x20" picture, three 11"x14" pictures, color chart, six colored textas and bonus poster on back. The back of the pack contains a poster featuring Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman.

Approx Value: TBA One sold online for US$65 in 2007 and another in 2013 for US$125"

arts-9l.jpgarts-9la.jpg