• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else dropping ASM due to the price?

66 posts in this topic

I'm considering dropping it. Shame because I like collecting runs.

But the price, and more importantly that I've missed the last two issues due to Diamond shipments and mis-orders, is driving my decision. Especially irritating as the build-up of the last 30 or so issues has been for naught as I can't read the recent arc.

Pat

I stopped buying them when the price went to $1.50...

:whistle:

Seriously, for the money I've saved since 1993, I could buy any and all "keys," every other issue, and still have a mountain of money left over.

I feel for you guys that need your new comics fix.

Aside from Countdown to Inifinite Crisis, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I haven't bought new comics since 1993.

Seriously, for the money I've saved since 1993, I could buy any and all "keys," every other issue, and still have a mountain of money left over.

Aside from Countdown to Inifinite Crisis, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I haven't bought new comics since 1993.

There's still Modern $1 comics at the LCS. They really are the cat's *spoon*!

DSC012151.jpg

Check 'em out and don't forget to go back in August for the $1 L & K #1 when it gets released. (thumbs u

I dropped all moderns a few months ago. First time since 1989 that I am not buying any monthly moderns. Now I pick them up in TP/HC or don't bother with them and I buy better back issues.

An extra perk I found out buying a TP/HC over moderns is resale value, example if I buy $50 dollars worth of TP/HC`S I usually can get back at least 50 percent selling on Ebay while if I buy $50 dollars worth of modern floppies the odds are slim and none that I will get back even $10 dollars on Ebay.

Well, some of us have to buy and read new comics or else you won't be able to hoard the new issues you want for pennies on the dollar years later. ;)

To me, new books are worth it and I'll continue to buy them as long as I'm entertained enough for my money with the new stories.

If comics today were still the quality back in the 90s, I wouldn't buy them if they were even 25¢ each brand new. Hell, I'm pretty much paying to get rid of all that that I have from the 90s right now.

I don't why you feel sorry for us, I get quite enjoyment out of my weekly comics and although I agree its a lot of money I am happy to pay it (thumbs u I get over 20 comics a month and still spend less than someone with a smoking addiction (shrug)

I don't why you feel sorry for us, I get quite enjoyment out of my weekly comics and although I agree its a lot of money I am happy to pay it (thumbs u I get over 20 comics a month and still spend less than someone with a smoking addiction (shrug)

I said I feel for you...I didn't say I feel SORRY for you...

There's a difference in meaning between those two phrases.

(thumbs u

And you certainly don't need to defend your buying habits to anyone. As long as you feel you're getting your money's worth, that's the sole, absolute, and only thing that matters.

I just wish you didn't have to pay *as much* as you do...I'm on YOUR SIDE.

Which, of course, was already conveyed quite neatly in the phrase "I feel for you guys"...

See how that works...?

;)

Well, some of us have to buy and read new comics or else you won't be able to hoard the new issues you want for pennies on the dollar years later. ;)

Oh man, Fo, you got me all wrong. Nothing would make me happier than to see the demise of new comics in the monthly format, if only because I would no longer compulsively feel the need to "keep up my runs."

Right now, my Uncanny run only goes to 450 or 460, and my Spidey run...forget it...I *might* have a solid run up to, say, issue #40 of "Vol 2" or so.

It's a pain in the rear to be an OCD completist!

;)

Oh man, Fo, you got me all wrong. Nothing would make me happier than to see the demise of new comics in the monthly format, if only because I would no longer compulsively feel the need to "keep up my runs."

I'm feeling you on that. Although I like ASM and DD right now, there are times that I've only continued to buy them to keep my runs together. I almost wish they'd just go away. lol

However, I'm slowly getting away from the addiction. For instance, I quit buying Uncanny maybe 2 years ago when Fraction started up. Just recently, I sold off everything above like 280 or so through the 500s. Got rid of all my New Mutants, Thor, etc.

There's no way I could've seen myself getting rid of those runs even a year ago, but frankly, I feel better now they are gone. My mentality quickly switched from collector to reader. I do still hoard a bit, but only books that I really love like Invincible, TWD, Proof, TM ASMs, etc. Where I previously like having a ton of comics, now I just want stuff that I loved reading.

Want a bunch of Batman 442s? doh!

Unfortunately I am so OCD to keep a complete run of ASM I feel a compulsion to keep buying the books.I personally feel that with new comics the writing and artwork is the best it's ever been.

Once I kicked my OCD on X-men it was easy to dump Spider-man. I dont think at this point they will ever return to pre-clone numbers, but honestly the buying pool is shrinking every month anyway between trades and no young kids buying anymore. BND was it for me and I havent looked back. X-men lately has toyed with my affections with a very good crossover lately, but then I saw the vampires and thought yep same old same old.

You ever think that maybe the price is going up because people aren't buying comics anymore? They're still making the books and still need to pay the artists, writers, etc. Unfortunately the burden of paying the talent and bills has fallen on the shoulders of those of us who still support modern comics. Support the hobby you love! You don't have to buy every issue or every variant, you can simply just support the artists or the writers or the story lines you like.

I'm afraid if I quit buying the books that someday there may be no books to buy and no LCS to buy them from. : (

You ever think that maybe the price is going up because people aren't buying comics anymore? They're still making the books and still need to pay the artists, writers, etc. Unfortunately the burden of paying the talent and bills has fallen on the shoulders of those of us who still support modern comics. Support the hobby you love! You don't have to buy every issue or every variant, you can simply just support the artists or the writers or the story lines you like.

I'm afraid if I quit buying the books that someday there may be no books to buy and no LCS to buy them from. : (

Well, the comic book companies are depending on guys like you. Unfortunately, they will continue to squeeze you, much like is happening to the cigarette smokers of the world. Hope you guys don't see $11 comics any time soon.

Well, the comic book companies are depending on guys like you. Unfortunately, they will continue to squeeze you, much like is happening to the cigarette smokers of the world. Hope you guys don't see $11 comics any time soon.

I don't quite think it's the same. I'm pretty sure that cigarette prices go up due to local, state or federal taxes (not sure, don't smoke don't care). I'm fairly certain no one is taxing comics to build stadiums or roads. Bottom line, cigarette prices aren't rising due to higher costs or lower sales. On the other hand, comic prices are rising for those exact reasons.

2c

I don't quite think it's the same. I'm pretty sure that cigarette prices go up due to local, state or federal taxes (not sure, don't smoke don't care). I'm fairly certain no one is taxing comics to build stadiums or roads. Bottom line, cigarette prices aren't rising due to higher costs or lower sales. On the other hand, comic prices are rising for those exact reasons.

2c

Agreed, but the onus will continue to fall on those who can't (addicted) or won't leave.

So, regardless of the mechanism for increasing prices, the trend will continue.

I,personally, was pushed to my quitting point.

2c

I realize this, however, from a business perspective you would think the companies would investigate why people continue to drop their product (prices) and what could they do to fix it (cut cost, discover new artist who are less expensive, less expensive paper, etc). They can't seem to understand the cycle of increase price- more consumers quit buying-> raise the prices to maintain revenue-> more consumers quit buying...rinse and repeat