• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.2 with holes? just skip the piss match

140 posts in this topic

We all know that stupid people never understand much. I am asian (yes a nip i don't take offense wink.gif ) and our culture is a collective one. Everything revolves around family. I have enough money and then some to move out, but why should I if our house is huge? I'd rather pay my parents rent money to help them out instead of some dimwit landlord. I am the youngest of 10 and I feel that my parents have a sense of "losing" their children since we are all grown up now. My parents are obviously old since I am #10 and i'd love to stay here with them as long as I can because I don't know when they are going to pass. Heck, once I buy a house of my own I would want my parents to live with me so that I could take care of them to show them how much I appreciate them and everything they have done for me.

Use your brain sometimes before you make comments or state your assumptions as being fact. It's truly sad how western society has family members sueing one another and all that other jazz. Sorry but not everyone in america is like you and your family. Thank GOD!

(Supa u know this wasn't for you wink.gif )

ahhhh, don't worry about it, i lived at home till i was 23 before moving to the city. your doing almost exactly what i was doing then, going to school. you have to remember these forums is a place for people to vent as well as being informative. try not take anything personal and you'll be fine, there are a lot of unhappy and lonely people out there.

Ricky, I am pretty sure supa was dogging someone else, and not you... his post reads like he's defending you...

But I really don't know what the heck shuley's deal is...

Anybody up for chipping in a dollar on an experiment? I've got a 3-hole punch and NM/M copy of Ultimates 1... For just $12 we could see what happens...

all i know is that ricky over here,the youngest of mark wilson's 75 kids start ranting and raving about CGC grading,i just suggested he call up mr .borock himself and ask him all these questions and concerns he has...before i know it,im under attack.( Operation : CGC Funny Books)

all ricky was doing was bringing an interesting example of cgc's grading to everone's attention for discussion and debate. don't see any signs of ranting and raving about cgc.

this is the cgc forum, where the whole idea is to discuss the pros and cons of the way cgc is grading books. i'm sure steve b himself would prefer these issues discused here, what would anyone else learn if ricky just phoned cgc himself?

I think this is still a best way to grade a book with this kind of UNUSUAL flaw.

It's would be ridiculous to grade this normally... how much should be deducted from these holes, is this book 0.5/1.0/2.0/3.0?? It's impossible to say... because just like with date and name stamps there are people who accept these kind of flaws and then there's people who can't even look at the same direction without throwing up.

Another point of view:

I think the main purpose for grading is to tell what a book will look like. (i know... this sounds a bit obvious grin.gif )

For example if someone tells that the grade is NM... we know what that book will look like without seeing a picture of it.

Now which of the following describes books condition better? (without seeing it)

Poor 1.0 incomplete or NM- 9.2 qualified, 3 holes through the book. (Or Rick's P.O.S 1.0 smile.gif )

That poor 1.0 incomplete doesn't tell anything about condition. It could be a beat up ugly book with 3 holes or like a new copy with 3 holes.

People criticise this kind of grading but no-one has told a better way to do this, why?

I laugh everytime I think of this POS book getting a NM- 9.2 grade with huge holes through the entire comic. With an internal defect like a clipped coupon or MVS you can still fairly grade the front cover, back cover and page quality, then assign a Qualified grade.

With this Holey Wonder, what do the graders at CGC do? Put special glasses on that create the illusion that the holes aren't there? This is a HUGE defect and I could care less if some people accept it. I know collectors who buy cover-less books, but would be like to see a cover-less CGC 9.8 Qualified "No Cover" comic?

You have to draw the line somewhere and the logical method would be to use Qualified for internal defects or incompletes, but stuff that cuts out major pieces of the cover should be graded as such. Plus, if I were to hole-punch a NM+ ASM #300, I highly doubt CGC would just give it a Qualified CGC 9.8.

Am simply replying to the first post here, not to Mister Nelson! grin.gif

I tend to agree with what I have seen in Qualified so far. Even to the extent of bindery holes. The bindery holes are plainly stated on the label. The label is green. If this book did NOT have the bindery holes then the qualified grade would have been what it is.

In this case, it is up to the buyer to determine how much the bindery holes impact the book to their opinion, and make a buying decision based on that.

The Qualified Grade is something I respect CGC for. It is the single most difficult thing to accept but they have decided to go through with it (kudos for that). I mentioned this a couple of months ago...when the OS Grading Guide came out Gary Carter and I had a long discussion about some of the potential implications...for me, their opinion that writing on the cover would reduce a book to (as I recall) VG regardless of the condition of the rest of the book was wrong. That would mean that a truly Mint book with a name on the cover would be categorized with all the other VG books with spine creases, corner turns etc. That made no sense and I told Gary that a special grade concept should be created for high grade books that had a single major defect. The reasoning behind this was that - ok - you could have a VF+ book with a large "This is Mikey's book" written across it. Otherwise, the pages are white, the spine is tight, the colors are bright, the dings are slight, but the grade is not right! (I'm a poet and didn't realize it grin.gifwink.gif )

Because if you compare this one book with the "average" VG it is head and shoulders above it except for one thing.

Now I would agree with you that if the book was just graded NM or VF or whatever and no discrepancy was made in label color AND notation, that is most unfair. But since we have an identifying label color and explicit reasons listed as to why it is Qualified, then let the buyer decide.

I truly understand your reasoning and I respect your opinion, but what i'm also curious about is whether or not CGC would give a modern book the same treatment. If I decided to punch holes into my Amazing Spidey #300 CGC 9.6, I highly doubt that it would come back a green label 9.6. I'm so sure of it, i'd put money on it.

I guess this is related to the grading by era thread. grin.gif

The problem with allowing serious, highly visible and "missing huge chunks of the comic" defects into the Qualified grade is: where does it end?

How about those books that had the top part of the covers sliced off for returns? Are they Qualified? Is a pristine cover-less comic a Qualified NM 9.6, because with the cover it would have graded 9.6 no problem? What about a single comic page, that sounds Qualified as well.

When you open up the door to letting hole-punched comics into Qualified, you really have trouble keeping anything out. If a comic with three large holes punched out through the ENTIRE BOOK is Qualified, what isn't?

I really think this book goes far beyond your "writing on the cover" or "coupon clipped" examples and is a serious, serious flaw that should be graded fairly without any voodoo CGC magic.