• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Teen Titles (Silver Age)

409 posts in this topic

loverom103.jpg

Beautiful inking on this one. The GCD says either Al Harley or Vinnie Colletta. I'm tending to lean towards Colletta (shrug) as Hartley tended to provide a stronger, more varied stroke on curved lines.

I don't collect farther back than late 1958 but I sure do love Al Hartley's covers. The temptation is there. (thumbs u

That's an interesting concept. My favorite comics date from 58 to 65, but I have quite a few issues both earlier and later than those years. Do you adhere to that rule, to keep your focus on the Silver Age?

As I enjoy all genres of Marvel Comics in my period of interest as great examples of popular culture for boys and girls, I really do try to limit my purchases to a certain time period (1958-1965).

I date the emergence of Marvel Comics to the return of Kirby, Ditko and Heck to what was Atlas in mid-1958 -- shortly after the death of Joe Maneely. With Stan Lee and his brother, Larry Leiber, writing and the above artists drawing, the seeds were planted for what officially became Marvel in so many people's minds, Fantastic Four #1.

It's reasonably easy to make a visual break in the ongoing titles because of the changes in cover artists. Maneely did almost everything in the mid-fifties. He was the "house artist". When he died in the subway accident, there was an interregnum wherein John Severin and Jack Davis took over the reigns. Kirby appears with most of the covers with the December 1958/January 1959 issues.

The teen titles are more problematic in the changing of eras as their covers were dominated at this time with the work of Stan Goldberg and Al Hartley, and continued to be dominated by such.

e.g., Patsy and Hedy #61 • December 1958 • August 1958 newsstand

PH61Dec58F.jpg

This issue is actually a month earlier than the return of Kirby as it properly belongs with the November/December releases. But I couldn't resist the cover. The expression on the girl's face in the middle is priceless.

I end my interest in early Marvels with the last issues that used the Ditko-designed corner logo boxes (colophons) with a handful of February 1966 cover-dated issued.

e.g., Fantastic Four #47 • February 1966 • November 1965 newsstand

FF47FFeb66.jpg

:grin:

Yeah anything prior to 1/1960 I am not interested in either. Other then a handfull of titles i would be close to comleting from #1 up...like Rawhide Kid, Maybe TOS and TTA. I have too much as it is..will be on the new season of horders....lol.....and have to draw the line somewhere...Gives me a light at the end of the collecting tunnel also...which is nice. lol

Just arrived from eBay. A CGC 9.2, it's now been returned to full "comic book" status.

Patsy and Hedy #96 • October 1964 • July 1964 newsstand

PH96FOct64.jpg

Hedy does her best to frustrate Patsy's career goals but fate lends an unexpected hand.

PH96p12-13.jpg

As always I am a fan of house Ads.

PH96HouseAd.jpg

From first appearance, it looks like a nice 9.2 without any Golden Age bump.

MtM1.jpg

I didnt mean a golden age bump...I meant a big bump in price from guide, because its pretty hard to find at all....and in 9.2 thats a crazy copy. I would think it would go for alot over guide. Wish I had an extra 2200 and saw it before it was sold. Would love to have that copy!

Okay, I'm going to play übernerd.

I generally have no problem with date stamps, but this one is just wretched.

I'd love to know more about Millie's "origin." lol

And unless this wasn't, why not use "First appearance of Millie" on the label?

Just arrived from eBay. A CGC 9.2, it's now been returned to full "comic book" status.

Patsy and Hedy #96 • October 1964 • July 1964 newsstand

PH96FOct64.jpg

Hedy does her best to frustrate Patsy's career goals but fate lends an unexpected hand.

PH96p12-13.jpg

Cool. Looks like a comic book version of AMC's MAD MEN!