• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's Cashing Out

232 posts in this topic

22 Spirits, the Red Raven #1 and.... yeah, what else? Maybe those 17 books are where the million bucks will come from.

Is the Red Raven #1, because it's a Mile High Timely, going to be a book that will sell for a remarkable figure? How many people will go out on a limb for that book?

I really have no idea, personally.

And what is "out on a limb" for that book? Is it 6 figures?

Again, I have no clue. I don't really know the book all that well price-wise.

The Spirit 22 will bring good money (for that issue) but the others in the run aren't necessarily going to fetch eye-opening prices, unless they're 9.8 with White pages. Eisner didn't start doing the covers until #13, and the Lou Fine/Reed Crandall covers are fairly pedestrian on the first 11. The one thing they really have going for them is that they're Church copies & fresh to the market

my guess is they will all hit the auction block, as he mentions will happen if they don't sell...

I've already skipped past the direct sale and have assumed that they'll be sold via auction. Hopefully with no reserves, so they will sell. Otherwise, he will kill the value of the books further as they keep being put up for sale unsuccessfully.

My thoughts on receiving that email were:

1) Yup--he needs cash and is selling out

2) he may have up a bunch (maybe even a few hundred) Mile Highs left, but the truly good stuff is long gone

3) Character though he is, I'll be sorry to see him pass away in the next decade or so (if he's truly sick).

4) I'd be curious to see if he actually slabs the books.

a) We all know how he hates CGC for tightening grading standards and

b) Mile Highs that are 9.4 and below are often better left unslabbed in order to gain more money from the mystique than they would from the true technical grade, particularly if they aren't likely to be among the top two best-known copies (see the dozens of unslabbed Mile Highs held by Metro. My favorite example is Terry Toons # 38--the first Mighty Mouse. Widely known to be "just" a 6.5, there are at least 3 higher-grade copies out there, yet Metro still has it priced at legit 9.4 levels.)

My thoughts on receiving that email were:

b) Mile Highs that are 9.4 and below are often better left unslabbed in order to gain more money from the mystique than they would from the true technical grade, particularly if they aren't likely to be among the top two best-known copies (see the dozens of unslabbed Mile Highs held by Metro. My favorite example is Terry Toons # 38--the first Mighty Mouse. Widely known to be "just" a 6.5, there are at least 3 higher-grade copies out there, yet Metro still has it priced at legit 9.4 levels.)

Ahh, but they are slabbed.

Chuck.jpg

Feature Book #26. At one point, more valuable than Action #1 and the biggest book in the hobby. It's probably worth about the same money it was back then :tonofbricks:

Thinking about it, there are at least 6 individual Church books he could have kept that would be worth more by themselves than that whole box.

Feature Book #26. At one point, more valuable than Action #1 and the biggest book in the hobby. It's probably worth about the same money it was back then :tonofbricks:

Thinking about it, there are at least 6 individual Church books he could have kept that would be worth more by themselves than that whole box.

I would love to have that Feature Book 26. :cloud9:

Feature Book #26. At one point, more valuable than Action #1 and the biggest book in the hobby.

This is new to me. What's the significance?

Appreciation for one of the greatest artists of all time. (thumbs u

I would love to have that Feature Book 26. :cloud9:

My favorite of the bunch by far.

He has, and given that the RR #1 graded out as "only" a 9.0, I think you`re absolutely correct that he would`ve been better off not slabbing it.

Although of course everyone would then be demanding to know what was wrong with it if Chuck was scared to slab it.

He has, and given that the RR #1 graded out as "only" a 9.0, I think you`re absolutely correct that he would`ve been better off not slabbing it.

Although of course everyone would then be demanding to know what was wrong with it if Chuck was scared to slab it.

This strategy would make sense, but I believe the RR#1 had already been seen by quite a few of the higher end collector/dealers years back. RR#1 is perhaps the greatest one shot of all time and it coming to market, not being graded and listed at a fix price raw would raise some serious eyebrows. Especially if he plans to "shop it around in San Diego." What surprised me is when some suggested in the other thread that CGC graded it a 9.4 . Steve Fishler noted at the sale of his CGC 9.0 that the Mile High RR#1 was in the VF range.

Irregardless if CGC gave it a 9.0, which I speculate came after a good pressing if Chuck want's $11,287.50 for a cream paged POS ASM#1 in CGC 4.0 (LINK) you can best bet he wants well over $100k for the RR#1.

As previously stated I think a realistic price tag considering the sale of Metro's 9.0 is anywhere from $50k to $60k.

Feature Book #26. At one point, more valuable than Action #1 and the biggest book in the hobby.

This is new to me. What's the significance?

Appreciation for one of the greatest artists of all time. (thumbs u

I believe the cover is the only original Prince Valiant comic book art Foster ever did.