• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Teen Titles (Silver Age)

409 posts in this topic

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread celebrating Marvel's Silver Age teen titles: Millie the Model; A Date with Millie; Life with Millie; Modeling with Millie; Patsy Walker; Patsy & Hedy; Kathy, the Teen-Age Tornado; and, My Girl Pearl. My own interests lie between late 1958 through to 1965.

They're obscure, hard to find in good shape, but really are great period fun.

I thought I'd start this off with a book I just received courtesy of 143ksk, Patsy Walker #102, August 1962. This hit the newsstand in June of 1962 and was on the shelf with Amazing Fantasy #15 and Journey Into Mystery #83. Good company.

PW102FAug62.jpg

Here's samples of Al Hartley's interior art. Hartley was probably producing some of Marvel's slickest work at that time.

PW102Interior1.jpg

PW102Interior2.jpg

PW102Interior3.jpg

PW102Interior4.jpg

I pick these up from time to time. They are fun...in moderation. I guess I'm really just a sucker for those "circle 10" and "circle 12" covers. I get a kick out of the readers who contribute designs. It must have been a gas to see your idea in print, and tweaked by a pro like Hartley!

Modeling with Millie #25, September 1963.

On the newsstand in July 1963, alongside of Avengers #1.

Modeling with Millie was the third incarnation of A Date with Millie (2nd series) #1 - 7 and Life with Millie #8 - 20. The book lasted until issue #54.

The art in this book was by Stan Goldberg (b.1932). Goldberg also had a long career as a colourist and the covers of Modeling with Millie do evidence a bright palette (especially within the yellow values) -- different from Marvel's other books.

Goldberg was a seasoned professional, but in comparison to Al Harley on Patsy Walker, his compositions are stilted. Perhaps Goldberg intentionally drew his characters in poses that echoed the mannikin form, given his subject manner. (shrug) (I believe that Hartley, 1921-2003, was far more adept at storytelling and more sophisticated at rendering the human form.)

MwM25FSep63.jpg

Modeling with Millie #33, September 1964.

On the newsstand with Amazing Spider-Man #17 and X-Men #7.

MwM33FSep64.jpg

"Another Marvel Masterpiece" House Ad from #33.

MwM33Interior1-1.jpg

I think I date myself by recognizing close to half the celebrity names. :shy: Ann-Margaret :cloud9:

MwM33Interior2.jpg

By the way, another two fine books that entered my collection courtesy of 143ksk.

Here's one from the tail end of my collecting period. Published in September of 1965, it sat on the newsstand along with ASM 31 and FF45. A good month as comics go.

MtM133FDec65CGC75.jpg

This Millie was a CGC 7.5.

ASM31FDec65.jpg

FF45FDec65.jpg

Actually, here's Patsy & Hedy from the same newsstand month. The scan tends to brutalize its condition but so be it. A Stan Goldberg / Al Hartley cover -- maybe the only one.

PH103FDec65.jpg

The letter page is a fun read.

PH103Dec65LP.jpg

And some more titles from September 1965, just for the heck of it.

JIM122FNov65.jpg

TTA74FDec65.jpg

SF24Nov65F.jpg

A slightly different take on the girls' comic scene.

Linda Carter, Student Nurse.

This is the last issue -- an all Al Hartley issue. A victim of Martin Goodman's musical "publication" chairs, it was cancelled in October 1962 and replaced in December by Amazing Spider-Man #1.

LC9Jan63F.jpg