• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The time has arrived

50 posts in this topic

I went to the post office today and found a great letter to Santa. I will type the letter below EXACTLY as it was written.

Dear Santa Claus and Mrs Claus,

I wan't my mom to be happy have a job. She loves where she can have weekends and holidays off. if you have any more room for my gift I wan't a puppy. If you think i'm nawty that is alright just please let my mom haf that job and I really wan't a puppy I don't care wat one just a cute puppy

you'r friend,

Shane

p.s. I will leave you a note at christmas / Jesus'es birthday

I sorted through several letters and chose to help three kids, but this was definitely the most touching of the three letters. In the two others I chose, one was a little girl who asked for panties, and the other was from a little girl who asked for nothing, but sent Santa some pictures that she drew. Please ... Please ... Please ... If you can go to your local Post Office and help at least one little kid this Christmas. There are a lot of these letters, particularly if you live in a big city. I live in a fairly small town and found these within about 20 minutes.

Phil

This stuff is killing me, as we do not have this sort of facility in the Frozen North. I gave to charities, gave to Toy Mountain, but I'd love to make some little kid's Xmas better, if the PO would just institute something like this.

I've said this before, but although the US is larger, it is far more community-oriented than up here, where 110% of the population (counting illegals) live in cities.

What exactly do you do with this letter? You can't actually send the girl a puppy. Well, you could but her mom get get a little pissed.

Pretty darned nice of you Phil........nice way to make sure everyone has a happy Holiday. smile.gif

You know some kids have it rough when you catch them asking for underwear. I was extremely blessed as a child. We didn't have very much money thoughout the year, but I did get quite a few toys at Christmas........and love carried me through the rest of the year. Hopefully these kids at least have that.

Also check at your bank. My bank which is Suntrust in Fla, has about the same - we try to help 3 to 5 kids with X-mas that way. The bank has an angel with a pic of the child and a list of several toys they would like. What brings it home though is that many of them ask for clothing instead of toys - kids under 6 shouldn't be worried about clothes for X-mas if it can be helped. Excellent topic sniz.

What exactly do you do with this letter? You can't actually send the girl a puppy.

Right, Moms wouldn't be thrilled to have puppies delivered. We bought Shane a stuffed toy Dog (Not the same I know, but the best we could do) and we bought Shanes Mom a book on refining your Job search skills. We will arrive at the house and explain that we were sent by Santa, he had recieved Shanes letter and is VERY busy this year, but he wanted to make sure that Shane was taken care of as he had been such a good and unselfish boy. There will be a note from Santa attached to the Gift to Shane.

Phil

What brings it home though is that many of them ask for clothing instead of toys - kids under 6 shouldn't be worried about clothes for X-mas if it can be helped.

This telling comment deserves a repost. Thinking about kids whose sole Xmas wish is a pack of underwear just breaks my heart.

And hearing about this community spirit makes me want to move the US and empty out the Walmart toy section.

We've done this for a few years through our Corp., you'll be surprised at how many of these people send you letters every christmas..write you regularly, etc. It's a very nice thing to do, especially if you can give to a whole family smile.gif

Brian

The company I work for used to do this as well. Every year, we would find a family in need, the employees would take a collection and my boss would match it. We'd then send the money to the parents so they could have a Merry X-mas. We would receive cards and pics of the kids every year from the family. It was really nice. Then, a couple years ago, one of our main field employees got brain cancer and passed away. Now, we do the same thing, but we send the money to his family for his 3 children's college fund.

I commend you Phil! What you are doing is fantastic!

Chris

Phil, that is really great. My company did the same (Banc of America in NYC) but the responses were quite different. I read 25 letters, one was for a winter coat, one was for DVDs and the rest were for PS2 or Game Cube. That's great what you are doing Phil, everyone should have the best Christmas / Holiday season that they can.

All the best,

And hearing about this community spirit makes me want to move the US and empty out the Walmart toy section.

Be careful CI... even your avatar has been brought down by his own compassion... you'd hate to lose your doom and gloom reputation... although we promise not to tell... smirk.gif

We used to respond to Santa letters as a service project when I was in high school, but it's been many years since I participated. I think this year I'll be restarting the tradition.

Thanks Phil, for reminding us to be more like the heroes we collect...

I think this year I'll be restarting the tradition.

Oh hey, that is great. I would be thrilled to read the Santa letters you select. I find that some of the most precious ones are letters without stamps, particularly the ones that are not in envelopes, but instead wrapped in taped together paper.

Phil

I've been giving to a local day care center but now I'll stop at the post office to see what they have also. It's a good time of year to remember that not everyone has even the basic comforts to live.

You're a good man, Phil.

Ditto thanks for posting this thread. I've bought toys to donate several times in the past but have never considered to check with the Post Office till reading your message. I'll be doing so ASAP and hope enough folks will take the few minutes and give up some luxury of their own to provide something so basic for the terrific kids in need out there. God Bless, Chet

Phil, like many of the posters on this thread, I've never thought of finding these letters at the post office. I comend you.

I've got a friend who is my age(24) and a single mother. She's working very hard putting herself through college and raising her beautiful daughter by her self. She had her when she was 18, the boyfriend split and her parents basically dis-owned her. I have a tremendous respect for her and the sacrifices she makes for her child. She's very attractive, and is asked on dates all the time, but even though she's lonely she sacrifices all those things a girl her age should be able to do, and puts her daughter first. She works hard to give her child everything she needs or wants, and because of her hard work, her daughter dosen't have to write santa and ask for clothes. Just knowing her has taught me so much about priorities.

Throughout the year I try to do as much for them as I can, but she's very independant and won't accept money from me. So I offer other services like doing repairs for her, maintaining her car etc...

But when Christmas rolls around, I feel it's my opportunity to spoil her and her daughter. I'm trying very hard to get everything on that girl's list. I'm not close with my own family, so I'm spending christmas eve with them. Before I met them, I had no Christmas spirit, and just wanted the holidays to pass. It's incredible how in the process of trying to help someone else, you end up being the one who receives the help.

Again Phil, kudos for starting this thread. I think these are things we all need to hear, especially this time of year. It's times like this that It seems ridiculous to worry about sniping a $2000 book on ebay or Heritage, when there are people who will never see that or can't imagine that kind of luxury or freedom.