• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do I do with it now?

29 posts in this topic

I got my first CGC graded comic today. (Thanks to GreatEscape!)

Famous Funnies #100 (CGC grade 2.5)

Not HG by any means, but the price was right and the mix of a milestone issue number, the title, and the cover, made for a tempting buy.

But... what now?

I want to open it and check out the insides!

I want to smell it and feel it and read it!!

All I've got is a thin plastic box with comic book inside that I can't frickin' get to. I suppose I can turn it over and look at the back cover for a bit.

Who am I kidding...I don't bloody like the thing!

Sterile and lifeless. May as well have bought an encapsulated stamp!

Can I stay on the boards though?!

You could take a picture of it and then sell it and appreciate it the same way. As long as it is in the slab its about as useful as a picture. Break it out and enjoy it like comics are suppose to be enjoyed.

I understand why some people like to crack out comics, but I keep them in the slab for one simple reason, protection. Now this doesn't matter as much if they are low grade or inexpensive books, but if not, then I really like the added protection I have with the books in the slab. I have damaged 2 high grade books that were in Mylars due to accidents over the past 10 years and one was a GA.

If I want to read the comic, I simply buy a low grade copy for that purpose.

Slabs are only useful to me for 3 reasons...

Protection of HG key books

Aesthetics

To maximize profit

Funny books are meant to be enjoyed. If you have the desire to open the book and read it than crack it out and then put it in a nice mylar/fullback.

I understand why some people like to crack out comics, but I keep them in the slab for one simple reason, protection. Now this doesn't matter as much if they are low grade or inexpensive books, but if not, then I really like the added protection I have with the books in the slab. I have damaged 2 high grade books that were in Mylars due to accidents over the past 10 years and one was a GA.

Accidents can happen with slabs too.

Also some people don't like holding a low grade copy of a book (like me) but more power to you if that is your thing.

Different strokes for different folks.

:grin:

Crack that baby out! :headbang:

If you want to re-slab it sometime down the road you can always do so.

Keep the label with the bagged book. If you choose not to re-slab and take care of the book and go to sell it someday, most people will respect the grade still value-wise as per the label... 2c

A Priest and a Rabbi are riding in a plane. After a while, the Priest turns to the Rabbi and asks, "Is it still a requirement of your faith that you not eat pork?"

The Rabbi responds, "Yes, that is still one of our beliefs."

The Priest then asks, "Have you ever eaten pork?"

To which the Rabbi replies, "Yes, on one occasion I did succumb to temptation and tasted pork."

The Priest nodded in understanding and went on with his reading. A while later, the Rabbi spoke up and asked the Priest, "Father, is it still a requirement of your church that you remain celibate?"

The Priest replied, "Yes, that is still very much a part of our faith."

The Rabbi then asked him, "Father, have you ever fallen to the temptations of the flesh?"

The Priest replied, "Yes Rabbi, on one occasion I was weak and broke with my faith."

The Rabbi nodded understandingly for a moment and then said, "A lot better than pork isn't it?"

Also some people don't like holding a low grade copy of a book (like me) but more power to you if that is your thing.

I'm sorry, can you explain what you mean by "holding a low grade copy"...thanks.

Crack that baby out! :headbang:

If you want to re-slab it sometime down the road you can always do so.

Keep the label with the bagged book. If you choose not to re-slab and take care of the book and go to sell it someday, most people will respect the grade still value-wise as per the label... 2c

(thumbs u What he said

I'm sorry, can you explain what you mean by "holding a low grade copy"...thanks.

Roy prefers to flip through high grade copies rather than low grade copies. Kinda like flipping through a comic fresh off the stands rather than a comic that was well read prior to acquiring it.

Roy prefers to flip through high grade copies rather than low grade copies. Kinda like flipping through a comic fresh off the stands rather than a comic that was well read prior to acquiring it.

Oh, I see...thanks.

I'm afraid to hold my high grade books outside the mylar after the two accidents I had. But I understand the feel of flipping through them like that.

I was going to post a reply but my computer crashed.

Pretty summed up by Beyonder.

If I can afford a higher grade copy I will choose that one, even for reading over a lower grade book.

(thumbs u

I mostly own SA books. So for everything that I have slabbed I also own a lower grade reading copy. So I don't crack mine. On the other hand, if you want to read your book, heck feel free too, it's your right as the owner.

But can you stay on the boards??? Sure why not, unless you start to slam our hosts CGC. There are many people here that don't own slabbed books.

Crack it out. I had a bunch of bronze horror that I wanted to read so I cracked them out of the slabs. Thought I feel some remourse doing it but It didn't phase me and they enjoy their new home in a mylar and fullback.

Use it as a fancy cup holder.

I think the CGC cases are dispayed well and I like it. I hate the old labels. But I have a few books w/ the old labels cause I don't want to pay for the new labels.

You have to own at least 1 slabbed CGC book, low grade or high grade to be on the boards. New rule I'm creating. :)