• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner Advice

40 posts in this topic

Best scanner for the money to me is an HP 8200. They can be found for under a $100 on Ebay (thumbs u

I agree!!

Just bought one for $32 on ebay. Received it today. Here is my first scan:

001.jpg

I just picked up an 8250 on craigslist for $25....what software and settings are y'all using for scans?!?

Best scanner for the money to me is an HP 8200. They can be found for under a $100 on Ebay (thumbs u

I agree!!

001.jpg

I just picked up an 8250 on craigslist for $25....what software and settings are y'all using for scans?!?

You can try inverting the comic upside down on the scanner bed to see if the glare comes out better and then inverting the picture back right side up with Windows afterwards. Sometimes the way the light approaches the book as it's being scanned determines how the glare appears and the light approaching one end of the book first may produce a different glare than when it is approaching the other end of the book.

I also use an HP8250.

I use the Windows Camera and Scanner Wizard to operate the scanner and then I use the Photostudio 5.5 program to adjust the scan so that it looks more like the book in hand (because the raw scan looks very dull and grainy).

Here is one of my scans. It's fairly representative of how the book looks in hand.

RangersComics26CGC94owwf.jpg

School me...what adjustments do you typically make? Mine turn out a bit dull too

PhotoStudio 5.5 has an "auto enhance" feature. Once you click on it you get a graduated scale (which a bunch of thumbnails) where you can choose the level of enhancement that you want. I generally choose the one that best represents the way my book looks in hand.

I agree!!

001.jpg

You can try inverting the comic upside down on the scanner bed to see if the glare comes out better and then inverting the picture back right side up with Windows afterwards. Sometimes the way the light approaches the book as it's being scanned determines how the glare appears and the light approaching one end of the book first may produce a different glare than when it is approaching the other end of the book.

I also use an HP8250.

I use the Windows Camera and Scanner Wizard to operate the scanner and then I use the Photostudio 5.5 program to adjust the scan so that it looks more like the book in hand (because the raw scan looks very dull and grainy).

Here is one of my scans. It's fairly representative of how the book looks in hand.

RangersComics26CGC94owwf.jpg

Thanks for that advice on the scanner glare.

School me...what adjustments do you typically make? Mine turn out a bit dull too

I myself use Office picture manager. I never use auto adjust, I simply go to the edit pictures tab and adjust the brightness (tone down), contrast (tone up) and midtone (tone up) buttons. But I am still learning so there are probably other things I need to do that I don't know about.

I myself use Office picture manager. I never use auto adjust, I simply go to the edit pictures tab and adjust the brightness (tone down), contrast (tone up) and midtone (tone up) buttons. But I am still learning so there are probably other things I need to do that I don't know about.

I used to do that but when you're making hundreds of scans it becomes a real pain. Especially when you're a perfectionist like me when trying to make something visual. I'd spend 1/2 an hour on one book sometimes trying to make it look right. I just can't afford that time anymore. Whatever works, folks!

(thumbs u

I use google's picasa 3 after scanning with the windows photo gallery. Picasa 3 has an "I'm feeling lucky" button which makes it easy. I like to keep it as simple as can be (thumbs u

There's been enough noob bashing in the last week to keep everyone satisfied.

:makepoint:

Didn't RMA swoop in and soothe them?

IWhen I started here, I didnt even know how to post photos of books! I still remember Count and Blow up the Moon walking me through it.

I've regretted it ever since. :(

lol

Got my HP8200 in today.

First Scan:

xmen106.jpg

Very, very happy with the scanner so far. The thing is enormous, though! Much, much bigger than my previous scanner. Worth it though....

Now I just need to find the right software....

Yeh, that's how my scans were turning out. Washed out. I need to experiment with the software and learn the tweaks that make the book look most accurate in hand...

I have been using my HP2210xi all in one for years and was very happy with the results. have done thousands of scans on it. About 6 months ago I got some kind of virus and ever since then I have not been able to get the HP director software to reinstall correctly. I can no longer scan book after book . I now have to scan each book about 3 times to accept the output ( which is about 5 times the size as well The only way I can access it it through HP Photo and imaging gallery program.

so basically for that reason alone I am looking for a new all in one printer scaner/copier and maybe fax machine.

I edit my books with Photoshop pro. Mostly cutting the pixels down to 100 per inch and the size down to about 730 by 1050 so they fit nicely on Photobucket. This seems to give a nice sized image and is only about 200k per book so it does not burn bandwidth.

here is one of the few books that I have spent the time scanning since the problem

fc596Turok.jpg

It looks a little it could be a little over enhanced in my eyes as the whites scream (see the CGC label).

yeah, I know...still working on the right formula.... hm

If you're using PhotoStudio5.5 just use the "auto enhance" feature which is found in the "enhance" sub-menu at the top of the page and then choose the one that looks closest to the comic...there is about 10 options that you can choose by clicking on the most correct looking thumbnail.

R.