• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Batman Neal Adams Book in stores tomorrow

90 posts in this topic

It's exactly what I was so concerned about, a comic that feels like nothing more than re-branded Continuity product, which had stories so bad that not even excellent art could keep you interested in making it through to the end of the book.

I don't like the new art style - as with many here I don't think it's a patch on his classic 60s / 70s work at all. Some of it feels too much like static advertising art rather than dynamic sequential art, which is exactly how I feel about the Batmobile page shown earlier in the thread.

I had hoped things would change because of the transition to DC but I'm finding his new work very disappointing indeed, and I can only hope it gets better as the mini-series progresses. :(

Well honestly, that is what you should have expected. Neal simply doesn't draw like that anymore. He hasn't drawn like that for at least 30 years. Like other artists, he has discovered shortcuts and his art has evolved or devolved if you prefer. I also don't think it is as good as the early Bronze work. He has made a concerted effort to be more dynamic in his drawing and it lost some of the realism that made his work so attractive to start with.

I still think he is better than 95% of the hacks out there, just not quite up to his own impossibly high standard.

And I have never understood why artists all want to be writers. None of them are ever any good.

And I have never understood why artists all want to be writers. None of them are ever any good (except for Frank Miller).

:whistle:

And I have never understood why artists all want to be writers. None of them are ever any good.

There are a few exceptions. Byrne was good on FF, Miller on his earlier stuff... Overall, though, it's a reasonably accurate statement. :(

It's exactly what I was so concerned about, a comic that feels like nothing more than re-branded Continuity product, which had stories so bad that not even excellent art could keep you interested in making it through to the end of the book.

I don't like the new art style - as with many here I don't think it's a patch on his classic 60s / 70s work at all. Some of it feels too much like static advertising art rather than dynamic sequential art, which is exactly how I feel about the Batmobile page shown earlier in the thread.

I had hoped things would change because of the transition to DC but I'm finding his new work very disappointing indeed, and I can only hope it gets better as the mini-series progresses. :(

Well honestly, that is what you should have expected. Neal simply doesn't draw like that anymore. He hasn't drawn like that for at least 30 years. Like other artists, he has discovered shortcuts and his art has evolved or devolved if you prefer. I also don't think it is as good as the early Bronze work. He has made a concerted effort to be more dynamic in his drawing and it lost some of the realism that made his work so attractive to start with.

I still think he is better than 95% of the hacks out there, just not quite up to his own impossibly high standard.

+1. Well said Dale! (thumbs u

There are a few exceptions. Byrne was good on FF, Miller on his earlier stuff... Overall, though, it's a reasonably accurate statement. :(

Even though it's Modern pap, I enjoyed Tony Daniel's run on Batman. His writing was solid and while his art wasn't as dynamic as it was on previous issues when he was solely on pencils, it was still bloody good.