• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Batman Neal Adams Book in stores tomorrow

90 posts in this topic

Here's a page he posted on Facebook a month or so ago. Honestly, I don't really care for it compared to his older work. I think the digital inks and color really kill the page.

100805.jpg.ad1965db50f67ccc304c8e48a5d4fb7d.jpg

Here's a page he posted on Facebook a month or so ago. Honestly, I don't really care for it compared to his older work. I think the digital inks and color really kill the page.

I do love the penciling there...the self inking thing has never worked for me since the day of Contuinity. I wish Tom Palmer or someone else can do that part.

This series will introduce Neal's work to a whole generation of newer fans that don't know about his older classic SA/BA stuff. Look for demand and prices on 60s and 70s Adams Batman books to surge as word of mouth on this long overdue series picks up. I feel like a kid again actually getting excited about a new modern purchase. I hope you skeptics at least give it a try. Neal Adams is back doing what he was born to do: illustrate Batman. I'm practically wetting my pants. :whee:
Do you like Neal adams or something? I mean he is pretty well known, but I can't imagine people going crazy over his work :insane: :insane:

I do love the penciling there...the self inking thing has never worked for me since the day of Contuinity. I wish Tom Palmer or someone else can do that part.

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember reading a quote from Adams about the inking chores on this series. He mentioned that he would be inking some, but that some other guys who have "wanted to get a chance to ink my stuff" will also be contributing on later issues. So that will be interesting in itself to see what different established fan-boy inkers will do with Neal's pencils.

I agree, not bad but really quite generic. Adams' art had far more visceral force, clarity and immediacy back in the day - this page does seem a bit lifeless. I'll definitely be buying the first issue, but would never expect work that will be comparable with his prime.

Which begs the question, "why did it take so long for Adams to return to the character that he virtually defined, all those years ago?" I heard various rumors over the years that he didn't get on with several editors of the Batman line, which prevented him from taking up the artistic reins again. Shame either way.

The major concern I have about the book is the storyline. His Continuity books were well known for having great art but absolutely abysmal stories, and I hope this imbalance is avoided in the new DC material.

:wishluck:

This series will introduce Neal's work to a whole generation of newer fans that don't know about his older classic SA/BA stuff. Look for demand and prices on 60s and 70s Adams Batman books to surge as word of mouth on this long overdue series picks up. I feel like a kid again actually getting excited about a new modern purchase. I hope you skeptics at least give it a try. Neal Adams is back doing what he was born to do: illustrate Batman. I'm practically wetting my pants. :whee:
Do you like Neal adams or something? I mean he is pretty well known, but I can't imagine people going crazy over his work :insane: :insane:

Yes, I consider myself a high grade Adams completionist. Didn't think that was a secret with the regulars. I own 120+ high grade Adams CGC slabs and counting. These are not Dover numbers, but I do own a few books he wouldn't mind having. I am also 95+% complete on his Marvel/DC/Warren/Atlas SA/BA catalog consisting of mid/high grade raw copies. I used to think John Byrne was the man when I was a kid until I came to appreciate just how much better and more influential than most of his peers Adams was in his prime. This guy changed the game, plain and simple. He made the rest of the drek step up their game and comics were never the same. So many imitators, but none in the last 40 years have had a bigger impact on comics than the Silver/Bronze master Neal Adams. I wouldn't say I'm going crazy though. Well, I gotta go camp outside my LCS now so I can be first in line. lol

Yes, I consider myself a high grade Adams completionist. Didn't think that was a secret with the regulars. I own 120+ high grade Adams CGC slabs and counting. These are not Dover numbers, but I do own a few books he wouldn't mind having. I am also 95+% complete on his Marvel/DC/Warren/Atlas SA/BA catalog consisting of mid/high grade raw copies. I used to think John Byrne was the man when I was a kid until I came to appreciate just how much better and more influential than most of his peers Adams was in his prime. This guy changed the game, plain and simple. He made the rest of the drek step up their game and comics were never the same. So many imitators, but none in the last 40 years have had a bigger impact on comics than the Silver/Bronze master Neal Adams. I wouldn't say I'm going crazy though. Well, I gotta go camp outside my LCS now so I can be first in line. lol

:popcorn:

I think it looks pretty sharp. The man is pushing 70 years old and he can still bring the thunder. (thumbs u

When I am 70, I am just hoping I can remember where I left the remote.

1278559363_cvr.jpg

Is a bullet about to lobotomize him?

I know this is a nit, but does it look like Batman's teeth are not aligned correctly with the rest of his mouth? It's like his top teeth are shifted more to the left than the rest of his face...

I'm hoping one of the Comic Shops in my area has one of these left so I can give it a read tonight. I've got a few HG copies ordered for SS purposes myself.

If anyone is interested, Neal Adams will be at Dragon Con in September and we're taking submissions to get things signed. Sig Room Thread

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the story is on par with the art, which is sure to be awesome! :wishluck:

1278559363_cvr.jpg

I know this is a nit, but does it look like Batman's teeth are not aligned correctly with the rest of his mouth? It's like his top teeth are shifted more to the left than the rest of his face...

Thomas and Martha died before they thought he was old enough for braces. Alfred, well he's british and you know how they are about dental care...

:jokealert:

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember reading a quote from Adams about the inking chores on this series. He mentioned that he would be inking some, but that some other guys who have "wanted to get a chance to ink my stuff" will also be contributing on later issues. So that will be interesting in itself to see what different established fan-boy inkers will do with Neal's pencils.

Scott Williams is inking the rest of the book.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4124858#Post4124858

1278559363_cvr.jpg

I think there are two extra lines on the third knuckle that should not be there.....this guy can't draw! He needs to have a retreat to Japan and re-invent himself.