• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE CREEP posted by Goonchild

26 posts in this topic

Oh man. Look you might be trying to help or whatever but something tells me you've just gone and made this one hundred times worse for me.

IP check, mods? Admins? Might be a good opportunity.

No offence but IP check is useless because of proxies.

I was under the impression each computer has its own unique IP that can't be changed? If that's not the case then I dunno what else to do. Anyway, I said I was done with this and I am. I'm going to take the advice offered - 'if you are who say you are you have nothing to worry about - just post and enjoy yourself' was the general gist. I can't remember who said it now but it sounds like good advice.

I was under the impression each computer has its own unique IP that can't be changed? If that's not the case then I dunno what else to do. Anyway, I said I was done with this and I am. I'm going to take the advice offered - 'if you are who say you are you have nothing to worry about - just post and enjoy yourself' was the general gist. I can't remember who said it now but it sounds like good advice.

Every computer has a unique MAC address. IP is given to you by your isp be it static or dynamic and while a static IP would be unique to you most people have a dynamic IP which means it changes as each time a person connects into their isp, but regardless if you are static or dynamic you can go though a proxy site or obtain a proxy IP and mask it. You can also mask your MAC address but takes a bit more work but not much.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Though I can't see why anyone would feel the need to do that unless they were involved in something fraudulent. (shrug)

I guess ANYONE here can be a troll or a 'shill', or whatever else in that case, if this kind of thing is so easy to do. I guess trust is just required. Hopefully people who are doubting me will eventually come to trust me when they realise I pose no kind of threat whatsoever, at least I hope so.

Do you mind if I ask what this person has done? I'm guessing it's something financial?

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Though I can't see why anyone would feel the need to do that unless they were involved in something fraudulent. (shrug)

I guess ANYONE here can be a troll or a 'shill', or whatever else in that case, if this kind of thing is so easy to do. I guess trust is just required. Hopefully people who are doubting me will eventually come to trust me when they realise I pose no kind of threat whatsoever, at least I hope so.

Do you mind if I ask what this person has done? I'm guessing it's something financial?

It doesn't have to be fraudulent. When a member is banned for whatever from this site they watch for previous mac/ip info along with a few other things and these users that keep coming back use this as part of their tactics to not be tracked if they know how.

As for what person I havn't been keeping up to date to who they say you are a shill for

That makes two of us because I don't know who they're talking about myself! I've had about 3 names and about 5 or 6 screennames for the person I've been accused of being.

I'm not going to talk about it any more. I'm finding it very boring now - to the point of it giving me a headache - and I pretty much feel that all that can be said on the subject has been. I'm just focusing on immersing myself into the boards now and having discussions. I'm glad I've stuck around because there are some very nice people around here, hopefully some of which can help me learn more about the hobby.

Hopefully I'll see you around on some of my threads. (thumbs u

I'm going on a small holiday with some friends for a week in the next few days, maybe by that time this will have blown over. (shrug)

Right, time to jump in the shower and get to bed I think!