• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Batman Neal Adams Book in stores tomorrow

90 posts in this topic

1278559363_cvr.jpg

Is a bullet about to lobotomize him?

I know this is a nit, but does it look like Batman's teeth are not aligned correctly with the rest of his mouth? It's like his top teeth are shifted more to the left than the rest of his face...

Thomas and Martha died before they thought he was old enough for braces. Alfred, well he's british and you know how they are about dental care...

:jokealert:

Plus he's been hit in the mouth about 600 million times.

1278559363_cvr.jpg

I know this is a nit, but does it look like Batman's teeth are not aligned correctly with the rest of his mouth? It's like his top teeth are shifted more to the left than the rest of his face...

Thomas and Martha died before they thought he was old enough for braces. Alfred, well he's british and you know how they are about dental care...

:jokealert:

Plus he's been hit in the mouth about 600 million times.

(thumbs u

I'm hoping one of the Comic Shops in my area has one of these left so I can give it a read tonight. I've got a few HG copies ordered for SS purposes myself.

If anyone is interested, Neal Adams will be at Dragon Con in September and we're taking submissions to get things signed. Sig Room Thread

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the story is on par with the art, which is sure to be awesome! :wishluck:

My LCS seems to have ordered a lot of these. I wouldn't be worried.

$3.99 was a turn off and I passed. It didn't seem like there were many pages of story (some filler though). Had it been a giant size issue with 30+ or whatever pages of NA art I might have done differently. Given how many they ordered I would not be surprised if I pluck one out of the $1/3for$2 box in a couple of months with a spine tick on it (I don't expect a minty copy by the time I get to it). I guess I'm a cheap bas***d.

This series will introduce Neal's work to a whole generation of newer fans that don't know about his older classic SA/BA stuff. Look for demand and prices on 60s and 70s Adams Batman books to surge as word of mouth on this long overdue series picks up. I feel like a kid again actually getting excited about a new modern purchase. I hope you skeptics at least give it a try. Neal Adams is back doing what he was born to do: illustrate Batman. I'm practically wetting my pants. :whee:
Do you like Neal adams or something? I mean he is pretty well known, but I can't imagine people going crazy over his work :insane: :insane:

Yes, I consider myself a high grade Adams completionist. Didn't think that was a secret with the regulars. I own 120+ high grade Adams CGC slabs and counting. These are not Dover numbers, but I do own a few books he wouldn't mind having. I am also 95+% complete on his Marvel/DC/Warren/Atlas SA/BA catalog consisting of mid/high grade raw copies. I used to think John Byrne was the man when I was a kid until I came to appreciate just how much better and more influential than most of his peers Adams was in his prime. This guy changed the game, plain and simple. He made the rest of the drek step up their game and comics were never the same. So many imitators, but none in the last 40 years have had a bigger impact on comics than the Silver/Bronze master Neal Adams. I wouldn't say I'm going crazy though. Well, I gotta go camp outside my LCS now so I can be first in line. lol

:popcorn:

Was wondering when you'd show up and join the party?! :hi:

1278559363_cvr.jpg

Try getting hit by a few bullets,lets see how your mouth looks. lol

1278559363_cvr.jpg

At that angle, wouldn't the bullet exit above the ulna? hm

1278559363_cvr.jpg

it's a funny book :gossip:

1278559363_cvr.jpg

I hear all the sitting models fell too fast after he would shoot them for him to get a good pose

1278559363_cvr.jpg

I hear all the sitting models fell too fast after he would shoot them for him to get a good pose

:D

I LOVE NEAL ADAMS stuff, but I just don't like the way this one looks, nor did I like his continuity stuff, nor that AVENGERS FINALE or whatever it was called one-shot.

Is that colors? The inking? His actual pencilling? I don't know, but I don't like it as much as the earlier stuff.

Kind of like BYRNE that way. LOVED the early stuff, and then it just lost its magic.

I'm hoping one of the Comic Shops in my area has one of these left so I can give it a read tonight. I've got a few HG copies ordered for SS purposes myself.

If anyone is interested, Neal Adams will be at Dragon Con in September and we're taking submissions to get things signed. Sig Room Thread

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the story is on par with the art, which is sure to be awesome! :wishluck:

I'm guessing BILLIONS of these were printed. My LCS still has a mound....

Can someone get me two copies of this? Well someone who can hand pick 9.8s... I wanna be able to get one SS and another to read. If anyone is willing to help me out it would be greatly appreciated as I wont be able to hit a comic shop until next week. Hoping for a pm...

I LOVE NEAL ADAMS stuff, but I just don't like the way this one looks, nor did I like his continuity stuff, nor that AVENGERS FINALE or whatever it was called one-shot.

Is that colors? The inking? His actual pencilling? I don't know, but I don't like it as much as the earlier stuff.

Kind of like BYRNE that way. LOVED the early stuff, and then it just lost its magic.

I agree...two things that can clearly be pinpointed from the pages of Batman Odyssey available on the web is that:

(1) his latest rendition of Batman is too often drawn with a very agressive expression on his face (even more than Jim Lee's) with every mucles contracted to the point of bursting... 'roid rage???

(2) the inking is much too close to his pencils...a Terry Austin (much like Giordano) would have helped in giving a little more breathing to Adams' drawings...let's see how Scott Williams inking will look...

I am surprised there isn`t any more buzz about this, after all it`s Neal Adams drawing inside a Batman comic for the first time in over 30 years! This is what comics are about! :cool:

Shocking as it may seem, there are probably quite a few younger collectors that do know/care who Neal Adams is. They like Jim Lee.

Is there supposed to be a "not" between the "do" and "know"? (shrug)

Anyway, I just read it and: The story was average but interesting which is what I expected from an Adam's penned saga. The guy is not known for his writing after all. The buzz around this book revolves around the pencils. The new art IMO is brilliant. Neal's pencils are of course going to be different than they were 40 years ago when he was a young man. They have evolved into a more contemporary style, but still with his trademark energy and attention to detail in every panel. Those wonderful Adams profiles and facial expressions were never more beautiful than they are in this book. I agree that I would have liked to see another inker taking a crack right out of the box. Also liked the early alternate cover they printed on the last page even better than the one they chose. A more classic and heroic pose I believe on the alternate that would have made for a cool 1:50 variant or something.

I've seen a couple of posts complaining about the price being too high at $3.99. I'm confused, but aren't almost ALL new comics $3.99? $3.99 is too much for 25 pages of new Neal Adams Batman art? Do yourselves a favor and find a way to save that extra dollar to invest in this one. You wont be disappointed.